Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 25 Feb 2004, 21:54 (Ref:885600)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TG On Road Courses In USA Today

An interesting artcle in the USA Today:

Tony George said that the IRL still has no set date for road courses, but that Mid-Ohio, and Detroit were under consideration for 05.

The list also included Toronto, and Mexico City and a possible race near New York City, that would likely work hand-in-hand with NASCAR at a permanent facility.

He also indicated that it was important to have 2-4 venues to make the investment in raod course equipment worthwhile for the teams.

So what road courses would you like to see the IRL race at, or would you prefer to keep it all oval?

I personally don't like the idea of Mexico or Canada for a couple of reasons. Those races would draw sponsors, that would insist on having a driver from their country represent them, therefore further dimming the prospects of young American drivers, which would slowly kill the series, ala CART. Secondly, I see no reason to compete with CART's strengths in those countries. Both those countries are firmly in CART's camp.

I love the idea of coming to NYC, for one obvious reason, I live here! The facility they have in mind(NASCAR)is a superspeedway though, and one possible site is 10 minutes from my house! This is a huge market that is waiting to be tapped. I think it would be very successful.

But here are my 4 road course choices:
1 Mid Ohio
2 Laguna Seca
3 Watkins Glen-needs work though
4 Road Atlanta

Your thoughts?
Old 25 Feb 2004, 23:49 (Ref:885711)   #2
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That New York site they mentioned isn't Watkins Glen is it?
Would they race the long circuit? If not I'd make them

I'd like Belle Isle Park but thats not gonna happen

Right,
Mid Ohio
Laguna
Portland
Road Atlanta - yes that'd be interesting!
Old 26 Feb 2004, 01:15 (Ref:885752)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well IRL would have to work with ISC and NASCAR so Watkin glen is likely,and Mid Ohio
Laguna isn't going to happen not soon, as it is MAZDA RACEWAY now- who is owned in part by Ford...
Bele Isle would be nice, but they said detroit, maybe a detroit street course? or maybe Sonoma
Old 26 Feb 2004, 01:40 (Ref:885762)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The site thats being talked about for New York City, is really a NASCAR super-speedway thats being planned, not a road course, and I guess the IRL would use it to.

Its not Watkins Glen, because thats about 4 hours from the city. Although if they went road racing, I think Watkins Glen would be on ticket because of the ISC tie-in, like gt mentioned.

I didn't get the Detroit thing either. Isn't that just a street course?

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Feb 2004, 10:50 (Ref:886071)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I didn't get the Detroit thing either. Isn't that just a street course?

Don't you remember the Belle Isle track in Detroit Champ Cars used to race at up until 2001?

I personally think that is/was a rather decent track. Not a great one, but certainly a lot better than quite a few other street circuits.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 14:10 (Ref:886302)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There were ZERO opportunities to pass at Belle Isle....hope they NEVER go there...

My Picks as "likely":

Watkins Glen for the reasons stated above...

Mid-Ohio due to the Midwest base of support for this sport....

Road America - the other series has treated it like an unwanted stepchild for a number of years...the IRL would have more at stake to make things work for both parties....

Road Atlanta...the Panoz/G-Force ties will make this one happen...

But I would like to see Sears Point or Laguna...I just don't see them being in the cards....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 26 Feb 2004, 14:14 (Ref:886305)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh...and a Dark Horse...

The Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland...

OWRS can't really afford to be a "self-promoter" at this early stage of its existence...the IRL has the pocketbook to do so...
OWRS will probably spend the cash to run at Cleveland this year, and maybe next year, but if the cost continues to be too high, and they can't find a promoter who has the capital to do this event, it will be "fair game" for the IRL to move in there in 2006 or 2007...maybe sooner...

A great venue with a lot of action....and the IRL even looked at Cleveland as a possible opportunity to run a "flat oval" race at this venue a couple of years ago...

Thain about that one for a minute...

Old 26 Feb 2004, 14:34 (Ref:886323)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Oh...and a Dark Horse...

The Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland...

