Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 4 Oct 2003, 16:50 (Ref:740402)   #26
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was interested in doing Radicals next season until I found out that every spare for the car has to be bought through the Radical factory! You are not allowed to repair your bodywork or fabricate wishbones etc.I am sure that if the regs were changed to allow a bit more freedom the grid sizes would rocket as they are fantastic little cars.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:10 (Ref:741701)   #27
NeilJM
Rookie

NeilJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TomS

This is my first time here so here goes!
You should definitely consider doing radicals next year as they look & sound fantastic and are extremely quick. To answer your questions:
The Endurance class (SR3 & Prosports) are on average 5-6 seconds quicker than the sprint class (Introsport & Clubsport) obviously depending on the length of track. eg Donington short SR3 time is about 1m 7.5s and Clubsport is about a 1m 13.5s. I cannot comment on the difference between introsport & clubsport. The difference between a prosport & an SR3 is minimal. A prosport is actually faster over a race distance as it looks after it's tyres better, over 1 lap the diff is negligible, however at Spa last weekend was the first time an SR3 has won the race outright. I think Radical are looking at addressing this problem next year, possibly by using different tyres on the SR3.

Costs: mmmmmm as much as you want! We ran a clubsport in 2001 ( and won the championship!) on our own. So obviously we were not paying labour & rent on any premises. We bought a second hand clubsport for £14,500. We did one test per race weekend (ie 14 test days & 14 race weekends) and spent about £17500 including tyres. There was fortunately no accident damage and we had the engine refreshed halfway through the year. This was an excellent introduction.
We then did Prosports the year after, again running it ourselves, but we did then charge a paying driver to share the car. It is difficult to put a figure on running costs as it was a unique deal with the paying driver. We are running an SR3 this year and talking to other teams the standard amount per race weekend is about 4-5k. However, this is for sole use of the car, if you share the car (as the championship is intended) you obviously halve this cost. I know this a not a complete answer but turn up to a radical meeting and talk to the teams. The last meeting of the year is at Donington on the 18/19 Oct. Do not be put off by the big team trucks, me & my 2 brothers run our car and we came 2nd in the Prosport championship last year and are in with a chance of winning the SR3 title this year, and we work on our car in the evenings and we are by no means a professional team!
I am afraid I don't know about the 1000km races.

I have read all the derogatory comments about radicals and I am perplexed! I can only assume the criticisms about driving standards must apply to track days or non Radical organised races. Obviously there are accidents, Pembrey this this year was appalling admittedly, but I suggest any of you critics ask Martin Donnelly what he thinks of the Champsionship. Or perhaps I could take you round in our SR3 in the passenger seat, I am sure you will then change your view about the cars!

Regards
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:21 (Ref:741705)   #28
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do often wonder why people on here slate cars without actually know much about them, I've not driven a Radical - they look like great fun, and the timing sheets show that they are potent.

I have watched radicals racing a they are as good as any one make series, some really good scraps.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:37 (Ref:741722)   #29
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Pomfret
I was interested in doing Radicals next season until I found out that every spare for the car has to be bought through the Radical factory! You are not allowed to repair your bodywork or fabricate wishbones etc.I am sure that if the regs were changed to allow a bit more freedom the grid sizes would rocket as they are fantastic little cars.
Such 'freedom' would affect profits big-time based on the some of the spares proces I have heard quoted.

Before you go on again SS, I've driven radical and they are great fun cars...
Old 6 Oct 2003, 10:47 (Ref:741734)   #30
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For once wasn't after you JR!! but thse who say radical racing is dull? I must have missed all the dull races then...

Though sying that endurance racing is never as exiting as a ten lap sprint race.
Old 6 Oct 2003, 20:23 (Ref:742305)   #31
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks NeilJM. Its nice to get a rough idea on costs!!

Professionally prepared sounds like too much for me and I think that Prosports/SR3 does too!! I will definately look into the Introsport/Clubsport series for next year though!

I dont know what you mean about endurance racing not being as exciting as a ten lap sprint as a sprint is over SO quickly you never get settled in!! Anyway its more track time for the driver!!

