Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Nov 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2986616)   #1
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
expaddockrunner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport Holidays

Has anyone taken a holiday that took in a motorsports event.

I have Nascar at Homestead, few years ago.

would like to do the new Austin F1 race, but there is doubts about it being ready in time.

Bathurst 100, is a event i would love to attend.

anyone else got any ideas.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 11:54 (Ref:2986659)   #2
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'm looking at maybe fitting Fuji WEC in with a family holiday. Although The Boss gave me A Look when I mentioned it!
It will work out fine, I'm sure...
Old 15 Nov 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2986670)   #3
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a week in Nice this year as the basis for seeing the F1 in Monaco.

More work, but much cheaper, to book it all yourself rather than go through a company.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2986676)   #4
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Combined trips to Monza, Magny-Cours, Macau, Pau with holidays before.

Planning on a trans-America trip next taking in some NASCAR/Indy/ALMS along the way.

It's a good excuse to see the world.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2986680)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
we did 2 weeks round Florida in an RV, with the Sebring 12 hours on the middle weekend.
Planning to visit #2 son in Brisbane in February, go via Sydney and Bathurst 12 hours.
Ideally I want to plan more US trips around Pike's Peak and Bonneville Speed Week.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2986687)   #6
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You mentioned going to the Bathurst 1000, that's definitely on my wish-list too. Mount Panorama is an outstanding circuit, easily one of the best in the world.

Other dream holidays would be Le Mans (going to the 24 Hours next year), Laguna Seca - probably for ALMS or Grand Am, Daytona for the 500, and San Luis for the GTs.

All I need to do is win the lottery...
Old 15 Nov 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2986693)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i do 9-10 events a year combined with holidays. the more you do, the more you learn where you can cut costs a bit to be able to do it more often

my favourites have been hungary (i discovered i absolutely loved the place, and i still haven't made it into budapest), barcelona (epic. easy to get around, and get into barcelona if you're staying near the circuit), and romania and bucharest for the sheer random factor. macau was pretty awesome too, and it allowed me to take in some family history on the way. motorsport enables you to go and see places you didn't ever think you'd have a reason or desire to go to!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2986773)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um, Is there any other holiday?

Once combine a two week holiday in Portugal with the 1990 GP at Estoril. Other than that I get 7days at Spa each year.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 00:18 (Ref:2987016)   #9
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been to Monaco twice, the first time I hired a car and bummed around the Cote de Azur for a week, the second time I hired a car and bummed around Corsica for a week.

This year I drove to Spa for the Euroseries meeting before heading down to Italy for the LMS 6 hours of Imola the following weekend. On the way back I visited Reims.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2987162)   #10
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
2012 season

Select Motorsport or Grandstand Motorsports Holidays.
Are the only big players in the motorsport holidays business, or am wrong.
I know Page and Moy, still do holidays, but it looks like only to Monaco, and only one tour.

Monaco F1 or Le Mans 24hr.
or maybe a diy holiday to the states for nascar.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2987175)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
do it diy. always do it diy. it might be more expensive (perhaps) but you decide when you want to arrive and leave the circuit, you can decide what area of town you stay in, etc etc.

more often than not i drive and book a hotel. i find so long as i have a bed and a circuit to go to, everything else is game on. the journey is as much of an adventure as the destination! for monza i like to go through switzerland because you see some of the huge lakes from the motorway, and huge tall waterfalls where the snow is melting. on the way to spain i like to use the millau viaduct, it's stunning at sunset and the climb up to 1000m+ is pretty cool too.

monaco is a good one to do on your own because it's so easy to get in and out of the principality by train. the extent of the line gives you a lot of towns that have good established hotels within a 90min train ride. once you're outside nice the hotels don't use the grand prix as an excuse to raise tickets, but the cannes film festival often clashes so it can be tricky to find somewhere.

barcelona is a superb trip to use as a holiday - my tip would be to fly to madrid, hire a car and drive over. that gives you a good chance to see a bit of the landscape and get a better idea of where you're going. then you can fit in day trips to both cities.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2987209)   #12
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've done the Pepsi 400 at Daytona while staying in Orlando, it's about 1 1/2 hours drive and no queues to get out.