OWRS can't really afford to be a "self-promoter" at this early stage of its existence...the IRL has the pocketbook to do so...
OWRS will probably spend the cash to run at Cleveland this year, and maybe next year, but if the cost continues to be too high, and they can't find a promoter who has the capital to do this event, it will be "fair game" for the IRL to move in there in 2006 or 2007...maybe sooner...

A great venue with a lot of action....and the IRL even looked at Cleveland as a possible opportunity to run a "flat oval" race at this venue a couple of years ago...

Thain about that one for a minute...
Your right Tim, Burke Lakefront Airport is a great venue. Its probably the best race on the CART calender. Lots of room to pass and maneuver, and if the IRL really wanted to impress the public with what their cars can do, this would be the place.

Are we sure that its on the OWRS calender this year though? :confused:
Old 26 Feb 2004, 15:30 (Ref:886368)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If just one of either Watkins Glen, Road America, Road Atlanta or Cleveland would make it to the 2005 IndyCar schedule, it would be great.

And in case they add Watkins Glen they should run it with the Boot - I have a Festival of Historic racing (including somewhat dated but powerful open-wheel machinery) at Watkins Glen on tape where they use the full course, and I just fell in love with it when I saw it for the first time.

Why NASCAR doesn't use the full track is beyond me - it rules
Old 26 Feb 2004, 16:53 (Ref:886448)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
From what I understand though, Watkins Glen will need some work if open wheel cars are to race there again. I believe there aren't sufficient run-off areas at the turns, but I'm not sure where I remember hearing that.

How about Barber Motorsports Park, in Alabama, I believe. I saw a Grand Am race there, and it looked beautiful. Its all brand new too. Can open wheel cars race there?

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Feb 2004, 16:57 (Ref:886453)   #11
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watkins Glen gets mentioned every once in a while in either the Champ Car Or Indy Car forum. From what people have said, it's not safe for modern open-wheel cars and can't be upgraded to make it so.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 17:26 (Ref:886472)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
watkins is a 'historic' sight so it can not be modified further. this seems more of ISC placing than anything else, as if a motorracing venue can't be updated and still retain history? IMS ahem, Road America, the milwaukee mile, road atlanta...Spa, Hockenhiem, Lemans...someone is keeping Openwheel out of the Glen for now more than anything else..
Old 26 Feb 2004, 17:45 (Ref:886489)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Forgot about the Watkins Glen issues...and I should know better...I'm a hard-core sportscar endurance guy....

Barber Park would be superb, but I don't know how difficult it would be to generate a crowd there....

At least when you look at traditional Champ Car venues like Mid-Ohio, Cleveland, or Road America, there is a built-in fan base for this type of racing, and gives you something to access....

Champ Cars have never really done very well when they have run at the Atlanta Superspeedway, but Road Atlanta is a good circuit, and the Panoz ties via their involvement as a chassis supplier at least makes some sense...an added plus is that there are a lot of "Carpetbaggers" (they stil call them that in parts of the South that are growing) from the North and Midwest that have moved to Atlanta....there is some potential there..

To GTTouring:

I don't really know if Cleveland is a go or not for OWRS...but they hold the contract for it, don't they???

I know that there are issues like a promoter that have been problems in the past, and I don't know if OWRS has either found someone to bear that burden, share that burden, or if they plan to promote it themselves...

But at some point, Cleveland makes a lot of sense for the IRL....which might complicate Mid-Ohio....unless they can spread them far enough apart on the schedule....the venues are only a few hours away from each other....

The reality twist...Detroit is obviously high on the list because of GM's long-time involvement...but I'm just not big on Belle Isle or a street race....

Old 1 Mar 2004, 17:52 (Ref:890380)   #14
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Burke Lakefront Airport a potential track for the IRL a few years back. CART was in its last year of its contract for the race, and was about to lose it, so the IRL was going to swoop in and have an oval race there.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 17:58 (Ref:890386)   #15
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Burke Lakefront Airport a potential track for the IRL a few years back. CART was in its last year of its contract for the race, and was about to lose it, so the IRL was going to swoop in and have an oval race there. It was supposedly going to look a bit like Indy. Go to www.racingcircuits.net click on Discussion Forums, Go to North America, United States, Burke Lakefront Airport. There is a pic of what someone thought the circuit would have looked like.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 18:23 (Ref:890423)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keep it all oval.

