Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jun 2004, 23:42 (Ref:993335)   #1
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull buy out Jaguar

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=27690&s=5

In Autosport they are saying that Red Bull is linked to a buy out of Jaguar if Ford decide to sell the struggling outfit.
Apparently Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz wants to make an all American F1 Team.

Im just curious how if and Austrian guy buys a team with cars designed in Britain with sponsorship from an Austrian drinks company (Red Bull)...... how is that an All American Team?
Even the Ford engines they may be using are from Cosworth in the UK.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 00:25 (Ref:993362)   #2
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You forgot to include the Australian driver.Oh hang on the same publication says Toyota want Webber over Ralf.

The Grumpy1
P.S. I would take Mark over Ralf anyday
Old 4 Jun 2004, 04:45 (Ref:993475)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
looks like ralf could be heading to the dtm - or is he to good for that
Old 4 Jun 2004, 05:48 (Ref:993495)   #4
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Red Bull have been buying out most teams at some stage over the last few years,when we see it we'll believe it :confused:
Old 4 Jun 2004, 06:16 (Ref:993509)   #5
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Red Bull have been buying out most teams at some stage over the last few years,when we see it we'll believe it :confused:
Agree. At least half of the grid. This is what too much Red Bull does to you, I guess...
Old 4 Jun 2004, 07:18 (Ref:993549)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two positive aspects of the whole thing:
1) A team not depending on Tobacco
2) A team not depending on an car corporation
Old 4 Jun 2004, 07:21 (Ref:993551)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.. Actually it could be a very effective way to sort it out, i mean just imagine what couyld happen if many a multinational group (food, chemical, IT, or other industries) held their own team: wouldn't it be great?

We wouldn't have anymore rich teams like Ferrari/Macs/Fw and poor ones like Minardi/Jordan.
All they would be well funded, able to win some races.

Last edited by climb; 4 Jun 2004 at 07:21.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 08:07 (Ref:993580)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
A Red Bull takeover should also sort out the aero problems Jag have been having - after all, everyone knows that Red Bull gives you wings.

I'll get me coat......
Old 4 Jun 2004, 08:17 (Ref:993590)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull buying out Jaguar wouldn't really be that much of a big deal as they couldn't do any worse a job of running the team than what Ford's been doing.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 08:22 (Ref:993594)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
A Red Bull takeover should also sort out the aero problems Jag have been having - after all, everyone knows that Red Bull gives you wings.

I'll get me coat......
Very funny indeed
Old 4 Jun 2004, 08:23 (Ref:993596)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
Red Bull buying out Jaguar wouldn't really be that much of a big deal as they couldn't do any worse a job of running the team than what Ford's been doing.
Thus it could be a good deal, on the contrary, because it is bound to improve the team's situation, isn't it
Old 4 Jun 2004, 08:34 (Ref:993605)   #12
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Red Bull buy out Jaguar

Quote:
Originally posted by manwell
In Autosport they are saying that Red Bull is linked to a buy out of Jaguar if Ford decide to sell the struggling outfit.
That's it. IF.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 10:56 (Ref:993724)   #13
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
You forgot to include the Australian driver.Oh hang on the same publication says Toyota want Webber over Ralf.

The Grumpy1
P.S. I would take Mark over Ralf anyday
Who wouldn't?
Old 4 Jun 2004, 10:58 (Ref:993725)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find the shocking aspect the fact the Cosworth is potentially part of the deal as well.

The whole story is a sordid disaster. Ford's initial return to the sport with Stewart was a well planned careful partnership with a cohesive team with a strong identity, a focus on racing, a tradtion of running winning teams (PSR) and a figurehead who commanded respect due to his wisdom, experience and intelligence.

Once the transfer to Jaguar took place, it all went terribley pear-shaped. Glitz, baddly spent budgets and a rotating manager's chair have left the team worse off than it was 5 season's ago. I cannot blame Ford for bailing out, but to give up Cossie as well.....

There is a tremendous amount of history there, and a potentially a lucretive consulting business, why Ford would consider selling Cosworth I cannot divine.

