Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 May 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2455142)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula 1 2009, Round 5- Gran Premio de España Telefónica

Hello again everyone! It's the prophetic Captain Cupcakix here once again to welcome you all to round 5 of the Formula 1 World Championship. Welcome to Europe! After a little over a month travelling, the Formula 1 fraternity finally lands in Europe for the 39th Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix. This is also the 51st year of a Spanish Grand Prix being held.

As has been the norm lately, we will no doubt see a number of revised cars for this race. How many teams will have their own 'double diffuser' on the car? And more importantly, have Brawn got any more improvements up their sleeve? Jenson Button is currently running away with the championship. Already he has an 11 point lead over team mate Rubens Barrichello, so even if his BGP001 does give out on him this weekend (however the team should be feeling confident as they survived the heat in Bahrain), he'll still be leading the championship, something which I'm sure will be in his mind if he gets taken out by a rogue Nelsinho Piquet...

Ah, the Circuit de Catalunya. Seeing as most drivers would know how to find their way around this track going backwards with their eyes shut and their hands tied, we might see a few surprises in practice and qualifying. Perhaps a flying Giancarlo Fisichella to take his Force India to Q2...? Jenson Button proved last round that you don't need to start from Pole Position to win a race this season, but in true Catalunya style, the last time the polesitter didn't win was in 2000, where a slowly deflating tyre caused polesitter Schumacher (who wasn't leading at the time) to pit again. The last time before that was 1996, where Damon Hill spun off in the pouring rain allowing a young bloke named Michael Schumacher to win his first race for Ferrari. So you can almost bet your house that whoever wins pole position, barring technical failure, will win the race this year. I'd bet my house on it, if I wasn't living at home...

Does the past history of this Grand Prix mean anything this year? Ferrari, who have won 7 of the 18 GPs held at Catalunya, are by their own admission eons behind the pace of Brawn and Red Bull. McLaren have a total of four victories at the Catalunya circuit, but it has been four years now since they won here, and their last driver to win here, Kimi Raikkonen, hasn't stood on the top step of the podium for 372 days now.

The contenders? Button, Barrichello, Webber, Vettel, and Glock and Trulli, hanging on at the back of the group. The wildcard? Lewis Hamilton. The flying Finn? Well if last year is anything to go by, that'd be Heikki Kovalainen! Watch to see if he lifts at Turn 9 on his first lap out there...

If Rubens doesn't lift his game this weekend he could well lose 2nd place in the Championship to a charging Sebastien Vettel. I thought I'd never see a day where I'd be saying that a Honda and a Red Bull are the only real contenders in the championship so far...

BMW? Top 10 material at best at the moment. Kubica isn't driving to his full ability and he'll be itching to make up for a poor result in Bahrain, but will his car be up to it?

SPANISH GRAND PRIX - STATISTICS

Formula 1 World Driver's Championship Standings
Pos. Flag Driver ConstructorPoints
1.Jenson ButtonBrawn-Mercedes31
2.Rubens BarrichelloBrawn-Mercedes19
3.Sebastian VettelRBR-Renault18
4.Jarno TrulliToyota14½
5.Timo GlockToyota12
6.Mark WebberRBR-Renault
7.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes9
8.Fernando AlonsoRenault5
9.Nick HeidfeldBMW Sauber4
10.Heikki KovalainenMcLaren-Mercedes4
11.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota
12.Kimi RaikkonenFerrari3
13.Sebastien BuemiSTR-Ferrari3
14.Sebastien BourdaisSTR-Ferrari1

Formula 1 World Constructor's Championship Standings
Pos.FlagConstructorPoints
1.Brawn-Mercedes50
2.RBR-Renault27½
3.Toyota26½
4.McLaren-Mercedes13
5.Renault5
6.BMW Sauber4
7.STR-Ferrari4
8.Williams-Toyota
9.Ferrari3
10.Force India-Mercedes0

Circuit de Catalunya
LengthDirectionTurnsLaps (Distance)Lap Record (Driver, Year)On-Board
4.655km / 2.875miClockwise1666 (307.104km / 190.825mi)1:21.670 (Kimi Raikkonen, 2008)Kimi Raikkonen 2008

