Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Dec 2002, 07:51 (Ref:455983)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Land Speed Record Attempts

I've been fascinated all my life (well, the 19 years of it) by the Land Speed record. The drivers who break the record are true legends in my book, and it's a pity that these feat's over the years haven't seemed to get the recognition they deserve. Post here your thoughts on it, memories, questions, whatever

Regarding the 1979 Budweiser Rocket, which supposedly was the first to break the sound barrier. I know that the major problem with their attempt was that they only had one go at it, they didn't give a return run. I have also heard that they didn't use official timing systems and their wasn't an FIA representitive there. Is this the case? And why so?
Old 23 Dec 2002, 09:29 (Ref:456001)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IS this the right place to say RIP Don Vesco - current/former driven lsr for both two wheels and four
Old 23 Dec 2002, 12:01 (Ref:456068)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too find the Land Speed Record very interesting. Regarding the Bud Rocket, I believe the car was deemed to dangerous for a return run, by the driver. It was also only a three wheeled vehicle, not four as indeed the FIA requires for something to classify as a 'car.'

I also heard that a sonic boom was never heard, so no one even knows if it did break the record.

http://cfm.globalf1.net/history/land...cord/index.htm
Old 23 Dec 2002, 13:07 (Ref:456107)   #4
Steve L
Rookie

Steve L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that the reason a return run was not made was because the one hour allowed between runs did not allow the team time to change the Sidewinder missile used to supplement the main rocket engine?
Old 23 Dec 2002, 18:58 (Ref:456320)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's actually pretty close to what happened, I believe. The sadness was that all the effort was put into the Budweiser Rocket project, which was always going to have difficulty complying with the return run stipulation which had been in place for the best part of 70 years.

The other curiosity is that I seem to recall some debate about whether the characteristic "boom" of breaking the sound barrier was actually heard that day. While I accept that a sonic boom is a pretty directional phenomenon, and can be missed if you're in the wrong place, there is massive eyewitness and taped evidence that Thrust SSC did indeed crack the sound barrier, and so far I've not seen anything which backs up the same claim for the Budweiser Rocket.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 19:57 (Ref:456359)   #6
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if it is true or not, but a pilot advised me that the "speed of sound" is not a set speed, it varies on wind speed, air pressure and height above sea level.

The wind speed I can understand in that a 50mph tail wind will increase the groundspeed required.

Simon
Old 23 Dec 2002, 22:51 (Ref:456460)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
I don't know if it is true or not, but a pilot advised me that the "speed of sound" is not a set speed, it varies on wind speed, air pressure and height above sea level.
This is certainly true.

I think that Thrust SSC broke both the local sound barrier (hence the boom) and the standard sea-level value.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 22:58 (Ref:456463)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you watched 'the mission' on bbc a few years back (I still have it on video - superb) They explain all of this and after doing the record run the had to wait for a few stressed minute to find out if they were over mach one even though they had already broken the local sound barrier.
One thought - the wheel driven record has stood for ages now - I believe its still held by golden rod??? Scrapheap mega challenge perhaps?? I think we should get a ten tenth team together a zepplin engine and head to Pendine sands...
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:11 (Ref:456795)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
One thought - the wheel driven record has stood for ages now - I believe its still held by golden rod???
C3P0? :confused: Isn't it R2D2 with the wheels?
Quote:

Scrapheap mega challenge perhaps?? I think we should get a ten tenth team together a zepplin engine and head to Pendine sands...
"To make there life a little easier we have hidden four seven litre Chrysler V8 engines somewhere in the scrapheap"
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:43 (Ref:456819)   #10
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was thinkig a bunch of ferraris old f1 v12s
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:47 (Ref:456820)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
http://www.landspeed.com/links.html

some yanks are trying nick nick 'our' record!
Old 24 Dec 2002, 15:05 (Ref:456827)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
the new wheel driven record!!! set last year?

http://www.simonlewis.com/Don-Vesco-Turbinator.html
Old 27 Dec 2002, 01:12 (Ref:457910)   #13
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
the new wheel driven record!!! set last year?

http://www.simonlewis.com/Don-Vesco-Turbinator.html
As josvandeperre mentioned, it would seem that Don Vesco won't be able to defend that record:

http://www.motorcyclenewswire.com/news.cfm?newsid=2133

Last edited by alfasud; 27 Dec 2002 at 01:13.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 02:15 (Ref:458586)   #14
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: World Land Speed Record Attempts

Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
I've been fascinated all my life (well, the 19 years of it) by the Land Speed record. The drivers who break the record are true legends in my book, and it's a pity that these feat's over the years haven't seemed to get the recognition they deserve. Post here your thoughts on it, memories, questions, whatever

Regarding the 1979 Budweiser Rocket, which supposedly was the first to break the sound barrier. I know that the major problem with their attempt was that they only had one go at it, they didn't give a return run. I have also heard that they didn't use official timing systems and their wasn't an FIA representitive there. Is this the case? And why so?
I had heard that they tried to a some cred to this by gettng Chuck Yager to say he heard the sonic boom while he was watching this.

Evan Green was Team Manager for Donald Campbells Bluebird which ran on Lake Erye I believe
Old 31 Dec 2002, 21:05 (Ref:461203)   #15
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The LSR has been for so long a super-exotic activity pursued on deserts and salt flats it reassuring to recall that in 1909 a new LSR was set by Victor Hemery driving a 22 litre Darracq along the N113 Arles - Salon road in southern France - at 109MPH. No front brakes, no bodywork, just a chassis and an engine - and, for some reason, a riding mechanic.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 17:16 (Ref:468614)   #16
Mr Lister
Rookie

Mr Lister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's currently a plan to break the LSR using a rocket propelled sled over ice....! Cheeck it out at:

www.sonicwind.com