We also did the nascar race at Indy a few years ago. If I went again I'd go to the Indy 500 instead.
Also there's not much to do in Indianapolis apart from the track's museum, particularly if you have kids.

We were planning a road trip from NewYork to Washington taking in
Philadelphia and Nascar at Pocono but my lads started karting so no more holidays.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2987212)   #13
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did a DIY long weekend to catch the DTM at Oschersleben, went around Bathurst in a taxi, but Melbourne F1 was the objective, will definitely go back for The Great Race
Old 16 Nov 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2987227)   #14
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple I would love to do is the Nurburgring 24Hour and also the Isle of man TT..

There are loads more I'd love to do aswell actually
Old 17 Nov 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2987767)   #15
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I forgot to mention sneaking into practice for the Spa 24 Hours on the Thursday this year. Officially, it was a family holiday based around Brussels!
Waterloo Ibis has a great Italian restaurant attatched, should anyone ever need the info...
Old 26 Dec 2011, 05:19 (Ref:3004216)   #16
daallo
Rookie

Mexico
Mexico
daallo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in Netherlands for 2 weeks and exactly in the middle I was able to go to the Spa 24 Hours/GT1/British F3 so it was awesome.

Purposedly for motorsport I've been to the Champ Car races in Monterrey and the WRC in Guanajuato (although not abroad but travels) and next year I plan to go to IndyCar in Brazil and F1 in Austin.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 08:25 (Ref:3004225)   #17
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by expaddockrunner View Post
Has anyone taken a holiday that took in a motorsports event.

Probably not what you mean,
but most of the holidays we go on I have the race car in tow
and we are of to do some sort of event somewhere.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 18:12 (Ref:3004328)   #18
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Even though I am not a massive fan of NASCAR I would love to follow the series round by car. (Something like a Shelby GT500 Mustang) Just imagine the hidden gems you would discover!

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 3 Jan 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3006648)   #19
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't go on holiday unless it involed a motor race!

All of my racing adventures so far have involved getting to the track as quick as possible, staying there the whole weekend and then getting home as quick as possible. I went to Monza last year but never went into Milan, for example...

This year, I'm doing things differently. I'm combining the Indy 500 with a week in New York City. Should be great fun!

Last edited by Down F0rce; 3 Jan 2012 at 09:29.
Old 3 Jan 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3006649)   #20
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I would always always combine a trip to a race with some sight-seeing. Otherwise it just seems like a long way to go just for a race....
Old 3 Jan 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3006706)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
I would always always combine a trip to see sights with some racing. Otherwise it just seems like a long way to go just for some sights....
corrected the priorities in that statement for you
Old 3 Jan 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3006711)   #22
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The race is the main draw for me as well... anything else is a bonus!
Old 11 Jan 2012, 14:13 (Ref:3010239)   #23
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
the 2012 grandstand book has arrived today.
time to sort out a holiday
Old 13 Feb 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3025427)   #24
robert399
Rookie

England
Worcester
robert399 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport and holidays

This is the main reason i go on this forums for tips on traveling. The Sebring fans forum has been ace as next month is my first time. Las Vegas is a good place to go if you can combine motorsport and well Vegas. I been for the nascar a few years back and the monster energy supercross cup and sadly the indy car last year.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3025472)   #25
robert399
Rookie

England
Worcester
robert399 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport and Holiday.

This is what i mainly use motorsport forums for getting information about my traveling plans. The sebring fans forum has been a mega help as this is my first trip next month. Las Vegas is a ace place to go but add a bit for motorcross its awesome. I'm looking into going to the Austin F1 race and maybe doing the S.E.M.A show in Vegas weekend before.