Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Aug 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1988649)   #126
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
At the moment I am reading Peter Morgan's book about the Porsche 956/962 (great book!). In 1981 several manufacturers had designed cars for the new Group C class but the full technical details of this new class were not published before the latter part of the year. So these manufacturers took a risk because the rules were not confirmed. To comply the rules Lola had to redesign the T600 which became the T610. If I am correct the T600 turned up in IMSA. Like Lola also BMW had designed a Group C car but after FISA had published the rules they withdrew completeley.

Did BMW really design/build/test a car or existed it only on paper?
Old 14 Aug 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1988769)   #127
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
To comply the rules Lola had to redesign the T600 which became the T610. If I am correct the T600 turned up in IMSA. Like Lola also BMW had designed a Group C car but after FISA had published the rules they withdrew completeley.

Did BMW really design/build/test a car or existed it only on paper?
I remember the Lola - it had several guises including an evolutionary Mazda rotary version in GTP at one point and Cossie engines in Europe?

The BMW pointis interesting - did this end up as the GTP version that ran only for a year or two (March based?) in 1986/7. looked highly promising and then got canned, or was that an entirely separate project?
Old 14 Aug 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1988993)   #128
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BMW thing could be the March-built M1C, raced in IMSA in 1981, with M1 straight6 and then Turbo4 engines...
Old 14 Aug 2007, 19:13 (Ref:1989047)   #129
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fausto
The BMW thing could be the March-built M1C, raced in IMSA in 1981, with M1 straight6 and then Turbo4 engines...
Quote:
The March design team produced a prototype BMW-powered car called the M1C. David Hobbs and Marc Surer raced this in the IMSA series of 1981. Basically underpowered against the Porsche 935s, the MIC nevertheless earned two pole positions and three top six finishes.

Source: http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages...ticles_13.html

I get the impression the only BMW part is the engine. Why would a German company hire a British company to design a car?
Old 14 Aug 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1989067)   #130
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I did some searching on the web and I think the BMW M1C/1 is the BMW Group C project which was stopped in '81

At www.marchives.com (great website) I found this "March 1981 Newsletter #3"

So the car was designed by BMW in conjuction with March and I understand the BMW M1C/1 (= March 81P) was allowed in IMSA GTP but not in Group C, so March planned a M1C/2 (= March 82G) which is a full Group C car. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2520042)   #131
fausto
Veteran

Wales
...finally, some GKW pics I took @ Monza, back in 1988

http://twitpic.com/dlekh
http://twitpic.com/dlelb
http://twitpic.com/dlenb

the car is now the property of an Italian gentleman driver who plans to race it in historic events, can be seen @ http://www.time-to-lose.it/wp-conten...raio_60dpi.pdf page 16
Old 12 Aug 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2520060)   #132
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Another for the list is the Lindsay LMP675 - Think a mock-up appeared at an early Goodwood Festival of Speed

The reference to an MG project I'm guessing refers to a GT version of the MG SV that never appeared.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2520275)   #133
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Many thanks, fausto! Those pics are like gold dust.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2521936)   #134
betablocker
Rookie

England
London
betablocker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i saw a alfa group c with a v12 engine, which ive never seen before in the paddock in monza the other month at the grp c event there but it wasnt with the group c cars. it looked like a latter grp c car narrow bubble canopy posssibly twin rear wing it was a runner as well.

on unraced cars, how about a mclaren mercedes SLR made into a race car for mclaren before the production car even made it to production produced at activa before it went bust, but i seem to recall mclaren never collected it??

and also the new ascari the replacement to the lmp 1 car, got to the drawing board and i believe a model made before klaus started to slow the racecar project down...........
Old 17 Aug 2009, 06:50 (Ref:2522770)   #135
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by betablocker View Post

on unraced cars, how about a mclaren mercedes SLR made into a race car for mclaren before the production car even made it to production produced at activa before it went bust, but i seem to recall mclaren never collected it??
Intrigued about this, is there any info out there about this car and what happened to it?
Old 18 Aug 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2523846)   #136
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by betablocker View Post
i saw a alfa group c with a v12 engine, which ive never seen before in the paddock in monza the other month at the grp c event there but it wasnt with the group c cars. it looked like a latter grp c car narrow bubble canopy posssibly twin rear wing it was a runner as well.

and also the new ascari the replacement to the lmp 1 car, got to the drawing board and i believe a model made before klaus started to slow the racecar project down...........
Someone said Alfa Romeo?

Have a nice day
Old 18 Aug 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2523914)   #137
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoavia View Post
A friend of mine knew Costas Los and around 1983 he was involved with a Lyncar C2 car. It was displayed inside the circuit near Copse painted yellow for the 83 or 84 1000 Kms as it wasn't ready to run. I think it did one or two Thundersports races but does anyone know if it ever ran in a World Sportscar Championship race.

