Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Jul 2007, 05:58 (Ref:1975565)   #1
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Crowds

hey i was just wondering who has a bigger crowd and tv audience champ cars or indy cars
Old 29 Jul 2007, 07:54 (Ref:1975604)   #2
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That’s an interesting question, some may not like it but interesting all the same.

My gut feel is going to say IRL but after Scott Dixon left Champ Car and headed of to IRL we just don’t get Champ Car coverage in NZ anymore so I have to confess my decision is gut only and without evidence.

The other thing to take into consideration is that Champ Car do have an extra 2 races in their season (IRL 17 races & Champ Cars 19 races) but then again IRL has got the Indy 500 with some 400,000 in attendance plus the TV coverage. Hard one to pick, maybe someone from the States can help with real data.

Last edited by NAC; 29 Jul 2007 at 07:56.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 09:33 (Ref:1975652)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Attendance wise CC, but people at tf insists that CC lies about the attendances and in actual fact they are small.

It's swings and round-a-bouts really. The IRL obviously has the indy 500, Kansas and Iowa had good attendance.

TV ratings wise in the US they are around the same = poor.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 12:52 (Ref:1975746)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.kuiper
hey i was just wondering who has a bigger crowd and tv audience champ cars or indy cars
I dont think there is anything to be gained by either side by the result of such a question
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1975936)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All that can be said is neither side are really good enough. Or could, at least, do better with some direction applied.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 21:10 (Ref:1975971)   #6
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
champ cars city street races seem to get attended well. Ditto probably to IRLs street race, as well as obviously Indy. But like Knowlesy says, neither are good enough. I know its been said every day for 10 years now, but id like a merger. Mainly for the depth in field.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 29 Jul 2007, 21:16 (Ref:1975976)   #7
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
I know its been said every day for 10 years now, but id like a merger. Mainly for the depth in field.
That would be nice but it will either be a very big field and I cant really see that happening or leave a lot of drivers without a drive. Even so will it up the ratings if it did merge??
Old 29 Jul 2007, 21:21 (Ref:1975980)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TBH I'd love to have a merge but TBH I doubt it would make that much difference. AOWR is in a poor state now. There isn't direction and most fans from CC and IRL watch both series so I doubt it would make that much difference ratings wise. However I think it would attract old fans who get fed up and new fans.

But both series together would be very good for both as they both need each other.

Either will die if there isn't a merge. Came very close last year, parties from both sides still are trying to push for a merge but Kk and TG aren't interested anymore and both are doing thir own direction now with both series.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1976019)   #9
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, problem is there can't be a merge without TG admitting he was wrong... even if looking at the shape of the IRL now compared to what drove him to create it he practically has admitted that. Merging with champcar now would basically be a full return to the CART model - I don't see TG conceding that. I think it's going to take one series collapsing and teams being forced to the other simply for somewhere to race.

Which would not be a good scenario...

It almost happened in the early 2000's with champcar, but they've managed to limp through. Ironically it might have been better if it had died then, there might have been a chance of Newman-Haas etc. moving across...

Last edited by deejay; 29 Jul 2007 at 22:54.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1976021)   #10
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
That would be nice but it will either be a very big field and I cant really see that happening or leave a lot of drivers without a drive.
Oh noes, Milka won't have a drive!
Old 30 Jul 2007, 01:14 (Ref:1976048)   #11
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
Yeah, problem is there can't be a merge without TG admitting he was wrong... ...
And that is just not going to happen
Old 30 Jul 2007, 01:16 (Ref:1976050)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
how did this go from crowds to a merger ??

Lets try and keep on topic shall we please
Old 30 Jul 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1976268)   #13
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the common thread is that if there was a merger (or if CC was just left to die a death) then the crowds would be likely to increase. Better TV coverage is a key to it, I think - it's poor. Reducing the prize money a little, and upping the TV coverage would help to increase the exposure and therefore the crowds - street races are great for crowds, but so are some of the ovals ... one series, howsoever it comes about, could really capitalise on that. Crowds need entertaining at a race weekend, and that needs addressing too. Improve the show.
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 06:20 (Ref:1976879)   #14
n.kuiper
Rookie

