Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 May 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2203809)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AMOC, Brands Hatch, 17 May, 2008

Tomorrow in other words; I had intended to post this earlier. Anyone going?

It will be interesting to see the current state of the Super GT field, a series which first saw the light of day at the AMOC Snetterton meeting last year thanks to the efforts of Stephen Archer.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2203883)   #2
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably not, as I'll be there next weekend. But may go along to watch the FJs. Used to love this meeting, and first went in 1985. Feature race won by John Harper in Cooper T53.
Old 16 May 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2204022)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be attending (unless it is pouring with rain), as I have a weekend free from work commitments and nothing else planned for the first time in a long time.
Old 19 May 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2206264)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This event always seems to be low key so I was surprised by the number of spectators that turned up for this, particularly as it was raining most of the time. I've heard it said that the racing was not particularly good but given those conditions, I think there was some very good and committed driving with some good dices. Some of those that come to mind are Marco Pullen, Arthur and Boysie Thurtle, Stephen Archer and Nicholas Ruddell but, in fact, all acquitted themselves well, with very few offs. Well done to all, and the marshals and officials that kept it running smoothly. I really enjoyed the meeting despite having to spend the evening drying out.

If I have any complaints it's about Brands itself. I still think that some of the fencing is unnecessarily high, and the proliferation of speakers beggars belief. They restrict viewing and photographing opportunities and along the Cooper Straight seem entirely superfluous given those mounted further up the spectators banking. Despite, or because of their numbers, some of the commentary was impossible to hear due to the echo although that was not necessarily a loss given the nature of some the commentary that could be heard, as much of it had little to do with the racing. It is a curious characteristic of AMOC meetings that the commentaries often give the impression that we are eavesdropping on a conversation by two or three people in a pub bar.

Pics to follow, eventually.
Old 19 May 2008, 09:39 (Ref:2206274)   #5
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have quite liked to go to this one but alas couldn't make it. Good to hear it went OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
If I have any complaints it's about Brands itself. I still think that some of the fencing is unnecessarily high, and the proliferation of speakers beggars belief. They restrict viewing and photographing opportunities and along the Cooper Straight seem entirely superfluous given those mounted further up the spectators banking.
Haven't been to Brands for a while. Are the fences still low on the inside of Druids?
Old 19 May 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2206279)   #6
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking of going to this event as I've never been to one but personal appt and the rain stopped me. Looking forward to the pics, John.

I would trade PA speakers for an FM transmission anyday, but I understand the legal/broadcasting issues there.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2206300)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I enjoyed the meeting, the weather was manageable as it wasn't cold or windy, and sitting in the car with the heated seats on over lunch was enough to boost morale in time for the afternoon.

There are no catch fences on the little 'island' inside Druids.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2206311)   #8
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
There are no catch fences on the little 'island' inside Druids.
And they're still OK with spectators standing there? I guess I'm just worried about the possibility that the prime photo spot might have been restricted by now.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2206325)   #9
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2000
And they're still OK with spectators standing there? I guess I'm just worried about the possibility that the prime photo spot might have been restricted by now.
Nope it's still all open for snappers
Old 19 May 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2206327)   #10
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbryant
Nope it's still all open for snappers
Fantastic, good news
Old 19 May 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2206330)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yep, Trucko is right, but I didn't work as far round as that, as I was moving between the outside of the exit to Druids and Surtees where you can get a fairly clear sweep around Clark Curve. I did note a couple of spectators on the inside of the exit of Druids so looks like it's still available. How much more of the circuit do you see from there, though?
Old 19 May 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2206331)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Beat me to it, Jon
Old 22 May 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2209057)   #13
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
If I have any complaints it's about Brands itself. I still think that some of the fencing is unnecessarily high, and the proliferation of speakers beggars belief. They restrict viewing and photographing opportunities and along the Cooper Straight seem entirely superfluous given those mounted further up the spectators banking. Despite, or because of their numbers, some of the commentary was impossible to hear due to the echo although that was not necessarily a loss given the nature of some the commentary that could be heard, as much of it had little to do with the racing. It is a curious characteristic of AMOC meetings that the commentaries often give the impression that we are eavesdropping on a conversation by two or three people in a pub bar.
I hope that I have interpreted you correctly. A friend and I were both of the opinion that much of the commentary was irrelevant to the spectator, whether casual or enthusiast.