2008 Gran Premio de España Telefónica
Pos.Driver Constructor
Pole PositionKimi Raikkonen (1:21.813)Ferrari
1st.Kimi RaikkonenFerrari
2nd.Felipe MassaFerrari
3rd.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes
Fastest LapKimi Raikkonen (1:21.670)Ferrari

Previous Winners
YearDriverConstructor
2007Felipe MassaFerrari
2006Fernando AlonsoRenault
2005Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes
2004Michael SchumacherFerrari
2003Michael SchumacherFerrari
2002Michael SchumacherFerrari
2001Michael SchumacherFerrari
2000Mika HakkinenMcLaren-Mercedes
1999Mika HakkinenMcLaren-Mercedes

External Links
Local Clock and Weather
Circuit Diagram
Event Timetable

Internal Links
Fantasy F1
Predictions Comp
IRC Chat

And finally, the Australian TV schedule:
ChannelDateTimeSession
Sunday, May 102240-0055Race
Saturday, May 92345-0030Qualifying
 Sunday, May 102100-2155Pre-Race
  2155-0010Race

Have a good one guys! Hang around for Burnsie, he'll be lurking around somewhere...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 4 May 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2455165)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Nice job Chatters.

Many of the cars will be coming along with updates to this race so maybe the order will be shaken up slightly.BMW in particular are said to have completely revised their car.Nothing for McLaren though,so don't expect too much from them.Brawn have updates too and STR will have everything that RBR have.

There endeth the update.
Old 4 May 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2455180)   #3
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Nice job Chatters.

BMW in particular are said to have completely revised their car.
Yeah, I revised for my exams but I still flunked them!
Old 4 May 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2455195)   #4
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RBR risk falling back a bit here, as they wont have their diffuser ready until Monaco. They might still have a few other things, maybe new wings and engine covers, who knows. BMW in particular has a big package planned, but theyve fallen back a fair bit as well.
Old 4 May 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2455256)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I hope for rain.

Its been too long since a wet Spanish GP - 1996?
Old 4 May 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2455293)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D View Post
Yeah, I revised for my exams but I still flunked them!
Maybe,like some of the teams,you didn't understand the question correctly.

Brawn are returning to the track where they shocked everyone pre-season.Will they be just as shocking now I wonder ?
Old 4 May 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2455348)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Scorchio!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/42?count=10

http://www.accuweather.com/world-for...ELONA&metric=1

Actually,it does look to be rather on the cool side! ?

Possibility of rain at weekend according to map.
Old 4 May 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2455443)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I think the weather will be sunny and the race will be dull. Apologies for my pessimism, but as they could probably all do a lap of the track with their eyes shut, I can't get very excited about it.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 4 May 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2455505)   #9
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Hang around for Burnsie, he'll be lurking around somewhere...
Sorry for the delay, I was lurking at Brands Hatch watching Ireland become champions of the world

Anyway, back to F1 - hats off once again to Captain Cupcakix for yet another excellent race preview. Here are the programme times for BBC viewers and listeners...

BBC Television Schedule:

DateTime (GMT)Session/ProgrammeChannel
Friday 8th May1845 - 1900Inside F1
Saturday 9th May1210 - 1415Qualifying
Sunday 10th May0355 - 0410Inside F1 (R)
1210 - 1515Race
1900 - 2000Race Highlights
Monday 11th May0245 - 0340Race Highlights (R)

BBC Red Button Schedule:

DateTime (GMT)Session/ProgrammeChannel
Friday 8th May0855 - 1035Free Practice 1
1255 - 1435Free Practice 2
Saturday 9th May1210 - 1415Qualifying
1500 - Sun 1200Qualifying (R) (looped)
Sunday 10th May1210 - 1500Race
1500 - 1600Interactive Forum
1600 - Tue 0900Race Highlights (looped) *
Monday 11th May0900 - 2100Interactive Forum (R) (looped)
* not available on Freeview

BBC Radio Schedule:

