Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 1 Oct 2003, 20:48 (Ref:737158)   #1
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radicals

I was considering 1 of the Radical Championships for next year, but would obviously like to know a bit first!!

1)Whats the difference lap times wise between the Introsport/Clubsport and the Prosport/SR3

2)How much does it cost to run for a year, either by running the car myself (if its still possible to be competitive while doing this), or professionally?

3)I also heard at the end of last year! that Radical were planning to do a series of 1000km races. Are these going to happen?
Old 2 Oct 2003, 03:33 (Ref:737416)   #2
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to know also. These radicals look awesome - nothing like them that I know of racing in Oz more the pity.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 08:11 (Ref:737625)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Radicals are insane - especially in the wet (Sunday at Lydden there were some very sideways cars!). No idea on costs but they all seem to carry spare bodywork about with them.....
Old 2 Oct 2003, 11:14 (Ref:737817)   #4
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
No idea on costs but they all seem to carry spare bodywork about with them.....
Radicals belong in room 101.

They are covered wheelers, so the powers that be on test days put them out with saloons.

Without fail they will spend the day strutting around with their steering wheel in one hand, and crash helmet in the other, like fairy versions of ****ing F1 drivers, then plant the lot in the gravel within 5 mins of the start of the session. The rest of the session is spent watching them being extracted, thus ensuring you don't get enough track time for a setup.

After the test day they then crash into eachother with monotonous regularity until the one intact car crosses the line.

Poxy bloody things.

Stacy
(He of warped opinionated views) ;-)

p.s Fantastic business though, I wish I'd thought of it!
Old 2 Oct 2003, 11:43 (Ref:737850)   #5
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be opinionated but may be bloody right too! 'Many' radical drivers can't drive remotely fast and are purely there to pose (and be parted from their cash)
Old 2 Oct 2003, 11:56 (Ref:737871)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
are there any series you like JR?
Old 2 Oct 2003, 12:01 (Ref:737876)   #7
JR Ewing
Veteran

Yeah, you cheeky get!

FF1600, FF Zetec, FRenault, F3, URS FF2000, FVee, F4, MonoPosto, EuroBOSS, SCV8 - you may be detecting a strong single-seater bias here of course.

I love the Radical cars actually - it's just the drivers I don't like! Take over half the ****ing paddock with BMWs, 40 foot trucks and massive motorhomes, always off in the gravel in testing and like watching paint dry racing...

Last edited by JR Ewing; 2 Oct 2003 at 12:01.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 12:01 (Ref:737877)   #8
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stacy - love your view !!!! - I could never imagine you as warped or opinionated so I have to assume your description is 100 % accurate !
Old 2 Oct 2003, 12:02 (Ref:737878)   #9
JR Ewing
Veteran

it is jos
Old 2 Oct 2003, 12:21 (Ref:737903)   #10
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to say it as I love the SR3, but it does seem to be a case of throw as much cash at your car as possible and sod the driving tuition. Radical are onto a right winner, and they know it.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 12:30 (Ref:737921)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JR if you like Vee pop over at mallory to say hi.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 13:06 (Ref:737979)   #12
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Radicals are fun to drive, but I'd rather gnaw my own leg off than watch them "race"!
Old 2 Oct 2003, 13:43 (Ref:738043)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't sit on the fence you lot. Tell us what you think.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 14:31 (Ref:738109)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by stacy
the powers that be on test days put them out with saloons.
Not just test days - they race in a mixed bag of cars at the SEMSEC meetings 'sports and saloons' or something similar. It's a pretty varied grid - radicals, Jades, Westfields, Caterhams, Cosworths, Minis, silhouettes of various things (metro, mini and imp), I think there was a BMW out there as well.

The rain on Sunday certainly made it interesting - the Jades and Radicals normally run off and hide but the wet weather meant that the saloons etc could play with them as they struggled for grip (it started raining on the green flag lap - everyone was on slicks).

Generally the radicals at SEMSEC meets don't get bashed up too much but I guess that's because they'd have to be stupid to argue with a cosworth.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 14:37 (Ref:738117)   #15
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
Stacy - love your view !!!! - I could never imagine you as warped or opinionated so I have to assume your description is 100 % accurate !
You know, I've been told that so many times now.. ;-)
Old 2 Oct 2003, 14:44 (Ref:738123)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
SEMSEC is great fun...
Old 2 Oct 2003, 16:59 (Ref:738255)   #17
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every track day I have ever done has had the first session stopped after 30 seconds because a Radical has dumped it into a gravel trap or wall.

I was beginning to think it was just me giving out bad karma.

Agree it is a good concept, unlike most single make junk they are at least competitive elsewhere (or at least the proper tuned ones are).
Old 2 Oct 2003, 20:11 (Ref:738442)   #18
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, see your point!! I realised they were quick after not only looking at their website but also seeing them at meetings. If they are like that though i am not so sure!!

As you said its a great concept(in my opinion) as it is actually a one make car that looks like a baby sports prototype.

Are the driving standards that bad in the Radical organised races or is it just on the trackdays etc?
Old 2 Oct 2003, 21:06 (Ref:738481)   #19
Jamie P-E
Racer

Jamie P-E is a back marker
The driving standards are far from bad. The Company I work for run an SR3 in the series and I know that the races are very hard and fraught with good scraps up and down the field.

Can I just ask all those people who've said that Radicals are a waste of time, how many of you have been to a round?

Tom- don't be put off by the comments of some people, the best this to do is to either go to a round or e-mail the champinionship co-ordinator who'd I'm sure be more than happy to answer any questions.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 07:47 (Ref:738923)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's right Jamie. Support your favoured championship against these knockers.

Even if it is boring with some really poor driving standards (as witnessed by me and many other drivers).
Old 3 Oct 2003, 07:49 (Ref:738926)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Even if it is boring with some really poor driving standards (as witnessed by me and many other drivers).
Funny, that's how it looks to a lot of marshals as well!
Old 3 Oct 2003, 07:56 (Ref:738931)   #22
JR Ewing
Veteran

I've (sadly) seen far, far too many Radical races Jamie.

I never said they were a waste of time either - the cars are great, just a majority (though not all of course) of the drivers are slow (and exhibit appaling standards) and are arses too in the paddock.

Last edited by JR Ewing; 3 Oct 2003 at 07:57.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 10:21 (Ref:739055)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I have to say I've watched a few radical races the best one being on the indy circuit in 2000 - fantastic race.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 11:15 (Ref:739157)   #24
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radical is a great concept, Hyde / Abbott have obviously done remarkably well out of it.. deservably so! The cars are also, quick, look good and seem to be built pretty well.

However, that doesn't make for spectator / marshal friendly racing! But I don't think it's supposed to be.. probably good value for the racer and that's where the money is!
Old 3 Oct 2003, 13:45 (Ref:739363)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good value for the racer? Isn't the budget about 50k per season plus breakages?

Do they appear on any major calendars? At that price (if true) they should be putting races on at Brit GT/F3 meetings.