Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Mar 2014, 05:26 (Ref:3376020)   #3751
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
The sound issue will sort itself out. If a lack of sound turns people away, then the organising bodies and manufacturers will bring the sound back. So we'll just have to see.
No i don't think so... in the streets ppl are already used to very low sounds from cars (compared to a couple of decades ago)

Better will be mandatory in the circuits a multi channel closed TV circuit in the DT-H technology... you could pay some extra to have access to a digital key(or several) and the respective decoding device... and follow on your tablet/laptop/portable set **all the time** ( as long you like) your favorite car and or driver from *onboard* ( or more than one -> more than one key).

This will be different from regular TV transmissions... with frankly a stupid production program with 2/3 or more of the time focusing on the pit stops... this would bring many ppl to the circuits, i for sure would prefer to go whenever the chance than watch eurosport or something like that.

[ perhaps not a good idea ... without a earphone police LOL or something... i just imagine 10 thousand people in the same stadium balcony all with devices making sounds from transmissions onboard... that could be hell lol ... ummm... perhaps onboard transmissions but without sound.. boring ]

Last edited by hcl123; 7 Mar 2014 at 05:36.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 06:49 (Ref:3376030)   #3752
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Audi's made it very clear they believe that sound is wasted energy. I think forcing manufacturers to keep/make their cars loud would have detrimental effects on their participation and engineering.

This is really the age old argument of sound vs. speed, which may be a false dichotomy. In the end, how many people will be attracted by technology vs. how many people will be turned away due to lack of noise? What is really the heart of racing's spectacle?
Old 7 Mar 2014, 07:21 (Ref:3376034)   #3753
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Getting back on to the 919 hybrid: According to John Dagys both the Audi and Porsche LMP1s are completing an endurance test tonight.
https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/441757356506902529
Old 7 Mar 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3376064)   #3754
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to you, what should be approximately the absolute pressure given by the single turbo on this V4 engine producing around 500 hp at 9000 rpm and considering the limited consumption ? (I mean absolute pressure = atmospheric pressure + overpressure). The regulation says :"Ratio of supercharging pressure must not exceed 4.0".
Old 7 Mar 2014, 10:01 (Ref:3376075)   #3755
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Very nice interview with Neel Jani: http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/nee...avant-le-mans/

The vibrations issues of V4 have been resolved since the Bahrain test, where they were able to drive more than 1000 km in one day

Jani first tested the car in August. The track testing program has been very intensive. In 2013 they did at least one week of testing every three weeks In 2014 the intensity is a bit less: 4 to 6 weeks between testing sessions.

Jani misses the wider tyres from last year. The cockpit visibility has improved barely with the new rules.

He predicts that nobody will not show what they are capable during the WEC test at Paul Ricard and probably even not in Silverstone and Spa. The true potential will only be shown in Le Mans.

The hybrid systems are very parameterizable. They can choose release the electric power on the straights or at corner exits, depending on the track characteristics.

The car improves continuously. Another endurance test is planned before Le Mans.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 10:08 (Ref:3376078)   #3756
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
According to you, what should be approximately the absolute pressure given by the single turbo on this V4 engine producing around 500 hp at 9000 rpm and considering the limited consumption ? (I mean absolute pressure = atmospheric pressure + overpressure). The regulation says :"Ratio of supercharging pressure must not exceed 4.0".
Since the engine still revs fairly high (9000 rpm), the boost pressure will probably not be that high.

For reference, the 2013 LMP1 regulations restricted to turbo boost to 2.5 bar (absolute pressure) for 2.0 liter petrol engines and 2.8 bar for 3.7 liter diesel engines.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3376097)   #3757
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The sound issue will sort itself out. If a lack of sound turns people away, then the organising bodies and manufacturers will bring the sound back. So we'll just have to see.
I don't think this is gonna happen. New generations just will get used to more and more dull sounding race cars. And not everybody likes the noise. I've met some people who went to see the F1 but left the venue after 15 minutes because of the noise. But those weren't really motorsports fans rather than quasi-F1-fans who just got tickets from their employer.

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 7 Mar 2014 at 11:41.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3376102)   #3758
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
I don't think this is gonna happen. New generations just will get used to more and more dull sounding race cars. And not everybody likes the noise. I've met some people who went to see the F1 but left the venue after 15 minutes because of the noise. But those weren't really motorsports fans rather than quasi-F1-fans who just got tickets from their employer.
That's what I mean. Either the masses will grow used to the lack of noise - or they won't, and then a solution will be found.

I just don't buy all this "silence will KILL the sport" nonsense that crops up whenever some fans talk about the new generation of powertrains.

All shall be well.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 12:17 (Ref:3376103)   #3759
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
That's what I mean. Either the masses will grow used to the lack of noise - or they won't, and then a solution will be found.

I just don't buy all this "silence will KILL the sport" nonsense that crops up whenever some fans talk about the new generation of powertrains.

All shall be well.
For me sound is a huge part of the live experience. If the live experience doesn't differ much from the at home experience, I might give Le Mans a rethink.