That maintains a point of difference for the series.

Likewise hopefully Champ Car will go all road/street.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 19:07 (Ref:890492)   #17
pshoe001
Rookie

pshoe001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1: IMS road course (obviously)
2: Mid-Ohio
3: Road America
4: Detroit/Cleveland/Toronto

All relatively close to Indy.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 20:51 (Ref:890609)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by pshoe001

All relatively close to Indy.
That could be the problem with that schedule, all of them are to close together, unless of course you live near them!

The North East is starving for some road races. Lime Rock Park is pretty much it. Can they do open-wheel cars there?
Old 2 Mar 2004, 09:04 (Ref:891002)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Lime Rock would be great. Perhaps a bit too narrow though? I've only seen some Speed GT races from that track, and I really liked the layout, elevation changes and so on.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 01:46 (Ref:891976)   #20
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their were talks of Nascar adding mexico city to their schedule, maybe that's what the joint venture means.

Last edited by Tenoch; 3 Mar 2004 at 01:46.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 20:27 (Ref:893883)   #21
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most realistic 4 are these:

1. Infineon Raceway/Sears Point
2. Mid-Ohio
3. Road America
4. Laguna Seca
5. Road Atlanta

Mid-Ohio may have a political leg up on Road America and both are competing to be the Mid-West road course race. Mid-Ohio is closer to more cities, but Road America is a superior circuit. A tough call.

Sears Point revamped turn one, with new sand trap and other omprovements for OW. The shorter NASCAR circuit is probably easier for the IRL cars to adapt to. Like Laguna Seca they have excellent pit facilities. Laguna Seca has more prestige, but is farther from the urban markets of San Francisco and Scaramento. They also lack the NASCAR mailing list or promotional power of SMI. Another tough call.

Road Atlanta has much going for it. It is a top 5 US market, and would bring IRL to the deep south without competing with NASCAR. Some issue with the last turn, but a mild revision and some soft walls could fix that pretty cheaply. I think this is a win-win scenario.

Portland has been mentioned, but I have trouble seeing this one. The market is not top 20. My guess is IRL is looking first at Mexico (three or four cars would be added) and then a bit a Canada (adds to Great Lakes fan base). But if OWRS keeps Champcar limping along for a couple of years then it'll be hard to land such a race. Portland might wind up getting a one time deal - althugh I think IRL definitely does not like these, while waiting for Long Beach to become available in 2005.

In short I suspect the desire is for races in

1. SoCal (Long Beach)
2. NorCal (Infineon or Laguna Seca)
3. Atlanta (Road Atlanta)
4. Northeast (where?)
5. Great Lakes (Toronto, Canada or Mid-Ohio or Road America)
6. Mexico (obviously Mexico City tops)

It will be interseting to see what happens.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 21:12 (Ref:893936)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Northeast IS a tough call...

I think the two best options would be Lime Rock or Watkins Glen, but as I understnad it, the Glen is not up to International standards and because it has been designated as a "Historic site," cannot be revamped to bring it up to the safety standards necessary for Champ cars to run there....

Old 4 Mar 2004, 21:14 (Ref:893942)   #23
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
cannot be revamped to bring it up to the safety standards necessary for Champ cars to run there....
Who's talking about Champ Cars anyway?
Old 5 Mar 2004, 16:20 (Ref:895059)   #24
dirtfan
Racer

dirtfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey! if Rodger Ward could run his 110 Offy midget at Lime Rock (and do the Whup-Down on 'em), couldn't Tracy Hines or Dave Darland bring their Dirt Champ cars to The Glen?

Last edited by dirtfan; 5 Mar 2004 at 16:21.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 16:26 (Ref:895065)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I don't play semantics...copyrights or no copyrights...

Champ cars are the "open-wheeled" cars that have raced in USAC (until early 1980s), CART (late 1970s-2003), the IRL (1996-Present)....

Watkins Glen is not FIA approved and is not safe for cars that will run at IRL speeds...priod...and the course cannot be changed for the season above...