Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Feb 2024, 13:14 (Ref:4197433)   #1776
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
What % do you think the Hybrid accounts for on a season of racing?
just 6%

(on the basis that hybrid costs just under 30k and a season is around 500k then thats just 6% of the budget so is obviously not the issue)

as another poster here reminded people everything is more expensive now
Old 20 Feb 2024, 13:16 (Ref:4197435)   #1777
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD View Post
Look at the country at the moment man everything is more expensive! Houses/mortgages, food, energy and insurance or is hybrid to blame for all that as well? It's the way things are at the moment, things are more expensive than they were.

Some people are struggling to pay bills and others are struggling to pay the required price to go racing. That's the top and bottom of it.

Be for or against hybrid but to suggest it's the reason that certain drivers (the ones who usually struggle for sponsors) aren't on the grid is daft.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 13:37 (Ref:4197440)   #1778
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Exactly nobody has the divine right to be in BTCC especially when they lurk around at the back with little evidence of improvement. Fair play for having a go but when it is time to move on just move on without crying about costs etc The cream always rises to the top
Old 20 Feb 2024, 17:31 (Ref:4197478)   #1779
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=billy bleach;4197440]Exactly nobody has the divine right to be in BTCC especially when they lurk around at the back with little evidence of improvement. Fair play for having a go but when it is time to move on just move on without crying about costs etc The cream always rises to the top[/QUOTE

Despite everyone seemingly thinking it’s doom and gloom let’s not forget that we do have 1 team in particular on the grid who have 2 fully professional drivers and another semi professional driver. Shows it can be done still.
Old 20 Feb 2024, 21:30 (Ref:4197503)   #1780
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
As expected, JEdwards has launched her '10 for 10' fundraiser. Looking for 10 companies at £10K each. "I have a seat on offer, with a great team and car. This will be my final chance of being on the BTCC grid in 2024"

Form an orderly queue
Old 21 Feb 2024, 06:08 (Ref:4197557)   #1781
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
As expected, JEdwards has launched her '10 for 10' fundraiser. Looking for 10 companies at £10K each. "I have a seat on offer, with a great team and car. This will be my final chance of being on the BTCC grid in 2024"

Form an orderly queue
100K for A BTCC Seat? Seems cheap….
Old 21 Feb 2024, 06:37 (Ref:4197561)   #1782
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps she already has the other £250k from existing sponsors?
Old 21 Feb 2024, 06:48 (Ref:4197562)   #1783
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Perhaps she already has the other £250k from existing sponsors?
350k for a BTCC Seat ? Seems good value
Old 21 Feb 2024, 07:29 (Ref:4197564)   #1784
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's never as simple as just saying £XXX for a seat. Every deal will be different, and within that deal there are many ways it can be structured.

There are so many factors that can be broken down in different ways:
Damage costs
Tyres / consumable costs
Insurance(s)
Hospitality access
etc..

All that can be derived from what Jade is currently doing is that a seat is still available for her to drive, but she is trying to get more funds to support her entry.

She might already have enough funds to secure the seat, but wants to put together a package with sponsors getting hospitality.
She might need a partial boost to her funds to make the deal work.
She might be looking for a way to make a bit of income for herself from any deal.

To take the amount of sponsorship she is openly campaigning for, and correlate that to any indication of a cost for a drive in the BTCC is a fool's errand.
Old 21 Feb 2024, 07:31 (Ref:4197565)   #1785
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

Form an orderly queue
No chance of that happening. Just a load of "oh if I could help you I would, but I can't" replies from Joe Public, who the post is clearly not aimed at.
Old 21 Feb 2024, 08:16 (Ref:4197568)   #1786
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We assume the seat is the last one at PMR. If so they have a title sponsor in place and this is in order to top up the budget . If so it’s a good opportunity, too good for her to overlook. Reliable car, Good team mate to judge or be judged by and only a max 6 others competing for the JST. Let’s see if theirs an appetite to keep a girl on the grid . I know others are more disparaging but the way I see it is she’s more often mid grid than at the back falling off on her own . This is especially so when it’s wet and slippery . Also too often she is either driven into or sorted out by others which has cost her big time . Maybe it’s a male pride thing ! . Even if you discount this the alternative is another pay driver or no driver at all . Besides I just love a good underdog who is prepared to try .
Old 21 Feb 2024, 08:21 (Ref:4197569)   #1787
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonman View Post
We assume the seat is the last one at PMR. If so they have a title sponsor in place and this is in order to top up the budget . If so it’s a good opportunity, too good for her to overlook. Reliable car, Good team mate to judge or be judged by and only a max 6 others competing for the JST. Let’s see if theirs an appetite to keep a girl on the grid . I know others are more disparaging but the way I see it is she’s more often mid grid than at the back falling off on her own . This is especially so when it’s wet and slippery . Also too often she is either driven into or sorted out by others which has cost her big time . Maybe it’s a male pride thing ! . Even if you discount this the alternative is another pay driver or no driver at all . Besides I just love a good underdog who is prepared to try .
Mid grid? She’s scored 2 championship points in 3 seasons…
Old 21 Feb 2024, 08:38 (Ref:4197574)   #1788
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
Wow
Old 21 Feb 2024, 09:35 (Ref:4197583)   #1789
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
This is pretty much the gist of the issue, speaking to people who should know. Yes the global socio-economic situation isn't helping, but the difference between say 2016 and today is that the performance parameters are so equal, to have an advantage and be successful takes so much more investment. Arguably this is what has ultimately killed off the smaller entries and led to larger teams running multiple cars or satellite operations.

