Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Jan 2007, 06:01 (Ref:1829187)   #1
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Rondeau M379/382 and 482 specs.

I'd like to know if anyone can find any specs on these cars(lengh, width, height, weight, wheelbase, construction type, etc.). I can find just about anything else that I'm interested in, except for these cars.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 10:17 (Ref:1829282)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought I might be able to help you with this, but I can't.............

There was a lot of info doing the rounds two or three years back because the 25th Anniversary of Rondeau's 1980 Le Mans win was looming. The president of 'l'Association Jean Rondeau', Thierry Rondel, wanted to bring all 17 Rondeau's back to Le Mans to mark the anniversary (although only a handful actually made it). At the time, 'l'Association Jean Rondeau' had it's own website dedicated to all things Jean Rondeau. If memory serves me right, all the information you are looking for was on there. Unfortunately, the site (http://site.voila.fr/jeanrondeau) appears to no longer exist.

I'll leave an article (in French, but with some nice photo's) which was published prior to the reunion for you anyway, just in case there are any clues there to help you find the information you're looking for.

I'll leave the thread here for the time being. If there's no response, I'll move it across for those very learned people in Motorsport History to take up your challenge!
Old 30 Jan 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1829677)   #3
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the article, but it doesn't offer much help-I can't read/speak much French, and Google's translator sucks. But there are other better ones. But I doubt that if offers much technical info other than the engine-which I already know about. You might have to show the Motorsport History guys this thread.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1829695)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
You might have to show the Motorsport History guys this thread.
Done!
Old 31 Jan 2007, 08:47 (Ref:1829966)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can we help Chernaudi here, and at the same time develop a chassis history? You knew I'd say that, didn't you?
Old 31 Jan 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1829993)   #6
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
AMICALEMANS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a link (in french ! sorry but it is a french brand ! )

http://forums.motorlegend.com/vb/sho...t=27250&page=2
Old 31 Jan 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1829998)   #7
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
And some others (still in french !)

http://site.voila.fr/assojeanrondeau/
or
http://www.endurance-info.com/module...002d2d12372255
Old 31 Jan 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1830495)   #8
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
At the time, 'l'Association Jean Rondeau' had it's own website dedicated to all things Jean Rondeau. If memory serves me right, all the information you are looking for was on there. Unfortunately, the site (http://site.voila.fr/jeanrondeau) appears to no longer exist.
I looked this up on archive.org and it's this site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMICALEMANS
Old 31 Jan 2007, 20:36 (Ref:1830557)   #9
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Thanks, but do you think that a translator over the internet would work with this stuff if I copy and paste the text? I hardly know any French(and never really used the French lessons that I took in high school).
Old 2 Feb 2007, 09:19 (Ref:1831652)   #10
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found out that M482 specs are readily available on a book I have, I'll scan them asap...
Old 2 Feb 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1831745)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Better to type the specs out and quote the source; otherwise we'll have to worry about copyright issues.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 05:14 (Ref:1832354)   #12
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
That's right-all I really want is the specs(if there are any). I have a lot of 379/382 pics-and I can find a lot of 482 photos-I tried a couple of days ago. The specs are the most important things to me now in this topic.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1832559)   #13
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big article on the M379 in Echappement Sep 1979
Old 3 Feb 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1832809)   #14
AMICALEMANS
Racer

France
The first thing to know is that each chassis was upgraded each year with new designation sometimes ! (like Courage cars or WR cars)

For example the M378 of 1978 in Le mans became a M379 in 1979 but it was the same chassis / car

all Rondeau were very reliable each at Le Mans.

You have to know that the last M379 seen at Le Mans (the Lombardi Boom boom car) did the race 9 times !
Old 4 Feb 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1833192)   #15
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
d-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi there

is this any help?

Rondeau M379B 1980
alloy monocoque
front & rear suspension both wishbone
engine stressed with hewland gearbox
flat bottom body

engine Cosworth DFV
90 degree alloy block 3 litre,32 valve double overhead cam V8 with fuel injection(approx 480hp) prepared by Heini Mader

Rondeau M482 1982
alloy monocoque
suspension-wishbone front/rocker arm rear
engine stressed with hewland gearbox
ground effect body(designed by Max Sardou who designed the Lola T600)

engine Cosworth DFL
90 degree alloy block 3.95 litre 32 valve double overhead cam V8 with fuel injection(approx 550hp)

Rondeau M378 (first car)built with machined rather than welded chassis parts & bodied with a body from the G.R.P. Inaltera master
most other parts copied from Inaltera(unballasted weight 760kg)
one engine from Cosworth,other from Heini Mader (ex Inaltera)

M382 chassis same as predecessors but with M482 inboard rear suspension & brakes & a longer tail

1988 Le Mans
car 151
Rondeau M379(chassis M379 80 06)
engine-Heini Mader Cosworth DFV 32 valve 3 litre V8
chassis-tubular spaceframe
body-epoxy polyester
tyres-Avon
wheels-Gotti 13''
brakes-AP
shock absorbers-Bilstein
clutch-AP
lubricants-Castrol
gearbox-Hewland 5 speed
engine management-Lucas Injection
weight-799kg
(car finished 3rd in 1980)

(all info from Super Sports book & Le Mans 1988 book)

hope this is what your wanted

d-b
Old 5 Feb 2007, 07:07 (Ref:1833679)   #16
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
That's pretty much what I wanted, but it says that the '80 LM winner was a monocoque, where as the '88 car(which finished 3rd in '80) was a space frame chassis. Which statement is true?
Old 7 Feb 2007, 08:41 (Ref:1835187)   #17
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M482 main dimensions (mm.):

lenght 4670
width 1960
wheelbase 2600
front track 1410
rear track 1550
weight 820 kgs.

source: Ian Briggs-Endurance Racing 1982-1991
Old 1 Nov 2007, 11:06 (Ref:2056743)   #18
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
On Ultimate Car Page, it says that the Inaltera GTP had a space frame chasis.

But do all Rondeaus use a space frame, or did later cars use a monocoque, or is it a monocouqe with a space frame to attach the power unit?
Old 1 Nov 2007, 11:21 (Ref:2056768)   #19
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
On Ultimate Car Page, it says that the Inaltera GTP had a space frame chasis.

But do all Rondeaus use a space frame, or did later cars use a monocoque, or is it a monocouqe with a space frame to attach the power unit?
Like I wrote in my article, it is a spaceframe with aluminum reinforcements, much like the late 1960s Ferrari F1 cars. A spaceframe disguised as a monocoque. The engine was fully stressed. The M482 did have a proper monocoque.