Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Apr 2021, 17:03 (Ref:4044981)   #1171
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!coppice has a real shot at the championship!
It is utterly ridiculous . It is a one size fits all policy , and collateral damage to an understandable ban on events where spectators are of necessity packed tightly together , such as in covered grandstands .

I can already go to shops and ,from next week , myriad other places , indoors and out - and yet I cannot stand outdoors (as on a walk, in the park , on the beach, playing golf , going fishing etc ) at a race circuit. I can understand why caution is needed for very popular events , but with common sense - such as limiting total tickets - there is not even the tiniest impediment to attending club motor sport .

I don't buy the 'oh, but they can't favour one sport over another argument ' either. To take an example, the Angling Trust sought clarification that fishing was ok to practice and it has been permissible since May last year , subject to some common sense restrictions. Should I have been told to stay at home throughout , despite outdoors being safe ?
Old 7 Apr 2021, 19:20 (Ref:4044998)   #1172
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The problem is that the government, moving at the pace that it has to in this fast changing world, can't seriously be expected to differentiate between, say a football arena and a race circuit, or any other type of sporting venue that is in the open. It is far easier, and more practical, to just ban them all.

And that way they cannot be accused of favouritism, or have to deal with objections and pleadings from lobbyists and others.
Spot on.

Most disappointing decision 'though - while I had no chance of getting to the HSCC meeting at Snetterton on the 17th & 18th April due to work, I'd made plans for the MGCC at Brands Hatch the following weekend. Looks like I'll have to wait until the GT/F3 meeting at Brands on the 22nd & 23rd May with the Masters Festival the following weekend being my first tase of historics this year.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4044999)   #1173
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!
My simplistic view of it is that it is, of course, deeply disappointing that the world is not as it was a couple of years ago, and we can't do what we were able to do back then; however, and this is I think important, it is not the end of the world. And I am just grateful that I am still alive and have survived almost 4 months in hospital earlier last year without catching this blasted thing.

We just have to have a little bit more patience, even if that means that we can't do exactly as we want. More important to me is that I haven't seen my children and grandchildren since 2019; watching cars going around is nowhere as urgent as that.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4045009)   #1174
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the inconsistency, the late decisions and U-turns, the lack of logic than annoys given what else can be done from next Monday.
Of course, it is minor in the global scheme of things, but it is a little bit of normality with minimal risk attached in relative terms.
Why the late decision though; who said what to whom ?
Old 7 Apr 2021, 21:00 (Ref:4045016)   #1175
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The irony is that as from Monday you can mingle all you like at Lakeside or Bluewater 10 miles up the road from Brands. So disappointing, I was due to go to the club bike meeting to break the boredom. I see no problem with treating race circuits as an exception, it's the stroke of a pen at most, it doesn't require a great deal of investigation to establish the efficacy.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 22:31 (Ref:4045025)   #1176
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
The irony is that as from Monday you can mingle all you like at Lakeside or Bluewater 10 miles up the road from Brands. So disappointing, I was due to go to the club bike meeting to break the boredom. I see no problem with treating race circuits as an exception, it's the stroke of a pen at most, it doesn't require a great deal of investigation to establish the efficacy.
I was thinking of going to that as well, it's a shame as at my age there is getting less and less opportunity to go and watch a race before I cross the finish line
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Apr 2021, 00:06 (Ref:4045033)   #1177
chrisklein90
Rookie

United States
Florida
chrisklein90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everything has been affected when the pandemic takes place. There is a vaccine now, so watching a motor show is possible.
Old 8 Apr 2021, 04:42 (Ref:4045043)   #1178
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back to yesterday's life? I dont think so. No right now. We need around 70/80 % of vaccinated people, meaning two jabs and not one. How many years to achieve this? Five, eight…
Old 8 Apr 2021, 08:45 (Ref:4045065)   #1179
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Official numbers are early April only 3,120 M people having had a second jab. Those lucky people are mainly nursing home residents. Because the statistics are "presented" you have to read carefully to know what's happening. Example: it is said that 13,660 M doses have been delivered OR are expected to be…
As to go racing its still not on top of my to do list… September may be if I survive.
Old 8 Apr 2021, 09:07 (Ref:4045068)   #1180
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
We saw at venues like Donington last year that social distancing at Motorsport events isn't that hard to do. I don't get it either that other sporting events like the snooker are fine to have crowd and plenty of other outdoor entertainment is going to be open to the public, but not motorsport
Old 8 Apr 2021, 09:18 (Ref:4045075)   #1181
justracing
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
it's a shame as at my age there is getting less and less opportunity to go and watch a race before I cross the finish line
I know what you mean, as the years roll on I seem to have an increasing number of bits that don't seem to work properly! Bizarrely last year despite the restrictions I still managed to attend 20+ race meetings across a number of disciplines and never encountered any social distancing issues, it just seems that the powers that be have totally ignored the fact that for the most part motor racing events, particularly club events, are held in vast open spaces where the chance of infection is less than standing in a supermarket queue.
Old 8 Apr 2021, 10:05 (Ref:4045080)   #1182
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah its an annoyance - particularly having seen the pictures of packed beaches and parks over recent sunny days. My first race of the year this coming weekend at Oulton was always going to be no-spectator - which was unforunate as its our local circuit, and the one most likely for friends to attend, and I'm not doing Thruxton, which is our series' other race likely still to be behind closed doors, but it is just a bit illogically broad-brush.

Hey-ho!
Old 9 Apr 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4045317)   #1183
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Last news for historic racers, we're allowed to travel freely to go racing "à l'intérieur de notre département de résidence" or drive a maximum 30 km (crow fly may be?) outside of our area. This is a clarification. A good thing IMO, because we've better take care of our health before considering burning tyres an fuel. A un moment, il faut être ou redevenir sérieux!
Old 9 Apr 2021, 17:11 (Ref:4045320)   #1184
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Great news! At least those guidelines are easy to understand
Old Yesterday, 14:54 (Ref:4046093)   #1185
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing at Hockenhiem this weekend it’s great ....
The natives keep asking if I’ve had my jab ?
Of course I have , “ why have you all not had yours yet ? “
Smug as !
Simple things hey

Andy