Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 1 Dec 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3692694)   #76
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed, are their on/off road cousins listening!!!
Old 2 Dec 2016, 19:49 (Ref:3693171)   #77
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news! VW will be homologating its 2017 car anyway and is considering letting privateer teams run them.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...y-championship
Old 2 Dec 2016, 21:46 (Ref:3693198)   #78
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe the organisers had a dickie bird with them
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3693843)   #79
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The i20 testing on tarmac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZt...ature=youtu.be

The car looks rather loose at the rear!
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:40 (Ref:3693854)   #80
GaryMitchell
Rookie

Northern Ireland
Newry
GaryMitchell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without the works VW team it will open the 2017 championship rite up for a number of teams and drivers. Neuville will be in with a great chance, but Meeke will have to be the one to watch if he can keep himself calm and pointing in the right direction.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 19:41 (Ref:3693965)   #81
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I too am looking forward to hopefully a close competition this season. Will be hard to predict the championship
Old 6 Dec 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3694230)   #82
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Latvala confirms seat at Toyota:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...oyota-wrc-seat
Old 6 Dec 2016, 19:40 (Ref:3694278)   #83
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well what a surprise. Finnish driver signs for Toyota Team Finland. As soon as Makinen got the contract, I think we all knew Latvala was going there - even after a poor year. It seems the only requirement to join Toyota is a Finnish passport. Quite a contrast with their WEC team which is international.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3694285)   #84
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
Well what a surprise. Finnish driver signs for Toyota Team Finland. As soon as Makinen got the contract, I think we all knew Latvala was going there - even after a poor year. It seems the only requirement to join Toyota is a Finnish passport. Quite a contrast with their WEC team which is international.
Well Latvala has proved in the past the he is a fast driver. This season didn't go well, true. But it is not like he all of a sudden has become worthless. He is among the better drivers in the WRC and an environment change maybe can do him some good.

Besides, who else should they sign really? I would take a driver that has proven he has a winning capability rather than someone that will never challenge for the victory. That pretty much leaves only Mikkelsen and Lappi for the seat IMO. Even if Lappi is unproven, he is still a big talent.

I can understand your critique when it comes to Hänninen though. Thought he was done for in the WRC and then he gets a factory seat ...
Old 7 Dec 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3694438)   #85
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Well Latvala has proved in the past the he is a fast driver. This season didn't go well, true. But it is not like he all of a sudden has become worthless. He is among the better drivers in the WRC and an environment change maybe can do him some good.
I think Latvala is probably the most disappointing driver in the WRC - when he burst onto the scene he was 'the next big thing' and he's always had so much promise. He's just never delivered consistently enough - the speed is there but he just makes too many mistakes (often rally ending mistakes). This year in particular was poor - he was comfortably beaten by Mikklesen (who I'm not convinced is all that good).
Old 7 Dec 2016, 11:00 (Ref:3694465)   #86
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The weird thing about WRC is that a Verstappen type effect is very rare.

I think the last person who really roused an interest was Neuville in his Ford year, but he has not done much since then.

Then Kubica came in and caused a ruckus. Other than that, who has really come in and done anything interesting?

Camilli has been average, Lefevbre too. Breen has been good, but again not world aligning.

Just seems to be the way WRC is now, teams go safe and proven and never take risks.
Old 7 Dec 2016, 12:46 (Ref:3694489)   #87
S griffin
Veteran

Latvala to Toyota. Be interesting to see where Ogier goes now
Old 7 Dec 2016, 13:48 (Ref:3694512)   #88
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I think the last person who really roused an interest was Neuville in his Ford year, but he has not done much since then.
Neuville has been inconsistent as well - some weekends he's right up there, others he's anonymous.

Quote:
Then Kubica came in and caused a ruckus.
Kubica was a big name but I don't think there was ever any expectation he'd be a world beater. If anything his driving style replicates that of Latvala - fast or crashed.

Quote:
Other than that, who has really come in and done anything interesting?

Camilli has been average, Lefevbre too. Breen has been good, but again not world aligning.

Just seems to be the way WRC is now, teams go safe and proven and never take risks.
Camilli doesn't have much experience, hopefully he'll improve. Lefevbre and Breen also need more time in the car before judging them. Both have impressed at times but they've not really done enough events to get a clearer picture.

Are there any drivers out there you'd put in a top seat that haven't been mentioned so far?
Old 7 Dec 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3694521)   #89
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Rumour seems big Arab money putting a VW team together, if that's the case, season over I expect!

They will pick up the program and if it is development funded they will likely be hard to beat.

Drivers I would look at? I don't know enough about the junior classes in WRC. Breen deserves a full time ride. I don't really rate Lefebvre. I actually though Elfyn did a decent job.

Maybe the young lad in Norway, is it Borjesson or Brynildssen? Not sure of his name, but hardly ground breaking.
Old 10 Dec 2016, 12:36 (Ref:3695129)   #90
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
There has been speculation that Nasser Al-Attiyah will get Qatar and Red Bull backing to enter a privateer Polo. They might attempt to hire Ogier as well.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3695565)   #91
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ogier to M-Sport

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...sport-for-2017
Old 12 Dec 2016, 18:54 (Ref:3695578)   #92
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Excellent news.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 19:08 (Ref:3695581)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

Will be interesting to see him in a less than dominating car
Old 12 Dec 2016, 19:42 (Ref:3695597)   #94
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah with the dissolution of the factory VW team it could level the playing field for a really great season. I hate to see VW gone, but if it makes for a more varied championship it's not all a bad thing.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3695624)   #95
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the Polo's are their in semi-private hands I am ok with it, but the more car variety the better
Old 13 Dec 2016, 09:13 (Ref:3695734)   #96
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
A fortnight ago I was cursing VW for their withdrawal from the WRC. Now I think they might, inadvertently, have given us the most interesting Championship fight in over a decade.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 09:17 (Ref:3695738)   #97
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
AS someone has mentioned on another forum I would imagine VW are paying Seb';s wages for 2017 as his contract as probably already signed.

ANd he is a Red Bull athlete, so he will retain that backing though I am not sure the car will be Red Bull backed.

The Fabia he used was subtly liveried, so that would be nice. But Malc will want to capitalise on signing the number 1 man.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 11:38 (Ref:3695771)   #98
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Video from this morning's Toyota Launch, via Colin Clark. https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrall...0596225436377/

We knew it anyway, but confirmation of Juho Hanninen and Jari-Matti Latvala as the 2 lead drivers on every round, with Esapekka Lappi as 'test driver'.

Also, the final livery and aero design. You can see that the road-going Yaris will also receive another facelift too, judging from the WRC design.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 13:10 (Ref:3695804)   #99
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Video from this morning's Toyota Launch, via Colin Clark. https://www.facebook.com/voiceofrall...0596225436377/

We knew it anyway, but confirmation of Juho Hanninen and Jari-Matti Latvala as the 2 lead drivers on every round, with Esapekka Lappi as 'test driver'.

Also, the final livery and aero design. You can see that the road-going Yaris will also receive another facelift too, judging from the WRC design.
So, Toyota Team Finland then.....
Old 13 Dec 2016, 16:40 (Ref:3695881)   #100
S griffin
Veteran

Be interesting to see how Hanninen and to a lesser extent Lappi go against a multiple race winner in the same car