Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Feb 2002, 22:03 (Ref:217352)   #1
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank Sytner

What is Frank up to now anyone know.

I remember him, by him moaning all the time, at anything and everything.
Old 16 Feb 2002, 23:53 (Ref:217420)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Usually to be found these days racing in Historics, was in one of the BTCC support races at the Brands season opener last year.
This must be a first, someone's mentioned Frank Sytner and I've stayed polite about him
Old 17 Feb 2002, 00:03 (Ref:217431)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he has a few BMW dealerhsips as well, and they were once on one of those programmes on TV, possibly called "Dealers From Hell"

Old 17 Feb 2002, 00:17 (Ref:217446)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I knew he had the BMW dealerships, I didn't know they'd been featured on one of those Dealers from Hell type programmes
Old 17 Feb 2002, 10:55 (Ref:217597)   #5
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Roger Penske wanted to buy his BMW dealership!
Old 17 Feb 2002, 13:45 (Ref:217743)   #6
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone round here said Frank was on 'Neighbours from Hell'. Easy to believe!
Old 18 Feb 2002, 03:59 (Ref:218282)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especially if you are Mike Smith or James Weaver
Old 18 Feb 2002, 07:03 (Ref:218310)   #8
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I though Frank was honary life chairman of the Mike Smith fan club!

Anyway whatever happened to Mike Smith?
Old 18 Feb 2002, 10:53 (Ref:218368)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Last seen on daytime TV hosting some rather poor quiz show.
Old 18 Feb 2002, 11:38 (Ref:218380)   #10
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Last seen on daytime TV hosting some rather poor quiz show.

No that's just Anne Robinson. Easy mistake to make.
Old 18 Feb 2002, 13:06 (Ref:218423)   #11
simon_blay
Racer

simon_blay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I worked at a Mercedes Dealership of his as well, in Weston Super Mare... Nice place!!!
Old 18 Feb 2002, 14:02 (Ref:218436)   #12
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by nicker less

No that's just Anne Robinson. Easy mistake to make.
...except Anne Robinson's probably about a second a lap faster.....

Going back to Sytner- he's still very much active, and very successful, in historics, and still drives as forcefully as ever.
Old 18 Feb 2002, 15:33 (Ref:218462)   #13
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by runnyhunny
Someone round here said Frank was on 'Neighbours from Hell'. Easy to believe!
I remember seeing it - it was something to do with him wanting to change the country lanes around where he lived - something like that. Oh and his wife moaned about their neighbours being 'dirty' and 'smelly'.. Welcome to the countryside, Mrs Sytner!
Old 18 Feb 2002, 22:11 (Ref:218661)   #14
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good old Farmer Frank
Old 19 Feb 2002, 08:36 (Ref:218768)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by KA

Going back to Sytner- he's still very much active, and very successful, in historics, and still drives as forcefully as ever.
He drove a Lightweight E-Type in the Legends race at Le Mans last year. Well, briefly - the car only lasted 2 laps.
Old 19 Feb 2002, 11:50 (Ref:218827)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the risk of sounding outspoken, the facts are he has achieved what many of us dream about; ie he is sufficiently successful to be racing some fantastic cars which he owns. He drives them hard but is not a door banger. That is the benefit of Historic Racing, unlike its modern counterparts it is not a contact sport!
Old 19 Feb 2002, 11:58 (Ref:218828)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hes a good guy, in racing terms anyway - when Paul Edwards and him crashed in the F1/Tasman race at Goodwood last year he rang Paul the next day to compliment him on a good, hard race - even though his car got badly damaged. A racer, nowt wrong with that...
Old 19 Feb 2002, 12:51 (Ref:218843)   #18
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And he's just sold out to some Americans for a useful sum of money....
Old 19 Feb 2002, 13:24 (Ref:218874)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although it appears most do not consider him the life and soul of a party you have to have respect for what he has achieved, although allegedly making scaled down shells was perhaps a little to keen to win!!
Old 19 Feb 2002, 16:56 (Ref:218975)   #20
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How come he's not very liked then?
Old 20 Feb 2002, 12:05 (Ref:219399)   #21
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Any of you seen the video, 'Murray's Motorsport Moments' or something like that? A Xmas cash-in a few years ago.

Anyway, it does show some great Sytner moments though. The best is when Mike Smith, his then 'team-mate' deliberately had the wrong tyres put on Synter's car. Much use of the bleeper. Priceless, particularly all the other drivers having a good laugh.
Old 20 Feb 2002, 12:08 (Ref:219401)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

Historic Saloon Car racing is somewhat beneath him so sadly I have not had the pleasure of meeting him. Although he does have a colourful past on the track (and in local village poiltics!!) I cant help feeling a lot of it is jealousy based.
Old 20 Feb 2002, 14:53 (Ref:219480)   #23
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem is, on many occasions, Frank's Touring Car tactics have been brought to bear on other Historic racers. I've seen him help a Maserati 300S off a track with the side of his D-Type, principally because the Maserati driver was too slow getting off the racing line while being lapped. As Frank was leading the race by a country mile at the time, it all seemed a bit pointless. A bit Senna/Schlesser, if you will.

The opening of the sports car race at the first Goodwood Revival is another case in point, although I will concede that others such as Robert Brooks are not without blame at times. I mention this one because a lot of people have got the video.

And last year at a VSCC meeting at Silverstone, Julian Bronson was leading Frank into the last corner of a race, and found himself sitting in a gravel trap with a bent Lister Jaguar. I was on hand to hear the "debrief" that went on between the two of them in the pit garage afterwards...!

The one time I've actually met Frank, he seemed quite personable (sorry Carrie), but his reputation as a ruthless charger has followed him into Historics, and I for one do not care to see irreplacable machinery being used like Frank used to use a BMW M3.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 09:25 (Ref:219954)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

well I have to say as someone who races on a budget, I would be more than a little peeved if I was banged into unneccessarily. In fact at all!!! Luckily I seem to race with a gentlemanly series where contact is avoided if possible. Maybe that is why we have full grids each race?