Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jun 2004, 00:35 (Ref:999206)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Having doubts?

At one point or another, we have all jumped on the bandwagon of an up and coming driver. But have you ever decided to get back off it?

Much to Inigo's displeasure, I recently departed Fisi's bandwagon. About a year ago, Ralf lost me as well.

Anyone having second thoughts about anyone. Has any driver failed to live up to the expectation you once gave them?
Old 10 Jun 2004, 00:44 (Ref:999209)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, interesting...

I have to say, I'm just beginning to doubt Mark Webber. I know, I know, his car is garbage, his team is in disarray, and he still beats his teamate, but the fact is, he is looking very average this year. He has done nothing to seperate himself from the pack, like he did last year.

He cannot give-up, but it's beginning to look like he has...

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Jun 2004, 00:59 (Ref:999214)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Ohhh, thats gonna get some hairs up

Note : Remember people, this does'nt have to be a fight. Eveyone can have their opinion regardless of if you agree with it. So a reply is'nt required, just tell us what you think.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 00:59 (Ref:999215)   #4
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
even if I have second thoughts about a driver(no . not MS ).. i'll never say it in public

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Jun 2004, 01:28 (Ref:999220)   #5
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Hmmm, interesting...

I have to say, I'm just beginning to doubt Mark Webber. I know, I know, his car is garbage, his team is in disarray, and he still beats his teamate, but the fact is, he is looking very average this year. He has done nothing to seperate himself from the pack, like he did last year.

He cannot give-up, but it's beginning to look like he has...
Alright.. I'm not gonna fight you but I just completely and vehemently disagree with you.

Webber is the best thing to happen to f1 for years and he is impressing me with every passing day. Have you forgotten his exceptional drive at the nurburgring?? I know that people doesnt like him because he's a tough Aussie who kicks a***. But Imho he's got the right attitude to take on the pre-madonnas in top cars. The guy has got guts and he has what it takes. I can bet my bottom cent on him becoming a champ one day.

Now, who has disappointed me... its our good old TGF. And before you start pulling my leg, let me tell you the reason:

I am just off that even after winning five titles, he isnt willing to give an inch to his teammate. He isnt just willing to 'compete'. If I were him, I would say what the heck, man, I want a real fight. Doesnt TGF say to himself 'what is my real level??", 'where do I stand??'..

Anyway.. I have tremendous respect for his abilities. He's a great driver with such a child-like approach to racing, it just makes me think.. 'what a shame'.

Last edited by freud; 10 Jun 2004 at 01:30.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 01:35 (Ref:999222)   #6
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've jumped ON to Button's bandwagon.He's matured and he's got a good car and he's getting the results..
Old 10 Jun 2004, 01:53 (Ref:999232)   #7
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
freud what you said on both counts.
On the TGF thing his only thinking is for future generations (ie my sons) he will be known as the greatest ever.When where all gone the history books will show only results.There will be no-one to remind everyone the,unfortunatly,Rubans is Michaels lap dog and only allowed to win if MS crashes or breaks down.The stats never tell that and they never lie.
Call me cynical if you want but remember I have emence respect for the driver and team but not the meathod used to achive the goal.

The Grumpy1
Old 10 Jun 2004, 02:06 (Ref:999237)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by fast95pony
I've jumped ON to Button's bandwagon.He's matured and he's got a good car and he's getting the results..
Me too!

I did'nt have many good things to say about him a while back (and stand by those thoughts at the time), but he really has stepped up the last 2 seasons.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 02:11 (Ref:999238)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Rubans is Michaels lap dog and only allowed to win if MS crashes or breaks down.
Perhaps he is incapable of winning unless MS crashes or breaks down.

We already have one thread on this, so lets stick to everyone else shall we.

I have to say, I have'nt given up yet, but both Montoya and Kimi are failing to live up to the expectations I had for them.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 02:18 (Ref:999241)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I have to say, I have'nt given up yet, but both Montoya and Kimi are failing to live up to the expectations I had for them.
And you said my post was going to raise some hairs!

You just knocked 2 of F1's golden boys in one post!

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Jun 2004, 02:36 (Ref:999244)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I thought Webber was going to be much more of a force than Button this year.

Realizing of course that the BAR is no longer the BARF (and I publicly apologized regarding that if you will kindly recall), I just thought that Webber was really showing last year that he was ready to up his game closer to the level of the boys at the top 3 teams (as of the end of last season.

It just does not seem that he is extracting the maximum this year as he was last year. Again, that could be the car more than the driver.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 03:13 (Ref:999262)   #12
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps he is incapable of winning unless MS crashes or breaks down.

We already have one thread on this, so lets stick to everyone else shall we.

Bit hard on Kimi.Maybe that should be directed at thoose responsible for his engins.

Your saying Rubans is as good as MS

JPM's heart belongs to The Mac and he said so at the start of the year.Why Frank didn't sack him I don't know
Old 10 Jun 2004, 03:32 (Ref:999272)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Having doubts?

Quote:

Much to Inigo's displeasure, I recently departed Fisi's bandwagon. About a year ago, Ralf lost me as well.

Shame on you Wrex! You'll soon be back on it, my friend

Jumped on alot of them - Jenson and Mark's to name two. One guy I expected much more from is Heidfeld, but then again, he's a junior Fisi: stuck with a **** car. My worst fear is that Mark will end up like them as well.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 05:35 (Ref:999297)   #14
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Bit hard on Kimi.Maybe that should be directed at thoose responsible for his engins.
Agreed.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 05:40 (Ref:999300)   #15
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso...less effort on hair more on driving
Old 10 Jun 2004, 05:57 (Ref:999309)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although some people have seen me as a Ralf apologist I have never been on any driver's bandwagon. However I did get a bit peeved with the pro JPM anti Ralf tripe that was put about previously.

The change in Mickey-the-Shoe's attitude has pleased me. I have always liked is enthusiam but some of his moves really did dissapoint. But now we can tell that we are watching a true master at work. Even the mistakes give us all pleasure just to show he is human after all.

I've been a Button supporter since his arrival. And here comes a Ralf reference again. Most people said he was good because he was capable of beating Ralf. Then most people said Ralf was useless. Go figure.

So Button is one of my favourites.

I'll never be a JPM fan because to me he whines too much, but I can acknowledge his approach this year which is a step up from previous seasons.

Never seen the attraction of Fisi. Nice bloke but there it stops.

Kimi is good to watch, likewise Alonso. But niether are shining this year (for various reasons). Trulli? For me the jury is still out. He needs to put more consistency into his game.

Mark W? Again a great bloke and can make a car work but............. nah, can't say I'm over impressed. A point for Minardi in his debut race is where it stops for me.

Sato. Hmm. Too inconsistent and over enthusiastic. But exciting for all that.

Never rated DC and never will.

So I don't think I'm about to jump on any bandwagons but if Ant gets that Williams seat there'll be lots to cheer about in my living room.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 06:22 (Ref:999314)   #17
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya was the one i feel let down by. I think in the later part of last season the pressure got to him and he couldn't cope. I know he had some bad luck and everything and that contributed to him not winning the WDC but at the same time he seamed to of lost focus.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 08:32 (Ref:999396)   #18
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Likewise. I had high hopes that Monty would be the one to come in and challenge the establishment. There's still time for him to do this but he needs to get focused and stop suffering from occasional brain fade.

The one bandwagon that I really leapt clear of was Alonso, and that was for that idiotic moment in Brazil in the rain; IMHO he should have been excluded from the race for his actions, but it was all put down to "youthful exhuberance".
Old 10 Jun 2004, 09:17 (Ref:999429)   #19
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jumping on the latest bandwagon is the easiest thing in the world to do - if a driver is hyped so much by the media, it's difficult not to allow some of it to soak in.

Jumping mid-flow from one bandwagon to another is pretty easy too... every time the new 'hot thing' is hyped, it makes your driver look a little less 'shiny'. Just look at some of the incoming drivers that have been hyped up to messiah level and now seem to have faded a little - Montoya two years ago, Raikkonen, Alonso last year, Webber. The current 'hot thing' is Jenson. Who knows who's turn it'll be next season. It's all part of the media market. Just because your driver isn't this year's media darling, don't lose faith in him. I don't think there's any less chance of Montoya, Raikkonen, Alonso or Webber becoming a WDC now than there was when they enjoyed the hype.

I have high hopes for Christian Klien. He just seems to have that little extra psychologically. But such is the way of F1 that his light may never get the chance to shine any brighter than it has already - deserved or not.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 09:40 (Ref:999447)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I remain on the Button bandwaggon but sadly have to retire from the Heidfeldt trolley.

When at the Goodwood FOS some years back when Nick was the McLaren test driver I overheard the team raving about Nick, saying he was the next Mickey the Shoe blah blah blah. Sadly, for various reasons he hasn't managed to live up to their expectations.

For me the jury is still out on Sato...
Old 10 Jun 2004, 09:45 (Ref:999454)   #21
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummm No - I haven't 'jumped off the bandwagon' and I don't intend to. IMHO Mark will make it in F1 is a question of when he will get a decent car!

what most ppl tend to forget that the Jaguar is one of the worst cars realiabity wise on the grid & most drivers would struggle with this. Look @ kimi and monty - they would be better off if their cars & engines would keep up & same with Mark!

Give Mark Webber a decent, competitive car and lets see what he can do!
Old 10 Jun 2004, 09:52 (Ref:999460)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never do any 'bandwagon hopping', never did and never will do anyway. I see one driver that i like and i stick by it, no matter what. I stopped watching F1 when my favourite driver 'stopped' once , and will probably do so again if there's absolutely no chance that Jacques will return.
Even though alot of people here are more than willing to "prove" that he won't return, i'll just wait until the Williams/Toyota/Whatever lineup is decided for 2005 to decide if i'll bother to watch it further.

'Blablabla, blablabla' i hear you think...
Old 10 Jun 2004, 10:07 (Ref:999475)   #23
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing wrong in that ASCII. But keep an eye on F1, even if you don't watch every race - you never know when a new driver will turn up who re-ignites your interest.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 10:09 (Ref:999479)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"I see one driver that i like and i stick by it, no matter what."

Yepp, me too. But i won't exactly stop at one. It's more about the skill and the attitude that gets me hooked on a driver...

I won't exactly say i jump on the bandwagon of the current crops of drivers...i just follow who i admire, without really letting the hype get into me.

I wasn't one who jumped at the sight of JPM/Kimi. 4 years down, we know both didn't really fulfill the hype. I started of with cautions and some doubt, despite being aware of their potential...people were all raving how these guys would get into a good car and shatter MS, but i'd rather wait and see it happen.

I kinda warm up to the (different) skills these 2 guys showed...and it gains on me. They may not be perfect but their driving style/approach are interesting in certain ways, and i'm more and more convinced. But while i also grew to like the character of Kimi, i'm not quite as keen on JPM.

And lately, drivers like Button, Webber have a chance to show what qualities they possess, and i'm quite impressed with what i see. And that i guess is the main point, to judge things on what you see rather than listening to the hype.

Every new F1 driver came into F1 as the next big thing...and only the rare gem really shine.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 10:28 (Ref:999495)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really can't understand those who say Kimi's not living up to the hype.

Last year he finished 2 points off being World Champion.

This year his engine blows up every race, and is down on power.

If the MP4-19B is as good as the team hope, Kimi will remind you how good he is.

As for bandwagons, I respect all the drivers.