Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Jan 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2112983)   #51
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with having LMP2 as an alternative to LMP1 is that it's never gonna be accessible to the smaller privateers, the money will go there to make LMP2 cars (or LMP lights) capable of winning, like we're seeing now in the ALMS.
But then again, I believe that was why the GT class was re-introduced in 1993, to let rich people play around at Le Mans again (and to fill up the field?)... So I suppose GT2 could be suffucient for the rich folks, and LMP 1 and 2 could be made competitive with each other without any really big concerns over costs...
I believe with the new rules from 2010 hoping to make LMP1 more visually attractive, they'll be allright, technically the rules seem to be OK.

Now for GT1, what i'd prefer to see is something like this: the crash/survival cell of the roadcar must be preserved, with hardpoints like wheel and engine placements also as the roadcar. Other than that, subframes are allowed to be made however they please. Aero rules seem fine as they are, cars are very recognisable but still badass... engines, as far as I know, aren't that closely based on roadcars... I dont know enough of engines to propose any sensible changes...

How to promote it? Make a 1 hour summary of each race (preferably a spectacular one, also showing the strong points of endurance racing) and sell it to national TV channels that you don't have to pay for...
Make sure you get mentioned in car mags, with extensive reviews especially of the more important events, not just in motorsport mags but also in Car Magazine, Car and Driver, Top Gear Magazine and such... perhaps also in other guy's mags such as uhm... well... playboy? :P
Old 25 Jan 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2113045)   #52
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats true you do need to reach out to "lads magazines" such as Nuts, Loaded, etc etc. Also Id call on Audi and Peugeot (and other Manufactures in sports-car racing) to put their Le mans Racing products on there forecourts of there dealerships around the country to bring in punters (not only to the garage but hopefully to sports-car racing as a whole). Also for the Silverstone round why don't the organizers get Car clubs to join and give them a spot around the circuit to meet and show of there cars (like the Ford RS owners club, Or Porsche Club GB etc etc) this brings even more people through the gates. Going back to magazines our community needs to "use" these enthusiasts magazines to our advantage (I.e why not let Performance GTI review the 908 ?) Also advertise the events in these magazines and possibly get the magazine to maybe do a write up about each event/round (only short but enough to keep the casual viewer "up to date"). The Le mans series need to do something along these lines for promotion, because not only will crowds come to the individual rounds, thus making the series a success, hopefully bringing more people to the Le mans 24 hours, then creating what I call the Pinnacle of motor-sport even better, and wider recognized.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 04:26 (Ref:2113123)   #53
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point of the car clubs! Also, indeed giving car mag journalists a demonstration lap has never failed in producing an exciting article about your race series / race cars...
Old 25 Jan 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2113541)   #54
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
indeed giving car mag journalists a demonstration lap has never failed in producing an exciting article about your race series / race cars...
Yup - y'all know where to find me!

I'm steering clear of the marketing/promotion thing as I can't be bothered to write an essay - plus you want me to say how to do it - pay me!

But the classes

LMP1 - as it is now
LMP2 - as it is now
LMP3 - CN (VdeV type)
GT1 - replaced with GT500
(GT1/GT300 merge and can run in smaller races & Super GT)
GT2 - same as now
GT3 - same as now but championship combined between ACO race supports and FIA GT

So Le Mans - because thats what counts. - LMP1, 2, GT500, GT2.

ALMS/JLMS/LMS main series -LMP1, 2, GT500, GT2.

ALMS/JLMS/LMS lites - LMP3, GT3, GT4

FIA GT - GT500, GT2 (and GT3 supports at some races)

National series - same rules and classes as ACO 'Lites'

Super GT - will continue to do what ever the J3 want it to.

Lites series have an annual 'World Championship' with a 2 hour race on the full course at Le Mans. 55 starters and the race runs on the spare weekend.

Introduce LMP4 - a 1000cc amatuer class. with no driver changes or pitstops.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2113542)   #55
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
bloody macs