Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2001, 23:15 (Ref:68657)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[BAR driver Jacques Villeneuve] said "You know it doesn't bother me half as much as it seems to bother everyone else. People keep on coming up to me to talk about it and it is scary. I don't care...My age has got nothing to do with it and I don't have any feelings at all about reaching this certain age everyone is talking about." Villeneuve turns 30 on 9th of April."

My question is this. If as he says, Jacques is "not at all bothered" by the fact that he is just about to reach the age his father had reached when he was killed, why is he unable to say the actual words? Instead of "this certain age everyone is talking about" why not "the age my father was when he was killed"?

Not that he has to say anything about it, but IMO if he's going to talk about it, he should talk about it. If not, then not. That paragraph of toe-dancing quoted above sounds like Bill Clinton denying he ever inhaled.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 23:34 (Ref:68670)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Wrong call

I think you got it all wrong Liz - what he really didn't want to admit is that he is going old and bald and Danny thinks he is an old balding fart.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 23:38 (Ref:68671)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um, nobody would have to ask him about that - they can see it for themselves!

Any guy who would prefer to lock himself in his room and play video games rather than, um, spend any time with that Miss he just dumped, is obviously in deep trouble.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 23:51 (Ref:68680)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Well, the words boring, insensitive, male chauvenist, etc etc come into it also, but I still admit that on the track, he is one of my favourites, and when I see his car go past, I just try to will it to do better.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 02:24 (Ref:68709)   #5
Liz
Veteran

I really tried to like him for his father's sake. But I can't do it. I don't wish him any ill luck or anything, but I just ... oh, I don't know. Maybe it's just that if I liked the father I don't like the son.

Maybe Jacques isn't the only old fart around here ...
Old 6 Mar 2001, 02:26 (Ref:68710)   #6
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you VB. On the track the guy is simply amasing and has more guts than any of the other drivers. Off the track yeah he is all of those things (not sure about the chauvenist part though) and maybe should invest in a little rogain. But those remarks are all very personal and you can't take away the fact that he is an awesome driver.
I don't understand why you have such a problem with this Liz? Maybe it really is a touchy subject for him, I mean it is his father, and I'm sure he doesn't want to think about it. By actually saying it it's only going to blow up the issue even more in the media. And saying "No comment" well that's simply not his style, you know that
Personally I think it's a bit of a low blow trying to bash Villeneuve on this subject.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 02:30 (Ref:68713)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Well, I surely don't mean to 'bash" him on the subject. He could just say "No comment" or tell someone else to say it on his behalf. It's the half-answer I think is silly. If he can't say No Comment, he could say, "Look, shut the **** up about that!"

As for what he is like on the track, well, I don't think so. But it's differences of opinion that makes good racing.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 08:49 (Ref:68800)   #8
Blackjack21
Rookie

Blackjack21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he just feels its nobody's business!
Old 6 Mar 2001, 09:09 (Ref:68806)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Hi Blackjack 21, a big welcome to our friendly abuse and insult free forum. PLease stay and enjoy yourself with some intresting ideas.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 10:56 (Ref:68820)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Blackjack Welcome

Welcome aboard Blackjack 21,

I agree, Jacques has consistently played down, or ignored the familial link. Some things he would seem to want to keep private, and good luck to him.

About playing video games rather than spending time with Danni Minogue. Although the surgically enhanced Danni is an eyeful, maybe she is not such a great conversationalist.
And every woman knows men choose a good sense of humour and scintilating conversation over the attraction of the female body everytime!

this post was writen by the new reformed Muffy, stone cold sober and not liking it one bit! Where's Hunter S Thompson when you need him the most!
Old 6 Mar 2001, 11:34 (Ref:68831)   #11
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good round figures like 30 may dip into depression everybody. Many people don't like to discuss their age, evaluate their achivements and so on. Why must Jacques do? I never have been Jacques' fan, but his drive became more mature last year. Regarding his streaks, let him be... Just to make the peletone more different. DO we really need the whole grid of politically correct guys?
Old 6 Mar 2001, 20:03 (Ref:68963)   #12
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure Liz

Oh I'm sure a comment like that wouldn't bring this subject more attention in the media!!

True a difference in opinion about him on the track...I guess we can leave it at that, but you know how I feel.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 20:21 (Ref:68968)   #13
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Father was killed in a car accident when I was 6 yrs old .
I'm not exactly sure how old he was, but I know I'm not that far away now about 2-3yrs .
I've never really thought that same could happen to me any more than it could for anybody else, my odds are just the same as anybody else's.(Except for the fascination with speed that I share with my Father )
Infact I've never even considered that just because I'm soon to be the same age, that the same is going to happen to me.

I suppose JV feels a similar way if it wasn't for people bringing it up, it wouldn't be an issue

Sorry if that sounded a bit heavy or glum just trying to get a point across

As for reaching 30 for me it doesn't mean a thing at all, 29 30 31 whats the difference

On the track JV definitely has a rare talent

(P.S.) I've learned more from this spell checker than I ever did at school
But it's not big and it's not clever pay attention at school kiddies
Old 6 Mar 2001, 21:16 (Ref:68985)   #14
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you should consider Jaques spends alot of time talking to media and if he wants to steer the focus off his father and anything related to him, who can blame him. He hardly had time to get to know his dad. This is his time in the limelight and should be about him, his sponsors, his girlfriend etc etc etc Maybe he has alot of unresolved issues or considers it a private matter.As long as he continues to perform on the track, that is good enough for me.
Old 7 Mar 2001, 00:30 (Ref:69040)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Well, to be serious this time, I think that was a stupid and insensitive question to ask Jacques. It's like asking Mrs Lincoln "apart from the incident, how did you enjoy the performance?" My brother passed away twelve years ago, and sometimes when I am thinking of ski-ing, I think of him and I feel very sad. I still find it difficult to talk about him when friends ask about him, not knowing he passed away. Maybe I am just too emotional on this subject. Maybe Jacques feels the same.
Old 7 Mar 2001, 01:04 (Ref:69049)   #16
Liz
Veteran

It's been done before, that someone instructs his press agent or whatever that he will not answer any questions on a certain subject. In fact, I once saw an interview last less than 30 seconds because the reporter insisted on opening with a question he'd already been cautioned not to ask. He was instantly ejected from the area without his interview.

As far as the continuing public curiosity (mingled with dread for some of us) as Jacques reaches the age his father was when he was killed, well, we all like a good soap opera and this has all the hallmarks of same...