Thanks Again
Tom
Old 6 Oct 2003, 21:48 (Ref:742378)   #32
Jamie P-E
Racer

Jamie P-E is a back marker
Tom, as NeilJM said why don't you go up to Donington for the final round so you can get an idea of how friendly the atmosphere is off the track and how competitive it is on the track. I can guarentee from personal experience that you'll enjoy watching the races.

Jamie
Old 6 Oct 2003, 22:52 (Ref:742419)   #33
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, hybrid, I too would like to see Radicals in Australia. I think it would have been a better idea than those Legends (Aussie racing cars). We have plenty of tin top type Series and I reckon a sports car thing would add variety. I think there is an Aussie agent for Radicals however?
Old 7 Oct 2003, 08:14 (Ref:742700)   #34
Bostik
Racer

Bostik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We prepared and ran our Radical Clubsport in the BiDuro series after many years of karting and a couple of years of Renault Spider, and its a very quick, and safe clubbie race car. A good s/hand Clubsport like ours would cost you about £13k - and you need about £1000 per event (2 x 20 minute spint races with 30 minute test and qualifying)for entry fees, consumables, and tyres. They're quick too - around the Brands GP circuit, a talented driver like Ross Kaizer is faster than many of the SR3s (1:30s).
The costs of Endurance racing are of course much higher - entry fees/tyres/fuel etc in proportion to track time - but most SR3s share the cost between two drivers. As was said earlier, probably about £2k each per event and test.
The cost and quality of this class can therefore attract the seriously wealthy - and yes, one of those 40 foot Radical trucks is indeed the Spares Truck!!
But dont fool yourself - the likes of Michael Vergers, Ziad El Akabi, Nigel Greensal, Nick Dudfield know what they are doing - these boys are not slouches.
So if you fancy your chances against Martin Donnelly doing 2:25s around Spa - good luck to you!
If you fancy your chances at Donington this month in my Clubsport - see me an e-mail.
Old 11 Oct 2003, 15:01 (Ref:747293)   #35
alec dudfield
Rookie

alec dudfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Neil.

Well said Neil!

...1 min 7 . 5 secs at donington eh?...

Should be a great weekend and some excellent racing.

Regards Alec
Old 11 Oct 2003, 16:00 (Ref:747350)   #36
mbvv
Rookie

mbvv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toms

you should talk to people/teams who quit racing radicals instead

drive shaft failures, wheel hub failures, too expensive spare parts, engine failures, teams using 4/5 sets of tyres/weekend, a lot of politics, radical owners racing in the series themselves (hyde, abbott, greaves) and clashing with their customers

they used to have a forum, what happened with it ?

1000k : yes, in their first ad's it was suggested you could race an sr3 in the spa 1000k races, later they had to change it and to ad "subject to approval by the FIA"

the cars may be great, but which one to choose , an introsport or clubsport or a prosport, what about an sr3 (which engine ?) or wait for the "new" sr4
what about racing in another series and wait until 2005 to buy the "new" sr5
Old 11 Oct 2003, 18:57 (Ref:747476)   #37
Jamie P-E
Racer

mbvv, are you trying to imply that the cars are very fragile. I think that you are wrong. When any team goes into a race meeting no-one can predict what is going to happen in either the qualifying or race so I think that this is another post slating a well supported series, and I'm sure NeilJM will back me up on this.

Jamie
Old 12 Oct 2003, 13:20 (Ref:748295)   #38
alec dudfield
Rookie

Radicals are eligible for a number of long distance races. Indeed they are being campaigned very successfully in the V de V championship in Europe doing races of up to 12 hrs.

With regard to MBVV's rather negative comments, I can only speak as I find. The enduro championship is not cheap, but, it offers incredibly fast racing with a competitive field, at proper circuits. IMHO There is no other championship that combines all these factors as successfully.
I have found the guys at Radical to be helpful and pro-active, technical issues are resolved quickly and openly. There are always people who will 'knock' the championship and the product but do not seem able to offer any positive solutions or realistic alternatives.
I am sure my team will be on the Radical Grid in 2004!!!!

