Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 15 Oct 2003, 12:28 (Ref:752071)   #51
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It's a simple law of economics "The lower the price - the more you sell "
Then there is the accountant's law of economics "Sell less for more and get the same revenue". Unfortunately accountants seem to run a lot of organisations and companies now, not the people who know the specific business.
Sorry if I have upset any accountants, NOT.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 12:39 (Ref:752092)   #52
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
*gulp* I hope bankers are not included Mr Mob?
Old 15 Oct 2003, 12:40 (Ref:752093)   #53
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I hope bankers are not included Mr Mob?

Nah.....lend us a fiver
Old 15 Oct 2003, 12:45 (Ref:752100)   #54
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Rule no 1 when talking to a banker....establish interest rates before dealing
Old 15 Oct 2003, 12:48 (Ref:752106)   #55
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
OK, you can pay me 5%
Old 15 Oct 2003, 12:55 (Ref:752113)   #56
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
*rolls around the floor clutching his side as the tears of laughter run down his face*
Old 15 Oct 2003, 12:57 (Ref:752115)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's RATFCHSATTOLRDHF.

For those who can only read net speak.
Old 15 Oct 2003, 18:21 (Ref:752527)   #58
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rescue units: My mistake I posted something ambiguous that could be misconstrued so please allow me to qualify what I said: Yes, Rescue Units do make a year on year operating surplus BUT every 5 – 7 years the vehicle needs replacing. We are looking for a replacement for one of ours at the moment and the quotes for the specification needed are in the region of £23 – 25,000 + VAT. Then there is the equipment: each of our Centre’s two units is equipped to FIA standards (that means when they arrive at the clubbie incident they have the same capability as they would arriving at an F1 one, and so they should, but not all do). The equipment on each unit is valued at over £20,000 + VAT. This equipment has to be maintained and replaced. So, we have potential overall replacement costs of upwards of £90,000. True those costs don’t all come at once and true the MSF gives grants towards some costs but we still have to balance those books. Hence the vehicles do make in year surplus on operating costs. Over the operating life of a unit though I would suspect that they are relatively cost neutral, and very good value for money too!

So, please can we put that to rest and concentrate on where the Club has LOST money and who might be responsible for those loses, as this is probably key to the EGM?

Those who will be attending ought to ask themselves who made the decision to invest in, for example, Eurocars, or ISC, or similar ventures? As a Centre Committee member I have never been consulted on such decisions, only informed after the fact. So where does the blame lie? With the employed staff or with the shadowy “Management Board” that meets more regularly than the “official” Board and whose membership I believe (although I stand to be corrected) is remarkably similar to the membership of the Board that will result if the EGM proposals are accepted?

I would point you back to the “hard” questions that Rob and I have posted earlier in this thread and encourage everyone attending the EGM to ask these and any others you can think of to make certain that the decision made at the EGM is in the best interest of the MEMBERS, not the Board. Let’s get entry fees down, more support for Marshals, better grids etc., but let’s think very hard about who we hand the control of the Club over to.

Apologies for this, I better get off and start tea now, my blood sugar / alcohol content must be low!
Old 16 Oct 2003, 07:15 (Ref:752945)   #59
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Without going into specifics, I attended a meeting last night where the assembled people were assured of additional support for marshals by the BRSCC (and others).

It would be fair to say that once the new owners of the Brands Hatch circuits is known, negotiations can begin with regard to circuit hire. We all know that circuits have regularly increased their hire charges (they are a business with shareholders after all) and those charges have to be either passed on or absorbed by the clubs.

If we manage to go the route suggested and amalgamate series and thus increase grid sizes, it follows that the clubs will receive additional income. ie, more entry fees for the same circuit hire cost. That should enable all clubs to review the costs they pass on to drivers wouldn't you say?

With regard the EGM, members should try to attend, but then they should try to attend all meetings, not just EGM's. If you go to any clubs AGM for example you will only see a fraction of the membership there.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 09:36 (Ref:753032)   #60
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't we get more races per day. In the early 70's at Lydden and Brands the brilliant TEAC ran 10 races (and practice sessions ) on both Sat and Sunday - with entry fees of £9 and fantastic uninterupted racing for every moment of the day for spectators - I don't want to watch hours of the clerk of the course touring round in a borrowed road car for no sensible reason - currently there is a complete disregard for customers - that is at the root of the whole situation.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 10:56 (Ref:753098)   #61
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RTH - Some years ago the MSA introduced the 'racing ahead' format which was designed to achieve just that by cutting out the 'overheads' that aren't actual racing.

Anybody know why it disappeared?