New Zealand
waiuku
n.kuiper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think a merger is the only way for either of them to grow and also you wouldnt lose to many drivers because the grids arent exactly packed a 40 car field would be great
Old 31 Jul 2007, 06:43 (Ref:1976889)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Regerettably, I believe we are stuck with more or less the current situation until one side dies.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1977253)   #16
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There was a huge crowd at mid-Ohio for the IRL race, but let us not forget that Honda have a big car plant in Ohio, and it has been suggested that Honda gave away a lot of free tickets. The same can be said of Champ Car at Vegas this year. The season opener was FREE to watch for everyone apart from those in the grand-stand seating on the start/finish line.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:09 (Ref:1977336)   #17
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint
If one series was to go under, I have no doubt at all that it would be Champ Car
Sadly I agree. As the IRL keeps adding road courses to their schedule it might attract some CCWS teams across, also of course the chance to race at the Indy 500.
It would only take one or two of the top teams to make the switch and ChampCars would effectively be over.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:41 (Ref:1977363)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint
There was a huge crowd at mid-Ohio for the IRL race, but let us not forget that Honda have a big car plant in Ohio, and it has been suggested that Honda gave away a lot of free tickets.
Definitely true. Honda actually has multiple facilities in the Mid Ohio area - Marysville (motorcycles and cars), Anna (engines), Russells Point (transmissions) and East Liberty (cars). They made, from all accounts, 22,000 tickets available to employees and family (up to four per family).

That might be 35-40% of the attendance, which I'm sure is going to push 50k for the Saturday and 60k for the Sunday.

I hope the folks at Alliston get a similar incentive given to them to attend Mosport for the ALMS! Not that Mosport needs the help, though.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 31 Jul 2007, 16:50 (Ref:1977430)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Mi-Ohio did get a big attendance all be it due to a big percentage of free tickets and being with the ALMS but it is still impressive. There are big CC and IRL races it's just the rest usually lack pretty much everything. Time will tell.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 19:13 (Ref:1977557)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem is that for on-site atendance, you are comparing apples to oranges in numbers, because CCWS counts the three-day totals and the IRL promoters count race day only at their venues.

FWIW

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 31 Jul 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1977704)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and is it significant ??

Probably LOL

But you have to take into account plent of things such as Location of the track compared to sorrounding population , also what kind of show is the entire weekend putting on compared to just the "main show"

and probably heaps of other things such as how easy is it to get to the place , accomodation nearby for out of towners.

for example using another series , the V8 supercars one of the best events of the year is the round held at Winton , its in the middle of nowhere and doesnt pull a massive crowd (but a great one for its location) so therefore its a success because the fans love it but im guessing the corporate blokes in charge may not because its not a huge revenue earner.

Ticket prices are another thing as well , I have no idea of comparable prices in CC and Indycar but one maybe a huge price and the other maybe alot cheaper (all comes back to value for money for us punters)

so to shut me up , I agree with Tim its apples and Oranges , its pretty hard to compare attendences when you take some of these things (and probably more as well) into consideration.

I'd like to see a combined weekend between the 2 series , 2 series , 1 track both headlining the bill.

I'd pay top dollar for that
Old 1 Aug 2007, 00:40 (Ref:1977753)   #22
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
so to shut me up , I agree with Tim its apples and Oranges , its pretty hard to compare attendences when you take some of these things (and probably more as well) into consideration.

I'd like to see a combined weekend between the 2 series , 2 series , 1 track both headlining the bill.

I'd pay top dollar for that
That my friend is a very good idea and I would pay to go see that, it would be absolutely fantastic. Trouble is it would never happen in a million years.

Tim, why do IRL only count race day? do you have any figures on the entire weekends?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:11 (Ref:1977981)   #23
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
When they raced head-to-head this year ICS's TV rating was twice as high as CCs.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1978248)   #24
The Saint
Rookie

United States
Florida
The Saint has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
The problem is that for on-site atendance, you are comparing apples to oranges in numbers, because CCWS counts the three-day totals and the IRL promoters count race day only at their venues.

FWIW
I don’t know how they could legitimately do this. IRL and CC races normally are part of a package. I used to live in Kansas and the IRL race there was part of a three series weekend. You could NOT buy tickets for one event only. One of the races was a Craftsman Truck race, which is VERY popular with the redneck…..ooops sorry NASCAR fans.

If IRL calculated the crowds over three days, they would be MUCH larger indeed!

Champ Car race weekends often are tied into ALMS series and other events. They should calculate crowds on race day only.
Old 2 Aug 2007, 14:08 (Ref:1979086)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They state its a weekend crowd though, no attempting to push it off as a race day crowd.