I am vaguely optimistic that Mateschitz wants to bring American drivers to the pinnacle of the sport, but for Americans to be competing under the Ford banner would mean so much more than to have them supported by an overepriced Austrian caffienated and carbonated cough-syrup.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 11:00 (Ref:993727)   #15
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Two positive aspects of the whole thing:
1) A team not depending on Tobacco
2) A team not depending on an car corporation
Absolutely. What i found interesting about the article i read on F1racing.net was they said Ford didn't want to pull out completely just didn't want to have to put down the "fantasy dollars" that every other team does. If Red Bull were to buy out Jaguar, grab a some nice paying sponsors (like Milwaukee's best....hey they said all American right?), with Ford to build them engines...Ala kind of how BMW came back....it could work pretty good. But on a serious note, there are some great companies w/ tons of money here in america that aren't doing anything w/ it. Someone should go knock on Bill Gates door for a couple mil....he'd probably have it in his wallet.

Last edited by dcp2685; 4 Jun 2004 at 11:05.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 11:57 (Ref:993778)   #16
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Red Bull more harmful than any tobacco though?

The whole concept of an All-American Red Bull team is pure marketing, and I doubt anyone would fall for it.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 11:58 (Ref:993779)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey I said this in the earlier red Bull thread. Autosport nicked that off me!

Actually, their editor is a ten-tenths member!
Old 4 Jun 2004, 12:04 (Ref:993784)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Hey I said this in the earlier red Bull thread. Autosport nicked that off me!

Actually, their editor is a ten-tenths member!
It could explain a lot of their stories
Old 4 Jun 2004, 12:08 (Ref:993786)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm firmly of the opinion that sponsors shold be sponsors, team owners should be team owners and manufacturers should be arm's length partners. That's the way it should be.

Ferrari aside, the most consistent teams of the last 20 years are William's and McLaren, who despite whatever sponsors or engine partners they have used, have remained as team owners. Even when McLaren did become part owned by Mercedes, it was not a majority stake.

Once these edges become blurred, trouble and instability follow IMO. Quite why Red Bull would want the aggro of owning a team who knows, I'm sure Ford will happily take their money for title sponsorship, if the Ford bean counters aren't interested in funding the team themselves, which looks a much better basis for a 'relationship' to me.

Quite why Ford would want to include Cosworth is a mystery, as surely it's one of the few elements of a motorsport business that makes money.

With customer engines likely to come to the fore even more in the 'new F1', surely Cosworth are well placed to service that market, aside from their other motorsport commitments.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 4 Jun 2004 at 12:09.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 12:17 (Ref:993800)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
It could explain a lot of their stories
Knocking me down there...cheers Adam.

You'd should be in the press too!
Old 4 Jun 2004, 12:23 (Ref:993815)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Once these edges become blurred, trouble and instability follow IMO.
I think this is the problem with Jaguar Racing. In an odd way I get the impression that Jaguar itself are actually more like the sponsors as opposed to the team! The engine people are neither at arms length or the completely the same company.

Right from the start it was more, I bet the the leaping Jaguar will look good on an engine cover. Perhaps they kidded themselves it'd be more. Well it might as well be a red bull on the side if this is the attitude.

Well that is just the impression I get. So I'll add IMHO.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 12:27 (Ref:993818)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
I'm firmly of the opinion that sponsors shold be sponsors, team owners should be team owners and manufacturers should be arm's length partners. That's the way it should be.
In a perfect world, ST, in a perfect world...

(I want mine blonde, green eyes, 5'3,99lbs, 31-27-35)
Old 4 Jun 2004, 14:11 (Ref:993913)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram

The whole concept of an All-American Red Bull team is pure marketing, and I doubt anyone would fall for it.
Both assumptions are hard to dispute
Old 4 Jun 2004, 20:56 (Ref:994235)   #24
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram

red bull worse than tobacco? can't remember the last time i heard of someone dying from red bull...
Old 4 Jun 2004, 21:04 (Ref:994237)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I have heard of someone dying of red bull! Although i wasn't the sole reason. Despite this it is all a little off topic. One for parc ferme? (present garcon!)