DateTime (GMT)Session/ProgrammeStation
Friday 8th May0855 - 1045Free Practice 1
2130 - 2200Grand Prix Preview
Sunday 10th May1300 - 1330Race
BLUE = Radio 5 Live / GREEN = Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

Either the BBC are becoming very sloppy with their programme listings, or there are some notable absences from this weekend's coverage...
  • No radio broadcasts of FP2, FP3 or Qualifying
  • Radio race broadcast is listed on the BBC website as a 30 minute programme??
  • No Red Button coverage of FP3
Old 5 May 2009, 00:05 (Ref:2455521)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Either the BBC are becoming very sloppy with their programme listings, or there are some notable absences from this weekend's coverage...

This is shocking news,but not totally unexpected,they having just relieved me of a not inconsiderable sum so that I can watch TV legally.

Who is Jonathan Ross anyway ?
Old 5 May 2009, 08:47 (Ref:2455676)   #11
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
This is shocking news,but not totally unexpected,they having just relieved me of a not inconsiderable sum so that I can watch TV legally.

Who is Jonathan Ross anyway ?
Son of some Fwozen Food Company owner?

Well done again Chatters and Burnsie.
I can plan my weekend now.

The lady of the house is away to her parents so I can be a total F1 slob.#
Old 5 May 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2455760)   #12
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Circuit de Catalunya race will be interesting this year, for once, because this race has always been a showcase of the real pecking order on the grid - as far as the quality of the cars are concerned.

Super Aguri scoring their first points there of all places a few years back was quite a highlight in the history of the event.
Old 5 May 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2456052)   #13
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BMW won't have their double-deck diffuser ready in time for the Spanish GP, and they won't be using KERS either. Also Force India have decided not to debut their KERS system this weekend.
Old 5 May 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2456103)   #14
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
McLaren have a new front wing and floor for this race.
Personally I cant wait rain or shine
Old 6 May 2009, 00:01 (Ref:2456163)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rain or shine, who knows what Spain will bring to us !
Old 6 May 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2456301)   #16
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari also has a very big update:new difuser,front wing, rear wing and engine cover and the car weighs 15 kilo's less. The updates where already planned for Turkey, but with the disapointing results of the first races they decided to introduce them in Spain.
Old 6 May 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2456454)   #17
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Rain or shine, who knows what Spain will bring to us !
The rain in Spain, stays mainly...
Old 7 May 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2456935)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole View Post
The lady of the house is away to her parents so I can be a total F1 slob.#
This is what I picture:

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 7 May 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2457070)   #19
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
This is what I picture:

You don't know how close RotorFan.
Old 7 May 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2457155)   #20
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
That's me every race! /\

Oh the joys of young, free, and single eh!!

Selby
Old 7 May 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2457167)   #21
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
That's me every race! /\

Oh the joys of young, free, and single eh!!

Selby
...and nowhere to go, except Spain via BBC F1 coverage....the beer is in the fridge.
Old 7 May 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2457227)   #22
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Love it!

Now how ironic is this..:

Since I posted that this morning, I now have arrangements for a lady friend to be over on the Sunday.. so GP maybe suddenly be in jeopardy!

Talk about speaking too soon, huh..

Selby
Old 7 May 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2457244)   #23
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Love it!

Now how ironic is this..:

Since I posted that this morning, I now have arrangements for a lady friend to be over on the Sunday.. so GP maybe suddenly be in jeopardy!

Talk about speaking too soon, huh..

Selby
The lady could always cook while you watch the GP unless she is a F1 fan too.
I think I'm showing my age
Old 7 May 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2457261)   #24
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole View Post

The lady could always cook while you watch the GP unless she is a F1 fan too.
I think I'm showing my age
She's a good cook, apparently (she would say that, right?? ), and she is into fast cars, but it's the whole "I don't know if i'd watch the whole race" deal, which I do understand (I think we've all been there before we properly understood/respected the sport!)

And nah, that's not age mate, that's just a good idea!!

Selby
Old 7 May 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2457351)   #25
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is it my imagination or have Renault got a much better looking nose for this race?

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/127989

It may just be angle and not being able to judge the scale, but it looks different to me...