Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Feb 2004, 14:54 (Ref:868292)   #1
jph
Rookie

jph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Info on Peter Pilsworth?

I feel slightly guilty about only my second ever posting on 10-10ths being a request for information, but I would appreciate any help that can be provided. I’m trying to find out more about the career of a driver named Peter Pilsworth who raced from (I think) the late 50s to the mid 60s in, amongst others, Riley 1.5, Sunbeam Rapier, Sunbeam Alpine (the latter two entered by Alan Fraser) and a Mini Cooper S (entered by Boormans Performance Engineering). Any information on what became of him, photos etc would be much appreciated.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 15:40 (Ref:868333)   #2
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall a Stirling Moss connection early in his career, though not what it was
He also raced in Formula Junior, I think in a team with Peter Jopp
Old 12 Feb 2004, 13:40 (Ref:871913)   #3
jph
Rookie

jph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David: Thank you, that’s interesting. I certainly hadn’t been aware of any Stirling Moss connection. Pilsworth and Jopp both drove Elva-BMCs in FJ in 1959, so I guess thay could have been in the same team – there was certainly a connection later on, as they shared an Alan Fraser-entered Sunbeam Rapier in the Motor 6 hour race at Brands Hatch in 1962 and the Sunbeam Alpine that Pilsworth drove in the 1962 Tourist Trophy was the one driven earlier that year at Le Mans by Jopp and Hopkirk.

I’m intrigued by the Stirling Moss connection – can anyone throw any light?
Old 18 Feb 2004, 03:23 (Ref:877901)   #4
dereklola
Racer

dereklola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew Peter in the 1963/64 period when he raced the Mini Cooper S - as I remember he ran mid-pack in big events. He owned or managed a "racing accessory shop" in Weybridge or somewhere around there and lived in Kingston. Might it have been connected with a Boorman's car dealership? The Boorman's name rings a bell. I bought the seats from him that I used in my Mini in the 1964 RAC RAlly.

I also remember meeting his wife who helped nurse Stirling after his big shunt - I think there was a picture in their living room inscibed "Thanks for all your help - Stirling" - or something like that. There maybe other connections - I don't know.

Funny that someone should ask about Peter - I was doing a bit of reminiscing myself the other week (you tend to do that after 65) and Peter was one of those I wondered about.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 23:25 (Ref:3833121)   #5
tpilsworth
Rookie

tpilsworth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
peter pilsworth just passed away June 9th 2018

We regret to have to inform Members that Peter Pilsworth passed away peacefully last Saturday, 9th June at the age of 87. He had been suffering from ill health and dementia for some years.

A Full Member since 1994, Peter will be best remembered as a saloon car driver, first with a Riley One Point Five from 1959 to early 1962 and subsequently with a Sunbeam Rapier Series IIIA entered by the Alan Fraser Racing Team through 1962 and 1963, regularly finishing in the top three of the 1600 cc class in the British Saloon Car Championship. With his good friend Peter Jopp, Peter shared a Fraser Rapier to seventh overall and second in class in the inaugural Motor 6 Hours touring car race at Brands Hatch in October 1962. However, the advent of the Ford Cortina GT meant that the Rapier’s days were numbered so that for 1964 Peter switched to an Austin Cooper S, again achieving a strong result in the Brands Hatch 6 Hours, now a round of the European Touring Car Championship, by coming home 12th overall and third in class, sharing with Tony Rutt. Also for Alan Fraser, Peter drove a Sunbeam Alpine in the 1962 RAC Tourist Trophy at Goodwood and in the Peco Trophy at Brands Hatch.

Peter was also one of the first British drivers to compete in Formula Junior, finishing third in the first ever British Formula Junior race on 3rd August 1959 at Brands Hatch in an Elva-BMC 100 behind Ian Raby’s Gemini Mk 2 and Scott Bloor’s Elva-BMC 100. A few weeks later he won a combined Formula Junior and Monoposto Formula race at Mallory Park. In 1960 and early 1961 Peter drove the works Merlyn Mk 2, retiring from each of his three races and withdrawing from single seater racing after the car’s final failure at Snetterton.

Off track Peter had a part to play in introducing sponsorship to Formula 1. In 1959, whilst employed as a sales representative by the Yeoman Credit finance company, he discussed with Fabien Samengo-Turner, one of the three sons of the company’s founder, the idea of using motor racing as a means of promoting Yeoman Credit’s business. An introduction to Ken Gregory, Stirling Moss’s manager who had recently set up the British Racing Partnership with Alfred Moss, Stirling’s father, followed and for 1960 Yeoman Credit became the sponsor and entrant of BRP’s Formula 1 team.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 01:59 (Ref:3833126)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Rip Peter, I remember him from my days when I worked for Alan Fraser in the early 60s.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !