Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 Jun 2004, 14:10 (Ref:999705)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nurburgring and Lauda ...

A quick quiz question!

Where on the circuit did Lauda have that crash in 1976?
Old 10 Jun 2004, 14:15 (Ref:999709)   #2
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ggrrrr . .. Ex-Muehle/Bergwerk or the next section i think ..

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Jun 2004, 14:16 (Ref:999713)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the next section is Kesselchen. Ring any bells?
Old 10 Jun 2004, 14:18 (Ref:999714)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Dani that piece of info allowed me to find this: http://www.f1-grandprix.com/history4.html
Quote:
at the German Grand Prix on 1 August, Lauda crashed his Ferrari at Bergwerk, a 150 mph section of the Nürburgring, in a massive, flaming accident that still brings shivers when viewed to this day.
Cheers
Old 10 Jun 2004, 14:20 (Ref:999718)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thanks to Grand Prix Legends .. for the names .. i knew the corner .. but i forgot the name

Last edited by Dani Filth; 10 Jun 2004 at 14:22.

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Jun 2004, 17:27 (Ref:999889)   #6
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bergwerk is a right-hand corner, actually how did Laudas car hit the right side of the bank?

Last edited by 429CJ; 10 Jun 2004 at 17:28.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 10 Jun 2004, 17:35 (Ref:999898)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was all sorts of speculation about a mechanical failure.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 18:18 (Ref:999937)   #8
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was at the lowest part of the circuit just after where it crosses the bridge over the road to Adenau and begins the long climb up towards the Karussel. It's called Exmuhle.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 18:26 (Ref:999950)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dear god, I still remember that day, can't believe he survived to that horrific crash.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 18:45 (Ref:999970)   #10
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eh JGM? I've never heard of it happening at Ex-Muhle before :confused: You sound fairly certain though. What's your source?

I always thought it was at Bergwerk too, at least that's what every source I've ever read on the accident says. Judging by the footage, and having now driven it in GPL, it seems very likely to me that the corner was in fact the un-named left-hander immediately after Bergwerk. Marked it with a dot on this map:-

[EDIT: just to add the map is from http://www.racingcircuits.net/ a great site! Adam /EDIT]
Attached Thumbnails
nurburgring%20nordschliefe%201967.gif  

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Jun 2004 at 17:10.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 10 Jun 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1000103)   #11
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crozier74
It was a little further up the road than your dot. We were the race before the GP and when they bought Lauda's car back to the Paddock after, you knew he was in trouble.
Motors TV have been running some legend programmes and they have his shunt captured from start to his release with guys like Guy Edwards trying to fish him out. It was pretty bloody dreadful.
It's a very fast narrow uphill part of the circuit and there's a long way to go on full throttle, and the surface undulates too. Clipping the curbs can unsettle the car and if you run out of room, get two wheels on the grass, you're in deep trouble.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1000161)   #12
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure?? From the photos i've seen it's more to the left-corner before bergwerk (so, the corner after ex-muhle). Don't know for sure though...
Old 11 Jun 2004, 08:00 (Ref:1000484)   #13
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
it appeard to be a left corner to me too

Ciao Marco
Old 12 Jun 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1001793)   #14
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 917Addicted
Are you sure?? From the photos i've seen it's more to the left-corner before bergwerk (so, the corner after ex-muhle). Don't know for sure though...
Ah, yes, that might be it In the footage, the corner seemed to be fast, but a bit tighter radius than the one after Bergwerk, which is a never-ending sweeper. The banking at the one before Berwerk is also much steeper than the one after it, which goes with the footage. Maybe one of us GPLers can make a gif animation of what the two corners are like in GPL, and compare it to the footage of Lauda's crash, to identify which is the more likely one where it happened.

Overall, I think your right, and I'm wrong
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 12 Jun 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1001988)   #15
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I maybe completely wrong, but I don't think I am. But I was sure it was after the dot on your map, not before.

If it was before, the circuit runs down hill into Bergwerk, which doesn't compute, and the curves after Bergwerk are up hill and to the left.

I look forward to the matter being resolved !!
Old 12 Jun 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1001999)   #16
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was at the flat out LH bend before Bergwerk. So on the map 2 corners before the dot, just above the e in Ex-muhle.

Thought this was well known??? I've always been told it was there by those people who teach others the circuit.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 12 Jun 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1002031)   #17
gfm
Veteran

Apolgies; I stand corrected. Which is why it's called Lauda Curves on the new circuit maps.
I don't remember the circuit surface being that lumpy there.

Last edited by gfm; 12 Jun 2004 at 19:45.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1002034)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wherever it was, it sure was a strange crash though.
Looked alot like a right rear suspension failure or something.
Old 12 Jun 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1002037)   #19
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just saw the video, and it is a very strange looking crash indeed. Surely a failure of some sort... not even time for Lauda to countersteer or anything before he as spearing off course.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 17:16 (Ref:1007161)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'll start with a picture:

This is from the bridge going over the Adenau/Breidscheid road. At the top of the picture the right hander corner leads onto the 'straight' towards Bergwerk that contains that flat left hander. I'm afraid I have no pics of it (cameras are banned when driving around it and when we walked it we didn't have the camera ).

gfm, I've not seen it called the Lauda curves. The map I bought while there didn't have it on, although of course not all corners are named.

It is a great place and I strongly suggest that anyone who gets the chance goes. Maybe I'll see you there as I'm going back...

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Jun 2004 at 17:17.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1007162)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
mod stuff: I think this will be better served in the historic forum, although of course perhaps it would be good in the track days forum - not that it is a track day - hmmm perhaps another thread there!

Moved from F1 to Historic.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1007339)   #22
gfm
Veteran

If you go on nurburgring.de, they have some circuit maps on there, and that curve named after Nicki.
I enjoyed ten races there in the seventies and a couple since and the memories are as fresh as ever.
It's a most daunting and marvallous place for real drivers. I've said this before, but I always enjoy going in company with a few 'cowboys' who fancy themselves a bit; then they have a look around for the first time and, after that faces are a little more 'concentrated'!
More than a smattering of fear ...!!
Old 17 Jun 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1007345)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thanks for pointing out the map It is indeed a fantastic place, we walked a bit of it the evening before we went round. I wondered at what point someone would point out that actually it is all a big joke and they never did actually race cars round there! However, when out in a car it felt natural, it was obvious people should race there.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 20:42 (Ref:1007359)   #24
gfm
Veteran

It's a real 'journey' isn't it. Stunning views from some places. Extemely vicious if it's raining.
Old 17 Jun 2004, 20:45 (Ref:1007364)   #25
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
yes . thats the place i climb with my Lotus 49 .. .. second gear(others in 1st) 80 kph and accelerate hard blind left corner . and brake hard before you climb to the karusel(quite a few corners before karusell) .. yeap .. GPL is quite accurate

Ciao Marco