Alec
Old 13 Oct 2003, 08:03 (Ref:749143)   #39
NeilJM
Rookie

Alec
I knew it wouldn't be long until the voice of reason discovered this forum!
I stand corrected on the times from Donington, maybe I meant 1m 8.5s?! Oh well. See you at the weekend

Neil
Old 13 Oct 2003, 12:46 (Ref:749493)   #40
alec dudfield
Rookie

Do you reckon mbvv has a belgian accent??? ?
Old 13 Oct 2003, 13:13 (Ref:749540)   #41
NeilJM
Rookie

I think you have hit the nail on the head, Alec, or maybe MBVV did not life the parts correctly?
MBVV has very kindly let us into the race winning secret, 4-5 sets of tyres a weekend!!! We use 6 tyres, as the rules specify, and roll those tyres on to the next test. It was my understanding that most people did this, but I suppose throwing tyres at it is one way to be artificially quick.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 13:26 (Ref:749567)   #42
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NeilJM
maybe MBVV did not life the parts correctly?
Any series where parts are 'lifed' is deffo too expensive.
Old 13 Oct 2003, 17:29 (Ref:749933)   #43
alec dudfield
Rookie

I understand 'lifing' to be managed replacement of parts that wear and / or are subjected to high stress loads that might cause fatigue. Whether or not that process is too expensive...depends on what the life of each part is, wouldnt you say?
Old 19 Oct 2003, 17:05 (Ref:756141)   #44
Jamie P-E
Racer

what happened in the race today.
Old 22 Oct 2003, 07:59 (Ref:759117)   #45
alec dudfield
Rookie

Race One
1) Vergers/ Moseley
2) Richards / Dudfield
3) Moulton / Moulton
(ND secures SR3 Championship)

Race 2
1) Coleman / Greensall
2) Donnelly / Redwood
3) Aspinall / Kaiser
(NG wins Prosport Championship)
- Simon Moulton and Mike Richards both forced in to Redgate gravel trap off start.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 00:23 (Ref:761394)   #46
Hybrid
Racer

Hybrid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a manufacturer of racing cars I would be very interested in carrying on the discussion on "lifing" of parts. I have never "lifed" a part but do use parts That I now are not the absolute best for the application.
Would you like to discuss this in another thread ? or continue here.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 16:52 (Ref:762817)   #47
Sideways-Fast
Rookie

Sideways-Fast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote by Alec Dudfield: (Simon Moulton and Mike Richards both forced in to Redgate gravel trap off start.)
Did you actually watch the Mike Richards incident? Richards was overly aggressive, leaving no room at all for his competitor. This incident was very much of his own making and maybe next time he'll show a bit of respect for his competition.......Or move into touring cars, where his "tactics" would be more than welcome.....
Old 25 Oct 2003, 18:33 (Ref:762909)   #48
alec dudfield
Rookie

Dear Sideways,

In answer to your question:did I watch the incident?

I can answer yes.

My first view was from atop my tyre trolley in the pit lane, an oblique reverse angle that did not give an objective view, but my initial reaction was 'how have they (the lead 2 cars) managed to tangle? ' when it appeared that Mike held at least one car lengths advantage into the braking zone.

After the race I reviewed the video tape of the start from camera posts 1 + 2 (In Race Control) they indicated that contact was made with the rear of car 4 deep into the braking zone and I concluded that the driver of the car making contact (Stuart Moseley, a driver whom I consider to be both fair and highly skilled) had made an error. It was as the oft used phrase goes 'A racing incident'.

I have no axe to grind, the team had already won the Radical SR3 Championship the race was about having fun, consolidating other drivers positions and entertaining our guests; we did all three!

We cannot wait for the 04 season to start, Mick Hyde and the Radical team have an exciting calender unveiled and I expect the racing to be as keen as ever.

Regards,

Alec

(With your razor sharp punditry, perhaps you ought to apply for James Allen's job on ITV-F1 )
Old 26 Oct 2003, 20:10 (Ref:763864)   #49
Sideways-Fast
Rookie

Sideways-Fast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Alec, it was definately a racing incident. Perhaps i'm looking through Rose tinted spectacles when i think back to the days ( not too long ago ), that racing was always hard in any category, but drivers showed each other a lot more respect?
Maybe it's the touring car culture creeping into every form of motor racing...!
Thanks for a valued, honest opinion.
Oh, and i take it that the comment about my razor sharp punditry was rather sarcastic?!!!- Gave me a giggle though!
Congrats on the series win too...
Regards
Very Sideways-fast!