On the other hand, the PA system was better (ie louder, so there was a greater chance of hearing something whether it was useful or not) than for years.

I agree that it is difficult on the approach to Surtees to take photos because of the proliferation of poles.
Old 22 May 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2209130)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brown
I hope that I have interpreted you correctly. A friend and I were both of the opinion that much of the commentary was irrelevant to the spectator, whether casual or enthusiast.
You have interpreted me, correctly, Alan. I was unimpressed, not for the first time at an AMOC meeting, with the commentary.
Old 23 May 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2210066)   #15
Philip Venables
Rookie

Australia
Philip Venables should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Philip Venables

Shame about the small grids- apart from FJ and Ferrari, most grids were 12 to 14 cars. I understand that AMOC have had internal problems, now largely solved. I also agree about the commentaries
Old 2 Jun 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2217555)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Pit & Paddock

Pressing on, let's set the scene for this event! The weather was consistently wet (bad!), the cars, consistently varied (good!):-

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Jun 2008 at 08:18.
Old 2 Jun 2008, 16:16 (Ref:2217915)   #17
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to ruin the shot with the brolly!
Old 11 Jun 2008, 06:51 (Ref:2225429)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 1 - Classic (Post 1960) Astons

Sarah, I think the brolly rather sums the whole scene up nicely! The rain started as I drove through the gates and continued at varying levels of intensity virtually all day. if I recall correctly, the weather was clearing up as I left the circuit!

In this first race, in condition which set the scene for the day, Bob Searles powered the DBS V8 into the lead from the start, and was never headed although the chasing group were never that far away. He won by 3.4 seconds:-

There was some very committed driving from the chasing group of 3 cars; impressive under the conditions. Although I don't actually recall any changes in position between them, it wasn't for the want of trying, and they circulated like this for the whole 20 laps, with one getting alongside another from time to time without making the change stick. The group was led by Robert Rawe in the ex Peter Foster DB4, probably the most campaigned and successful DB4 of all time. Rawe put in fastest race lap on that last lap to maintain 2nd place, on a lap which also saw both Searles and 3rd place finisher David Scott (25 - N24) do their pesonal best laps; an indication perhaps of both how hard they were trying and maybe a dry line beginning to appear (briefly!). 4th was the DB4 of Stephen Moore, seen at the back here. Just 5.7 seconds covered the first four at the end:-

It was surprising that only one car finished up in the gravel, considering the conditions, and that was Jeremy Cooke whose DB4 is see beached at Druids where he had lost it on the second lap. Tom Black passes by in his N24 on his way to 9th:-

Going through Graham Hill Bend during the early part of the race are John Lock (67 - DB4 Vantage), Paul Hipwell (14 - V8) and Patrick Cooke (V8). It was all changed by the flag though, since they finished 11th, 8th and 5th respectively:-

Out of Paddock Hill Bend, about to charge Hollywood Hill are John Goldmith (21 - DB6 lightweight - 6th) and Martin Brewer (53 - DB5 - 7th):-

Last edited by John Turner; 25 Jun 2008 at 07:35.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2228271)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 2 - Pirelli Ferrari Formula Classic

We may not think of these cars as historic but in fact the youngest in this field was built in 1991, most were over 20 years and the oldest over 30 years old, so they easily qualify.

Gary Culver, as one of the usual frontrunners led the field away, and appeared to be in control. Conditions were still bad however, and a few offs including that of Fred Honnor (20 - 308GTB) seen here at the bottom of Paddock Hill Bend brought out the red flag and a restart:-

Gary Culver (34 - 328GTB) again assumed control of the race and was unchallenged to the flag particularly since his closest rival, Marco Pullen made a poor start. Here Culver goes through Surtees:-

Whilst Pullen (13 - 328GTB) posted fastest lap in his attempt to recover gound. Using little of the track here, he was unable to do better that 5th. He was to make amends in a later race:-

John Watts (308GT4) finished 17th:-

Richard Allen takes Sam Whitman going into McLaren to finish 7th. Both in 328GTBs, Whitman was 8th:-
Old 18 Jun 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2231689)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - Aston Martin Historic (Pre 1960)