I would be surprised if there isn't a regulation tweak for 2025/26. A cost-cap type solution as a potential or rule-set tweaks. Hybrid won't be going anywhere, whether it is liked or not, the sustainability messaging is key to the survival of motor sport, especially at BTCC level and above.
There is a cost cap of sorts in place already, there are limits on quantity of engines, brake pads, etc that can be used through a season.
Old 21 Feb 2024, 09:50 (Ref:4197585)   #1790
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
It is worse than that - its actually -3 points

Looking at full season entries;
In 2021 on Hamilton was behind her in the standings
In 2022 tied with Osborne and Hamilton was behind
In 2023 Only driver to contest all rounds and score 0 points. Halsted scored 10pts before his penalty.
Old 21 Feb 2024, 11:09 (Ref:4197591)   #1791
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Confirmation of One Motorsport’s departure.

https://onemotorsport.co.uk/one-moto...-btcc-in-2024/

Intent on returning with the Civics next year.

From Autosport: “At face value that leaves a reduction to 21 cars for this season for the BTCC, but sources have suggested that one of the existing teams is working on a deal whereby it could wheel out an additional car, potentially to be run by a satellite operation. BTCC insiders are also not ruling out more of the Team Hard Cupra Leons, in addition to those acquired by Restart, being mopped up for a programme in 2024.”
Old 21 Feb 2024, 11:30 (Ref:4197592)   #1792
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the same way Team Dynamics were going to be back in 2024. Who's going to be paying for this development work on a platform that's going to be 7 years old at the start of 2025?

I know BTC had the newest Civics, but even they are four years old now with the exception of the chassis Moffat used last year which was new for Shedden in 2022.

In terms of cars on the grid, I'm sure most of the current teams would be happy to run additional chassis, but only if/when the right money comes along, which is the problem.
Old 21 Feb 2024, 11:35 (Ref:4197593)   #1793
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
In the same way Team Dynamics were going to be back in 2024. Who's going to be paying for this development work on a platform that's going to be 7 years old at the start of 2025?

I know BTC had the newest Civics, but even they are four years old now with the exception of the chassis Moffat used last year which was new for Shedden in 2022.
Yes, I’m not really holding out too much hope. Sabbaticals in the BTCC tend to be permanent more often that not!
Old 21 Feb 2024, 11:36 (Ref:4197594)   #1794
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
21 cars will be perfect at Brands Indy.
Old 21 Feb 2024, 11:38 (Ref:4197595)   #1795
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could understand taking a year out to develop a new car , but it felt like the Civics had become a bit of a dead end platform that they realistically weren't going to get more out of.

Would also be curious to see who would run the Leon's given 2 were in the hands of the finance company and looked in rough shape on RacecarsDirect.
Old 21 Feb 2024, 11:41 (Ref:4197596)   #1796
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember reading Marcus Simmons in Autosport in his feature with Alliance/NAPA mentioning (I don't know whether it was joking, or serious) that the development on the car for 2023 had seen a redesign of almost every outer panel to the point that it was close to a new homologation (I'm guessing there was a bit of humour there) at quite a cost.

I also remember a piece about the hybrid at WSR (Autosport or Racecar Engineering) where they developed a number of installations for cooling/balance that other teams didn't have the ability to do in an attempt to get it just right (reading between the lines seemed to suggest most teams would have one option then have to stick with it.)

And in the current Touring Car mag Ingram talks about there being huge potential for development in the i30 (at a cost,) along with Cook and Edwards talking about how much of a struggle the Dynamics Civic compared to the BTC Civic was last year.

I only point to these as to wonder about the costing. Is there any way to limit development? I know there are plenty of control parts and restrictions, but Adam Weaver did allude to how much of a challenge that side of the BTCC has now become, but is there ay way to make that kind of spending redundant?

The only answer I can think of, and it wouldn't be popular, would be for TOCA to be open and aggressive on a balance of performance across the first five or six rounds of a year so that a theoretical balance for the second half of the year is in place. To an extent it would be subjective, and would anger a lot of people, but would it not discourage the kind of spending advantage that it seems that Alliance/WSR and from what has been suggested Excelr8 appear to have?
Old 21 Feb 2024, 11:43 (Ref:4197597)   #1797
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post
I could understand taking a year out to develop a new car , but it felt like the Civics had become a bit of a dead end platform that they realistically weren't going to get more out of.

Would also be curious to see who would run the Leon's given 2 were in the hands of the finance company and looked in rough shape on RacecarsDirect.
This is what I wonder. Would a team like Graves be in a good position (and I'm not suggesting they are, just merely using then as an example) to run a single Leon and share data and other stuff in partnership with Restart?
Old 21 Feb 2024, 11:53 (Ref:4197598)   #1798
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post

Cupra wise, I think two were for sale, two at Restart, one Carl Boardley owns, so there should be one decent(ish) car still about. Is anyone brave enough to try and salvage the shells for sale or are we looking at Boardley’s + the unaccounted for car maybe?
Old 21 Feb 2024, 11:55 (Ref:4197599)   #1799
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Cupra wise, I think two were for sale, two at Restart, one Carl Boardley owns, so there should be one decent(ish) car still about. Is anyone brave enough to try and salvage the shells for sale or are we looking at Boardley’s + the unaccounted for car maybe?
I'm sure someone pointed out that the shells were no longer for sale, with a suggestion that Restart might have got them at a knockdown price as spares shells?
Old 21 Feb 2024, 12:01 (Ref:4197600)   #1800
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
I think we might be looking at someone trying a 1 car entry with the Boardley car and associated TBL. I think coffinpilot is right and the other cars went to other teams either for parts or spares.