Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 27 Mar 2024, 17:28 (Ref:4203028)   #51
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey, Only 'Challenging', slightly off topic, but it occurred to me that the modern attitude, towards taking responsibility for your own actions, ie don't, was illustrated by the penalty incurred by Alonso at the last Arab Grand Prix.
Fernando, knowing the young Russell would attempt to pass him into the corner, used a little guile to wrong foot the Mercedes driver, by, it seems, braking a trifle earlier than previous laps, and then accelerating again. George, not too bright, misjudged his speed, and crashed, even though Alonso was not involved in any form of contact. The accident was not Russell's fault, it was all on the Aston driver, because as Fernando said in his defence, such tricks were all part of a drivers art, which they always have been. In today's world that is a crime. Russell was a victim of his own lack of attention (no observation), failed to detect Alonso reduction in speed, (no anticipation) and was to slow to avoid a meeting with the barriers, (no acceleration, as defined by Bauble's motto).

What a namby pamby bunch these kids are today.
Old 27 Mar 2024, 20:00 (Ref:4203044)   #52
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good to see you're missing the F1 part of the forum, Boobool. No worry, you're even with folks there, they don't miss you either!
Old 27 Mar 2024, 20:13 (Ref:4203049)   #53
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Hey, Only 'Challenging', slightly off topic,..........

What a namby pamby bunch these kids are today.
Hi Mr Bumble, assuming this latest misnomer was aimed in my direction, I'm afraid I pay llttle attention to F1 these days, F2 is better racing in my opinion along with any club FFord and any classic/historic; posssibly my all time favourite is the 2 litre 70's sportscars with such a variety of great machinery.
Keep well, all the best Sometimes Competing
Old 27 Mar 2024, 23:50 (Ref:4203068)   #54
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Simply Sprinting. yeah, Eff Wun holds little interest for me, but I saw about the shunt in the paper, and wondered why Alonso was to blame. The incident just seemed to chime with my diatribe on responsibility for one's own actions.
I'm afraid I have absolutely zero knowledge of F2, it holds no interest for me, in fact unless it harks back to my youth in the 50's, not much else does.

Uncle Bob.

NB. I take full responsibility for the text above.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 04:49 (Ref:4203081)   #55
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If only Alonso had checked his daytime driving lights were up to code none of this would have happened......
Old 28 Mar 2024, 08:08 (Ref:4203101)   #56
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
If only Alonso had checked his daytime driving lights were up to code none of this would have happened......
Old 28 Mar 2024, 10:28 (Ref:4203122)   #57
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
AGREED.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 10:40 (Ref:4203126)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems we've exhausted the discussion so I'll move it to the road car forum.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 15:26 (Ref:4203168)   #59
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Seems we've exhausted the discussion so I'll move it to the road car forum.
I was thinking that EB's post had put it all to bed quite nicely.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 23:31 (Ref:4203219)   #60
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That may not be as it seems. If you were behind our car (Mercedes Auto) and I came to a stop, an extended press of the brake pedal puts the car into 'hold' - engaging the brakes which also results in the brake lights being illuminated. I can take my foot off the brake, and the car still holds stationary and appears (from behind) as if I am on the footbrake.
The same on Kias that have the "Autohold" function activated.

Brake to a complete stop and leave foot on the brake pedal for a short while and the brake lights stay on.
Old 28 Mar 2024, 23:38 (Ref:4203220)   #61
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One very good reason, these days, for not moving out of an"overtaking lane" on a motorway is to avoid having an accident caused by a giant pothole, often found on lanes usually occupied by commercial vehicles and other heavy things - like 4x4s and Teslas.

The accident may not be immediate but might be the later result of damage caused previously.

As for using Hard Shoulders to gain advantage - a dumb move in those few places where hard shoulders still exist and especially since these days there will likely be a camera recording every move (if the cameras are working).
Old 28 Mar 2024, 23:51 (Ref:4203222)   #62
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

"Understand that, whenever signs show your lane closed ahead, and others in your lane get over early when they have an opportunity to do so without causing hindrance or cutting up other drivers, they are doing so specifically to leave the lane clear so that you can carry on oblivious, at speed, right up to the start of the cones, at which point you can simply barge your way in, without any signal, cutting up all and sundry, and taking out a few cones in the process."

I think this is a lack of understanding of the "merge in turn" concept, sometimes compounded by the way that the cones have been planned and deployed or, on occasion, some extremely dodgy use of messages (or lack of messages) on overhead gantries.

Or, in the case of the Southbound exit (anticlockwise) to the M3 from the M25, the ridiculous design that results in 2 lanes leaving the M25 resulting in a queue to head south with vehicles using the left lane (for M3 North) to jump the queue and cut in just before the point where the South lane becomes 2 lanes anyway. A really stupid design that, I suspect, has become worse as a result of further "safety" changes well after it was first built.