I thought it worked quite well.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:08 (Ref:753110)   #62
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably because BRSCC went for 'double headers' instead (= double entry fee). Some also objected to very short practice, ~5laps.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:20 (Ref:753120)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Another point was that races would often get stopped due to the need to clear up an accident. Because the schedule was so tight they would have to curtail or reduce the length of later races. Racers stopped entering because they couldn't be sure of getting a full race distance and if it ran to a reduced length would get no refund.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:58 (Ref:753149)   #64
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Denis Bassom
RTH - Some years ago the MSA introduced the 'racing ahead' format which was designed to achieve just that by cutting out the 'overheads' that aren't actual racing.

I thought it worked quite well.
I used to enjoy that format too. It only had one downside as far as I was concerned and that was remembering that they usually didn't have a green flag lap and therefore we had to keep the pit wall clear without the countdown boards to remind us! Of course, there was then the added problem that if cars had qualified in the dry and then it rained then they did have a green flag lap. Cars on slicks who should have had one gfl then had two ....

Still, it was a good format despite that. Don't 750 MC still do it?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 13:52 (Ref:753281)   #65
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not everything from it disappeared.

Who still remembers (apart from internationals these days) the old FULL five minute countowns with the grid teeming with mechanics and hangers on.

(Then again who remembers Don Trumans "15 second" quick minutes.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 15:03 (Ref:753366)   #66
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Mallet - If people crash a lot now there is still the danger of curtailed/cancelled races. Whilst the current faffing around does build in a bit of contingency I think the application of some modern technology/thought would improve things drastically.

Stroller - Wondered what those numbered boards were for. Funny, the person holding them up seems to be working to a different time system to the clock on my dashboard display. If the person putting them up is just leaving enough time between them to go and get the next board then is there really any point?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 15:10 (Ref:753374)   #67
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
My point was that it takes longer to remove cars than it does bikes and the concept was picked up from bike meetings. So if you cram the programme then delete/cut short races people are going to go aren't they?

Modern technology still won't solve the problem of people like me who occaisionally hit barriers. Not a hobby just sometimes it happens.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 15:10 (Ref:753375)   #68
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
There's probably a regulation somewhere that states they have to be shown.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 15:16 (Ref:753379)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Its the Blue book. Can't remember exactly which clause though.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 15:40 (Ref:753398)   #70
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There's probably a regulation somewhere that states they have to be shown.
I think they can specify the type of grid countdown in individual championship regs.

Again specific regs for specific races and no "commonality"
Old 16 Oct 2003, 17:35 (Ref:753488)   #71
dogsbody
Racer

dogsbody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst the term "racing ahead" may have disappeared elements do still remain. 750 do run many races without the need for a green flag lap which reduces the length of the overall day by cutting out anything up to 5 minutes per race (except when it rains as mentioned before) but then many of their series get fewer laps for their money at our venue. Then again they may well get a heat and final. Another idea adopted by our BRSCC Centre has been the timed races (whenever championship regs permits). This means all drivers get the same amount of track time, some get more laps, others get less because they are slower (but not much) and the format helps get the day done on time, even when it rains.

As for countdown minutes our philosophy is how fast can the person showing the boards run?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 17:50 (Ref:753503)   #72
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Stroller - Wondered what those numbered boards were for. Funny, the person holding them up seems to be working to a different time system to the clock on my dashboard display. If the person putting them up is just leaving enough time between them to go and get the next board then is there really any point?

Did you not realise that most circuits are on metric time........ten seconds to the minute and ten minutes to the hour. More EEC policy
Old 16 Oct 2003, 18:13 (Ref:753517)   #73
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Another point was that races would often get stopped due to the need to clear up an accident. Because the schedule was so tight they would have to curtail or reduce the length of later races. Racers stopped entering because they couldn't be sure of getting a full race distance and if it ran to a reduced length would get no refund.
In the TEAC days the next grid went out as the last race was on its slowing down lap at least 4 breakdown trucks raced across the infield put a hook under the damaged car towed it in with the driver still on board - and the clerk of the course stayed where he should be high up in race control directing operations by simultaneous telephone to each marshal point - it worked with military precesion , everyone was drilled to do their job instantly on their own initiative without interference - we thought this normality woud remain in racing forever - now the time wasting is truly pathetic. Its a disgraceful shambles with too many "chiefs" as a result competitors are priced out of racing and the endless dead track time keeps spectators away in their thousands . What happened to common sense ?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 18:20 (Ref:753524)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Richard. Can only agree wholeheartedly. I'm not a BRSCC member I'm BARC and I can only give praise to them for generally being good organisers. They do things that get up my nose sometimes but I've noticed that the only time we get real problems is Btands Hatch. Yes we do get stoppages etc. elswhere but its Brands where the curtailment/excessive running under the SC occurs most.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 21:44 (Ref:753736)   #75
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going back to "Barny"'s note-the BRSCC WOULD like a monopoly...the forthcoming (and decently priced!)FF1600 meeting at Silverstone has apparently made the phones at West Malling the hottest in the land...with some not to pleasant rants and raves from that HQ being delivered to certain phones at the Northampton circuit I hear because they feel hard done by-SHAME!