Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Feb 2004, 16:24 (Ref:884151)   #1
The Darkness
Racer

The Darkness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's Happening to Hughes?

We all know that Warren hasn't got a drive with MG any more so will he stay with the BTCC to get another drive or move on to other things?

:confused:
Old 24 Feb 2004, 16:42 (Ref:884171)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think this weeks autosport said he was 'looking at options' - I think these are pretty much outside the BTCC for this year though. He's leaving it a bit late though, there can't be that many worthwhile drives available now - maybe go abroad?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 18:57 (Ref:884288)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I fear it may be a year twiddling his thumbs, with the odd one off drive here and there.

All the funded/paid drives are filled regardless of the series, the only teams with seats available (of any sort) at this stage of the year are looking for funded drivers and sponsors.IMO.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 24 Feb 2004 at 18:59.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 21:11 (Ref:884486)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
do the 'paid' drives seem wasted though, when you've got people like hughes needing a drive?
Old 24 Feb 2004, 22:12 (Ref:884569)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
do the 'paid' drives seem wasted though, when you've got people like hughes needing a drive?
I would agree with you there. There are so many good drivers not in seats this year, and why because of paying drivers.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 22:46 (Ref:884613)   #6
the king
Rookie

the king should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you are wrong there. The seats wouldn't be there in the first place if it wasn't for paying drivers. Without Luke Hines, Tom Chilton, C B-H, Paul Wallace, Colin T, Jason Hughes and all the others paying (or bringing sponsorship) for the seats, there wouldn't be a championship worth supporting.

What a championship - 2 VX's, 2 Seats, 2 Protons & 1 MG.
Old 25 Feb 2004, 11:11 (Ref:885082)   #7
The Darkness
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by the king
you are wrong there. The seats wouldn't be there in the first place if it wasn't for paying drivers. Without Luke Hines, Tom Chilton, C B-H, Paul Wallace, Colin T, Jason Hughes and all the others paying (or bringing sponsorship) for the seats, there wouldn't be a championship worth supporting.

What a championship - 2 VX's, 2 Seats, 2 Protons & 1 MG.
Not a very big grid though!
Old 25 Feb 2004, 11:29 (Ref:885110)   #8
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alan gow seems sure of 25 car grids for 04, so i suspect that we wont lose so many drivers such as leslie, bennett, and hughes.

Its not like these paying drivers are bad, so what are we whining about? they'll all talented drivers.

isnt jason hughes going to run an independent mg, how is he a paying driver?

bottom line is its not possible for every driver to be 'paid' regardless of the series, just look at people like Mark Webber and Alonso in F1 - big talent who started with self funded drives at minardi.
Old 25 Feb 2004, 18:10 (Ref:885392)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jason Hughes is being run privately by WSR I believe, or with assistance from.

Money's money at the end of the day, it either comes from manufacturers or sponsors which surely wouldn't back the series if it didn't give a good return.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 12:30 (Ref:886180)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree that Warren will struggle to get a drive this year, unless he's willing to race for free. It's an unfortunate situation but not something we can do anything about. Most of the drivers in the series (in every series outside of F1 in fact) have to bring some amount of funding these days - F3000 is perhaps the worst affected.

I don't think Leslie, Bennett or the like will be able to get drives. The 25 entries will mostly include drivers bringing funding, such as those named.
Old 26 Feb 2004, 13:08 (Ref:886238)   #11
The Darkness
Racer

I think racing for free is the last thing on his mind. who would?
Old 28 Feb 2004, 08:23 (Ref:888030)   #12
fantasytoca
Racer

fantasytoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Darkness
I think racing for free is the last thing on his mind. who would?
Erm - any of those drivers who have to struggle, haggle and beg to raise sponsorship to get a drive at all.

I'm sure some great drivers like Gavin Pyper, many drivers in the Independents (and loads more in the support races) would happily race for free.

Last edited by fantasytoca; 28 Feb 2004 at 08:24.
Old 28 Feb 2004, 17:16 (Ref:888304)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Warren has actually flattered to deceive in the past couple of years,

If I think of MG performances it's Turkington and Reid who stick in the mind.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 15:23 (Ref:889212)   #14
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember Hughes has only had 2 full BTCC seasons. It's fair to say he's done better than someone like O'Neill, and achieved more than after their 2 years in a top works team. He has always managed to match his team-mates during the season.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 19:49 (Ref:889365)   #15
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Warrens luck was always worse than good... for example when he got taken out in the big accident that claimed Rob Collard. He had that steering/suspension failure on the last lap at Brands, to name but two!. His commital, I believe, was no less than that of either Colin or Anthony.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 21:34 (Ref:889461)   #16
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes he has had some bad luck, Kelvin - are you referring to Brands round 3 where he hit O'Neill at the final corner (through no fault of his own)? And then the new rules for qualifying meant he had no chance a good result in round 4 due to starting at the back!