You would never catch me at a Formula E race, for that matter. If Le Mans goes that way, it's bye bye for me.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3376114)   #3760
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
You think that exactly same original audio track of the video transformed into DTS/Dolby/whatever format would make the Porsche sound any louder? Recompressing and as a result lowering the audio quality doesn't magically remove perceived decibels from the exhaust note.
I suspect the real culprit here is the automatic level control of the camcorder.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 14:05 (Ref:3376135)   #3761
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
You think that exactly same original audio track of the video transformed into DTS/Dolby/whatever format would make the Porsche sound any louder? Recompressing and as a result lowering the audio quality doesn't magically remove perceived decibels from the exhaust note.
I never said it would. What audio compression does is it squashes the bass and treble frequencies, so all the mid range frequencies are more prominent, which to the human ear produces a more bland and colourless sound.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3376136)   #3762
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123 View Post
lol ... no!... get used to it... Porsche sound is very little higher than the Audi's diesel (and its a smaller engine).

golden rule... the higher the "efficiency" the lower and more choked or hushed the sound is( no fuel burning in the exhaust pipe)... and no matter if its a petrol, and in the future the distinction will be nill/zero/nada! lol..
Get used to what, audio compression?
Old 7 Mar 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3376137)   #3763
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
For me sound is a huge part of the live experience. If the live experience doesn't differ much from the at home experience, I might give Le Mans a rethink.

You would never catch me at a Formula E race, for that matter. If Le Mans goes that way, it's bye bye for me.
I agree with this. The sound is kind of 'aura', when you can - adding to hearing it - feel the power of the engines. It's the same thing with a 100 watt guitar amp.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 14:50 (Ref:3376154)   #3764
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I never said it would. What audio compression does is it squashes the bass and treble frequencies, so all the mid range frequencies are more prominent, which to the human ear produces a more bland and colourless sound.
Actually, compression reduces the dynamic range, eg difference between loudest and softest, selective compression can affect specific frequency ranges but generally diminishing high and low frequencies is filtering or just limited response as in poor fidelity.
I suspect the real culprit here is the automatic level control of the camcorder.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 15:05 (Ref:3376159)   #3765
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Actually, compression reduces the dynamic range, eg difference between loudest and softest, selective compression can affect specific frequency ranges but generally diminishing high and low frequencies is filtering or just limited response as in poor fidelity.
So you're saying compression can effect high and low frequencies?
Old 7 Mar 2014, 15:08 (Ref:3376160)   #3766
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
According to NIKKEI business channel,
The price of the sponsorship fee of DMG MORI is 1 billion yen in three years.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/44609239
Old 7 Mar 2014, 15:13 (Ref:3376161)   #3767
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
So 10 million dollars in 3 year. 3.333333 million per year.

Peanuts.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 15:21 (Ref:3376165)   #3768
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
So 10 million dollars in 3 year. 3.333333 million per year.

Peanuts.

Agree 3,33 million $ is less than 2,5 million € per season, is not so great for a work team. I guess that Total is still the most generous sponsor among work teams
Old 7 Mar 2014, 15:24 (Ref:3376166)   #3769
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way, 1 billion of yen is less than 10 million of $, so nevermind... Maybe is barely enough to pay the salary of drivers.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3376172)   #3770
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The V4 vibrated so bad that the drivers could not stand it!

That was the problem when they started to test(I remember the test drivers not liking it but not saying why).So they changed the firing order(new crank) and that cause the delay in testing for awhile.

Last edited by Christian Mogami; 7 Mar 2014 at 16:27.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3376184)   #3771
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
A flat four - at least theoretically - would've been smoother running by nature. But of course it would've been also wider and maybe not fitting to the chassis.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3376198)   #3772
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The vibrations issues of V4 have been resolved .....
How did they resolve the vibrations issues?
Old 7 Mar 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3376210)   #3773
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Since the engine still revs fairly high (9000 rpm), the boost pressure will probably not be that high.

For reference, the 2013 LMP1 regulations restricted to turbo boost to 2.5 bar (absolute pressure) for 2.0 liter petrol engines and 2.8 bar for 3.7 liter diesel engines.
That is another good issue... its not all about bashing FIA/ACO (for somethings they can be praised) ... max turbo pressure is maxed at 4 bar if IIRC, independent of fuel and or racing class... that is a lot! ( good thing).

So far usually max turbo pressure is regulated by a wastegate(bypass) valve usually set in a static parameter... now it could be electronic regulated and dynamic... meaning engines are not fixed to a max boost pressure and so to a max power, it can vary, it can vary even inside the same circuit on the same race.

That can make all things much more interesting ( an headache for engineers but not to worry they are payed well lol).

Porsche being 4 cylinders but turbo is not to worry , they can still derive lots of power and torque from that engine ( even so i think a V6 would had been much more elastic, better).. F1 4 cylinders turbocharged used to have sometimes over 1000 hp in qualifying and over 500 Nm... of course the higher the boost the stratospheric the fuel consumption is, and this is restricted, nevertheless it can be only in certain parts of a circuit, in overall they can catch up with the fuel flows allowed.. and that is why *ALL* advertise their engines with max figures that can be quite below the real capabilities ( 2014 can be faster).
Old 7 Mar 2014, 17:34 (Ref:3376213)   #3774
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawing View Post
How did they resolve the vibrations issues?
balancing shafts perhaps !? ... no to worry the engine is already small and low weight.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3376220)   #3775
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting interview with Mark Webber.
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/mar...du-pied-droit/