Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 27 Feb 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2837580)   #226
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
I am really confused by the second picture. Where was it taken from and where is that grandstand located? It doesn't look like any part of Priory...
i think the bridge over the wellington straight is just to the left of the picture. and the grandstand is on the inside of the exit of bridge
Old 27 Feb 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2837613)   #227
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was taken from the Luffield Terrace, at the Bridge corner end. The grandstand you can see is the Priory stand with it's roof off ( all the grandstands are roofless over winter). The tarmac running through the centre of the picture is Priory corner.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2837951)   #228
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks, I was confused by the angle as I couldn't see the Brooklands Hospitality and BRDC Grandstand, just straight through to the trees behind Copse.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 13:59 (Ref:2837956)   #229
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The toilet block will be the one halfway from Copse, up to Becketts...

I was allowed in the 'new' bit, as a punter, for Friday Britcar practice. The marshals on Saturday were more switched on, and stopped me, and my 15 year old. I was glad he got to see things from there, if only for that practice session. Great shots from there, through Bridge.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2838604)   #230
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has just appeared on the Silverstone Facebook page.

"the old Bridge section of the circuit has been decommissioned and this has been sanctioned by the BRDC - however please note that the tarmac will still remain intact and not be removed. This decision was not taken lightly but with the development of The Silverstone Wing and the new pit lane exit, the Bridge section of the Grand Prix Circuit has been made redundant. The banked area that you have shown in your photo will open up the track at Luffield and will become a new spectator area bringing fans closer to the action."
Old 1 Mar 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2838618)   #231
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone appear to have been somewhat economical with the truth. I posted a reply on their Facebook page.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2838666)   #232
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurekB View Post
This has just appeared on the Silverstone Facebook page.

"the old Bridge section of the circuit has been decommissioned and this has been sanctioned by the BRDC - however please note that the tarmac will still remain intact and not be removed. This decision was not taken lightly but with the development of The Silverstone Wing and the new pit lane exit, the Bridge section of the Grand Prix Circuit has been made redundant. The banked area that you have shown in your photo will open up the track at Luffield and will become a new spectator area bringing fans closer to the action."
This was obviously to me when I visited the Silverstone website the other day. They are advertising tickets for a seating area which will virtually slice across the pre-Abbey chicane entrance to the bridge section. It'll probably be another temporary scaffold type structure built over some of the tarmac.

Plus what they say about the track is probably quite true, there's plenty of space to build more viewing area's on Priorys gravel traps, so there's no need to fetch the tarmac up.

Last edited by Flat12-Aircool; 1 Mar 2011 at 20:55.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2838718)   #233
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a bit hysterical on there isn't it. I was more offended by Abbey curve being obliterated in 1994, rather than what they've done this winter.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 06:16 (Ref:2891895)   #234
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bump well the new Wing is now open and was at Silverstone yesterday for FIA GT's.

The new is very impressive, however they lack one thing some public loo's in the new paddock, but as my mate said it is not for use, it is for the VIP's at the Grand Prix etc.

However the thing that did seem odd was heading for the old paddock and there being nothing there, however Silverstone did but buses on so you could get from the old paddock to the new one.

But what I would say is that there are some really good new spots to take photo's we didn't get chance to try them all.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2892305)   #235
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
However the thing that did seem odd was heading for the old paddock and there being nothing there, however Silverstone did but buses on so you could get from the old paddock to the new one.
Was there any way to get to the new paddock without using the shuttle bus? Is there another tunnel/bridge or is the only access via the Hanger Straight bridge and round the school circuit.

I'm thinking here about the potential of series like BTCC to use the Southern Circuit and still allow public access for paddock / pitlane walkabout.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2892357)   #236
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Was there any way to get to the new paddock without using the shuttle bus? Is there another tunnel/bridge or is the only access via the Hanger Straight bridge and round the school circuit.

I'm thinking here about the potential of series like BTCC to use the Southern Circuit and still allow public access for paddock / pitlane walkabout.
Redshoes,
There is no other access to the new paddock.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2892370)   #237
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

There was the ability to walk through the bit between Becketts and the loop.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2892396)   #238
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
Which did look a long old hike by the looks of things, as I say we did use the bus, however there did look to be some good points for photo's on the outside of the new loop.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2892416)   #239
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I walked the route of the shuttle bus between Village & Becketts. However, i reckon you must be able to get to the paddock from the Hangar Straight bridge, and around the outside of the Stowe Circuit. Otherwise that's just nutty.

I do hear that they will be installing a new footbridge over the S/F straight in the future.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2892454)   #240
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
But, if they use the Southern circuit, you won't be able to do that, as that area will be on the outside of the circuit.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2892457)   #241
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I reckon you must be able to get to the paddock from the Hangar Straight bridge, and around the outside of the Stowe Circuit.
Once over the Hangar bridge you had to turn right past the Driving Experience centre and past or through the Heliport which brought you out at Becketts or The Loop. The other way round via Stowe & the Vale appeared to be blocked off due to on going earth works.

The quicker option (which was my choice) was to take a bike!