Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 17 Jan 2004, 04:51 (Ref:841214)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Historical F1 questions?

Hi folks i have a few questions about F1 that im trying to fit into the ten tenths history project.

the first is about the brabham fan car, Is there a website where i can get detailed information about this car ?

for example im after the one and only race that it entered , that shouldnt be to hard to find , but also the following meetings by the FIA and the announcement that it was to be banned, im after exact dates of these cases so i can add them to the project.

my other two questions are regarding the Tyrrell team.

I need info (and again exact dates) of their famous 6 wheeler car , when it first raced and when it last raced and stuff like that.

the other question is about the common trend these days to go the anhedral (spelling ?) front wing.

im under the impression that Tyrrell were the first team to do this and I know they debuted it at the 1990 San Marino Grand prix , which is not at all hard to find , but just to make sure I have my information correct , where they the first team to develop this front wing or did someone else try it at an earlier date ???

so if anyone can help me out by providing me with information or websites about these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

CHEERS
marcus
Old 17 Jan 2004, 10:21 (Ref:841402)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Historical F1 questions?

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
the first is about the brabham fan car, Is there a website where i can get detailed information about this car ?

for example im after the one and only race that it entered , that shouldnt be to hard to find , but also the following meetings by the FIA and the announcement that it was to be banned, im after exact dates of these cases so i can add them to the project.
1978 the Swedish Grand Prix at Anderstorp. Around June time but you can put that into a search engine. However if I recall correctly it wasn't banned. Bernie withdrew it on safety grounds because it had the effect of sucking up gravel and throwing it a following cars. It won its only race because it had grip whilst the Lotus of Andretti suffered due to all the oil laid down during the race. This would not normally have presented a signifacant problem.

Obviously I stand to be corrected on the above and I'm doing this from memory.

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
my other two questions are regarding the Tyrrell team.

I need info (and again exact dates) of their famous 6 wheeler car , when it first raced and when it last raced and stuff like that.

the other question is about the common trend these days to go the anhedral (spelling ?) front wing.

im under the impression that Tyrrell were the first team to do this and I know they debuted it at the 1990 San Marino Grand prix , which is not at all hard to find , but just to make sure I have my information correct , where they the first team to develop this front wing or did someone else try it at an earlier date ???

so if anyone can help me out by providing me with information or websites about these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

CHEERS
marcus
The Six wheeler first appeared in 1975, possibly in south Africa(?) It ran through 1976 with Ronnie Petersen pedalling it for one.

The Anhedral wing was developed by Dr Harvey Postelthwaite.

Just guesses so I look forward to being proved wrong.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 10:23 (Ref:841405)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Answer to the first question.

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr305.html
Old 17 Jan 2004, 10:30 (Ref:841407)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The Anhedral wing

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rvreekum/ty07b.html

And the P34. It was 1976 not ’75.

http://www.egan37.fsnet.co.uk/tyrrellp6.htm

As you can see from the link it missed the first two races and debuted at the Swedish GP that year. Coincidence or what?
Old 17 Jan 2004, 12:04 (Ref:841474)   #5
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Kojima_KE007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

As you can see from the link it missed the first two races and debuted at the Swedish GP that year. Coincidence or what?
I think the P34 was debuted at Jarama in Spain driven by Patrick Depailler in 1976.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 12:41 (Ref:841502)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thanks for the links guys , I will go through them in the next few days and see what I can find.

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 17 Jan 2004, 13:22 (Ref:841531)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.project34.co.uk

Last edited by Mackmot; 17 Jan 2004 at 13:31.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 22:46 (Ref:841915)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The latest question time for Nigel Roebuck on Autosport.com has some interesting comments regarding the P34. Autosports poll list of radical looking cars misses completely cars like the 1968 Cosworth 4WD car so it's a pretty selective representation
Old 18 Jan 2004, 01:17 (Ref:842009)   #9
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that they also ran the fan car in a couple of non-championship races in 1979. The Imola GP comes to mind.

I am posting from memory and haven't checked.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 08:54 (Ref:842140)   #10
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fan car ran in the Gunnar Nilsson Trophy at Donington in 1979, but not at Imola. It was classified 4th, driven by Nelson Piquet.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 07:49 (Ref:843618)   #11
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie withdrew it on safety grounds? Really? I thought it was cos it was banned
Sounds like a little Bernie Stalinist re-writing of history there
Old 20 Jan 2004, 08:00 (Ref:843625)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Paul.

It was protested before the race but was allowed to practice and start.

It was banned by the CSI later but that was after it had been withdrawn by the team. The reasons given for the withdrawal were safety.

It was of course banned because of moveable aerodynamic devices.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 09:02 (Ref:843679)   #13
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember that weekend ...the race itself was held on the Saturday and as a result was transmitted live on ITV's World of Sport. Always remember that an interview with Mario Andretti (I think) was delayed and delayed and just as they cut to start the interview they lost the satellite feed
Moveable aereodynamic advice? surely not it was just keeping the engine cool

Last edited by PaulSands; 20 Jan 2004 at 09:03.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:14 (Ref:843999)   #14
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Kojima_KE007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what Gordn Murray said in an interview about the fan car.

"The other constructors put a lot of pressure on Bernie (Ecclestone) not to race the car and the car was never banned according to the rules. We could have raced it, if it hadn't been for the constructors' problems. We could have raced the fan car for rest of that year."

By the way, the last race for the Tyrrell P34 was the 1977 Japanese Grand Prix.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 14:18 (Ref:844087)   #15
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For loads of info and anecodotes about the Tyrrell 6-wheeler, go to www.autosport.com and click on Ask Nigel. This is Nigel Roebuck's weekly Q&A and I think it was last week's in which he talked loads about the car, with loads of quotes and facts from the car's designer. Very informative.