The Lyncar arrived on the scene around the same time as the equally ugly Ceekar, mid to end of 1983.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2523986)   #138
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
Someone said Alfa Romeo?

Have a nice day
Explain further!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2523995)   #139
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Ooh, I think I need a cold shower.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2524008)   #140
fausto
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
The Lyncar arrived on the scene around the same time as the equally ugly Ceekar, mid to end of 1983.
Introduced to the press late 1983 (Brands Hatch European C'ship round), debuted early 1984 (IIRC the Lyncar in a club race).
Old 19 Aug 2009, 00:30 (Ref:2524069)   #141
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Alfa is called either the Alfa Romeo Group C or the SE048 - more in this thread.

Does anyone know who currently owns it?
Old 19 Aug 2009, 04:36 (Ref:2524129)   #142
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
That Alfa is called either the Alfa Romeo Group C or the SE048 - more in this thread.

Does anyone know who currently owns it?
The Alfa is gorgeous! I just got back from the Montery Historics, and the Group C race was the highlight of the weekend, though there were far too many 962/956s. A Mazda RX792p was the only car in that thread that I saw, though it was driven by Patrick Dempsey

Reading through the thread linked above, it obvious where Audi stole the idea from the R15's nose from! http://tentenths.com/forum/attachmen...2&d=1235928360
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2524233)   #143
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
What a pretty thing that is. V12 too. Shame I never saw it.

I'm off for a lie down now. Rub down with a dampened copy of MN...
Old 19 Aug 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2524363)   #144
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Was it the same Motori Moderni seen smoking away in the first F1 Minardi?
Yes it did run in a M188 hack in 1989 first, but Minardi rejected it so Enzo Coloni ran it the next year in one of his C3's, having 'sold' his team to them. When it tanked he bought it back for song.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2524394)   #145
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
The Alfa is gorgeous! I just got back from the Montery Historics, and the Group C race was the highlight of the weekend, though there were far too many 962/956s. A Mazda RX792p was the only car in that thread that I saw, though it was driven by Patrick Dempsey

Reading through the thread linked above, it obvious where Audi stole the idea from the R15's nose from! http://tentenths.com/forum/attachmen...2&d=1235928360
Wow, that would have been great to see all those old GTP cars at Monterey. That Mazda was something.

That pic of the old Pug is kinda funny. Inspiration can come from anywhere I guess!
Old 20 Aug 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2524723)   #146
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Alfa Group C car is a bit perplexing. It is apparently in Alfa Romeo's museum and there's a sign next to it (unfortunately I cannot attach the image I don't think) that indicated it has a 3.5L V10 - Alfa's own engine. The sign dates the car as coming from 1986.

An engine is also featured in the museum outside the car. Contrast this with the photos of the car where you can see easily that it's a V12 and what do you get? A bit of a puzzle I think. Did Alfa change the engine that was in the car at some point? Does anyone know more about this somewhat mysterious machine?
Old 20 Aug 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2524730)   #147
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimo View Post
The Alfa Group C car is a bit perplexing. It is apparently in Alfa Romeo's museum and there's a sign next to it (unfortunately I cannot attach the image I don't think) that indicated it has a 3.5L V10 - Alfa's own engine. The sign dates the car as coming from 1986.

An engine is also featured in the museum outside the car. Contrast this with the photos of the car where you can see easily that it's a V12 and what do you get? A bit of a puzzle I think. Did Alfa change the engine that was in the car at some point? Does anyone know more about this somewhat mysterious machine?
it had a 3.5 litre V12, rumour was it was a hack of the Ferrari 3.5 litre F1 lump and that it was designed/penned by Dallara and it was meant to debut in 92 i think but of course Sports Car Racing was teetering on the edge of oblivion at that point and it was axed, a massive shame, its such a beautiful car, and i imagine on open side pipe's, that V12 must of been savagely blood curdlingly loud.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2524737)   #148
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice View Post
it had a 3.5 litre V12, rumour was it was a hack of the Ferrari 3.5 litre F1 lump and that it was designed/penned by Dallara and it was meant to debut in 92 i think but of course Sports Car Racing was teetering on the edge of oblivion at that point and it was axed, a massive shame, its such a beautiful car, and i imagine on open side pipe's, that V12 must of been savagely blood curdlingly loud.
Hopefully I can crack this nut in the near future...I'm in contact with the car's designer and he seems willing to answer my questions or research what he can't recall. But we're on a 3 month delay as he won't have any time until November to read through my questionnaire or have a look through his files...so...cross your fingers!
Old 20 Aug 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2524827)   #149
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fingers crossed !
Old 20 Aug 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2524850)   #150
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Ooh, ooh, ooh! Good luck, Mike.