15 entered, 13 started, 11 finished. Lovely cars these, and it's a pity the grid wasn't a bit larger, but these are rare cars and Brands never seems to attract as many (particularly of the prewar Astons) as say, Silverstone does (Note - St John Horsfall Meeting is at Silverstone this coming Sunday, 22 June). Here you see the first 9 cars in qualifying order (left to right) lined up in the assembly area. Note the fine 3rd place qualifying of James Baldwin in the 1933 Le Mans model, one of only 3 prewar cars in the race. There are quite a number of classes for this series, ranging from standard road spec, to highly modified:-

On pole, and race leader until gremlins struck on lap 6 was David Reed in his 'highly modified" DB2, seen here. Chris Jolly in his DB2 went on to win the race:-

I finally had the pleasure of meeting Mark Campbell (and his father Colin, who qualified his DB2 but failed to take the start) in the pits before the race. Here he is in his 1954 DB2/4 Mk1 in which he finished 8th overall, but 3rd in class with fastest lap in that class. He did that on lap 16 of this 18 lap race, so would it be fair to say that it took a while to get into your stride in these horrible condition, Mark? (he posts here occasionally!) :-

I like this shot of Nicholas Ruddell (DB MkIII) splashing his way to 2nd:-

About to come on to the Brabham Straight, out of Clark Curve is Graham Barker who failed to finish in his DB2/4 MkII and Keith Piper, who finished 9th in his 1932 International, the oldest car in the race:-

James Baldwin was unable to hold Ruddell in the race but still came 3rd, following the demise of the early race leader - I wonder how wet the cockpit got despite the tonneau!:-

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Jun 2008 at 08:54.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2237043)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - Pirelli Ferrari Open

14 cars entered; 10 qualified; 9 finished, so a pretty poor field really, numerically anyway.

Conditions were not getting any better - spare a thought for these good folk!:-

Marco Pullen (13 - 328GTB) was on pole but a poor start by him saw Gary Culver (34 - 355) take the lead. Here Culver is several lengths clear but Pullen started to inexorably haul him in over the next few laps, take the lead and victory by 4.8 seconds:-

This appeared to be a good battle for a few laps but in fact Tim Mogridge (70) was to overtake David Hathway (19) and went onto finish 3rd, whereas Hathway dropped back to finish a lap down in 8th place (a spin?):-

Peter Rowley was 3 laps down at the end in 9th and last of the classified finishers:-

Mark L'Anson finished 4th:-
Old 25 Jun 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2237616)   #22
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yup giulty as charged. However it was only the third race I had ever done in this car in the wet. All 8 meetings last year I did were dry !!!However every race this year has been wet ( 6 so far) !! so I am improving !!!
Old 6 Jul 2008, 08:32 (Ref:2244994)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Pre War Sports Cars

Yes, a curious fact that although last year was the wettest I can ever remember, I've attended more wet meetings this year, despite it being, on the whole, much sunnier.

I think that it had actually stopped raining for this race although the track was still wet. There were 6 Astons, matched in numbers by its sister marque, Lagonda, plus 2 Bentleys and a solitary Invicta. The smallish grid coupled with performace disparities led to a fairly spread out race, which was comfortably won by the Aston Martin Le Mans of Simon Baldwin (25), nearly 23 seconds ahead of the Lagonda Rapier Special of John Boyes:-

William Medcalf brought his Bentley Supersports home in 3rd place, just 2 seconds behind the Lagonda:-

Trevor Swete was 4th in the Invicta Low Chassis Tourer, a car, I believe, that had the reputation of swapping ends at the sight of a corner when driven enthusiastically, but clearly not true here:-

Robert Lewis had his hands full with the big Lagonda V12 Le Mans Replica, on his way to 9th:-

Edward Bradley finished 8th in his Aston Martin Le Mans:-

Probably the best dice of the race was between Christopher Scott Mackirdy's Aston Martin Mk11 (20) and James Willmot Smith in his Lagonda Rapier (56). Unfortunately it ended 2 laps from the end when the Lagonda retired; the Aston went on to finish 7th:-
Old 6 Jul 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2245121)   #24
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race 3 - I think Colin Campbell went home after practice as he didnt want to race in those conditions - he has had the car forever & as far as I know never crashed it.
Chris
Old 6 Jul 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2245125)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Entirely understandable, Chris; I'm sure Mark can confirm, though.