Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 May 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2203773)   #1
Trussers
Rookie

Trussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Audi R10 rear aero

I am sure you guys (and girls) have seen the pictures on DSC of Audi's tail section that they tried out at Spa in advance of Le Mans, but it is an additional wing element, way down low, parallel to the main wing, about 10cm above the rear deck. This implies to me that they want additional downforce. Now to me, additional downforce always comes at the expense of drag, so Audi must have enough, if not more than enough, horsepower, wouldn't you agree? Normally, higher speed call for less downforce at Le Mans. Although it may be that by using this configuration they can run less angle on the main element for the same downforce.

Also, has anyone established a definitive reason for Capello's wheel falling off last year? If there has been an official announcement, I've missed it.

(and if you lot have already done the subject to death, please accept my apologies, but I don't have the time to spend all my days on forums - not even ones as good as this!)
Old 16 May 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2203778)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect Mulsanne Mike may have a view on the Audi's aero Paul - for me, anything that slows the darned things down has to be good......
Old 16 May 2008, 08:54 (Ref:2203782)   #3
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought his wheel came off because during the pitstop immediately before the accident, the car was dropped from the jacks before the wheel was fully on.
Old 16 May 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2203783)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was it actually the first lap out?
Old 16 May 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2203790)   #5
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
I thought it was. could have been the second. I was standing on the terraces immediately infront of the audi garage when the accident was shown on the big screen. It was still fairly early (7ish i think) when it happened and i was having a stroll to try and warm up!
Old 16 May 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2203792)   #6
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC the wheel came after 8 laps or something.

Endurance-Info had an article about the "wing". Prémat says it improves stability in braking and in fast corners. According to Ralf Jüttner they now get same downforce with less drag. Iterestingly #2 had a full set of fender louvers in Spa and #1 had minimal louvers, also #2 ran all three LMS races with same engine.
Old 16 May 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2203803)   #7
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83
I thought his wheel came off because during the pitstop immediately before the accident, the car was dropped from the jacks before the wheel was fully on.
you can see the mishap in the official Le Mans 07 DVD... there's an issue with the wheel tightening and the mechanic tries to "repair" the situation with the car on the ground already... unsuccessful as Dindo found out.
Old 16 May 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2203805)   #8
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung
Well it was early in the morning and I'd had no sleep so I'm willing to concede that my sense of time may have become a little confused!!!!
Old 16 May 2008, 09:56 (Ref:2203826)   #9
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
According to Ralf Jüttner they now get same downforce with less drag.
He also says it improves air flow around the wheel, the wing, and the diffuser.
Old 16 May 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2203827)   #10
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trussers, the new rear wing element strikes me as a LMS/ALMS thing only.. As you said this will come with a drag penalty and that's not what you want at LM. And Spa is known as a fairly high downforce circuit. If it behaves in a similar way to these wings on single seater cars then it's mainly there to aid the underbody aerodynamics rather than generate outright downforce itself.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2203829)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83
I thought it was. could have been the second. I was standing on the terraces immediately infront of the audi garage when the accident was shown on the big screen. It was still fairly early (7ish i think) when it happened and i was having a stroll to try and warm up!
Well, well, we were probably standing no more than a few hundred metres apart then - at the most........ I was having a stroll too - not to warm up - simply to stay awake!
Old 16 May 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2203836)   #12
zac510
Veteran

Was just looking atthe pic on EI again - I noticed the area above the particulate filter has been cut out. I've never noticed that before?
Is it a change that goes with the deck wing immediately above it?
Old 16 May 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2203862)   #13
Trussers
Rookie

Trussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cor blimey... less than two hours since I posed the question and 11 answers already. Don't any of you have jobs to do?

Zac, I would agree that it looks a bit like LMS only modification, but for Juttner being quoted as saying: "a small development towards Le Mans in our rear bodywork section." Maybe stability / driveability is indeed the answer. As for the hole in the rear deck, I think you're right, it goes with the wing element.

As for the 2007 #2 lost wheel - there needs to be a correction of some of the points made above. In fact Capello was on his 15th lap on that set of wheels before the wheel came off. He had been out for 49 minutes (including a fuel-only stop), so I fail to see how it can have been due to the car being dropped off the jacks too early. Although it was the second time that it had happened (dropping the car too early), so maybe it was a contributing factor.

I will also admit that some of my colleagues on RLM went a bit overboard at the time in their reaction to the initial Audi statement that the wheel had been affixed correctly, and that some other failure had caused Capello's crash.

Partly I was being mischievous in asking the question, as I know how these myths get perpetuated, but I have been met with a stony silence on the subject whenever I have tried to get an answer through "official" Audi channels (which I have to say are usually very co-operative).
Old 16 May 2008, 10:49 (Ref:2203864)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Endurance-Info had an article about the "wing". Prémat says it improves stability in braking and in fast corners. According to Ralf Jüttner they now get same downforce with less drag. Iterestingly #2 had a full set of fender louvers in Spa and #1 had minimal louvers, also #2 ran all three LMS races with same engine.
Seems to let them run the main wing flap at less angle as you wouldn't expect Audi to run more drag at a place like Spa (and it's been explained as part of a Le Mans update).
Old 16 May 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2203873)   #15
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trussers
Zac, I would agree that it looks a bit like LMS only modification, but for Juttner being quoted as saying: "a small development towards Le Mans in our rear bodywork section."
Can't really argue with that then!
Old 16 May 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2203910)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I suspect Mulsanne Mike may have a view on the Audi's aero Paul - for me, anything that slows the darned things down has to be good......
Like Mike Rockenfeller you mean ?
Old 16 May 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2203911)   #17
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or the wall at Tetre Rouge!
Old 16 May 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2203912)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You mean Tertre Rouge Mike..........
Old 16 May 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2204024)   #19
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a le mans modification, for sure. They will have used spa to sort their le mans aero, surely? I'd guess that we'll see little or no louvres at le mans, or maybe a split (again). if they say it has same downforce for less drag, who are we to disagree?
Old 16 May 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2204043)   #20
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
It's a le mans modification, for sure. They will have used spa to sort their le mans aero, surely? I'd guess that we'll see little or no louvres at le mans, or maybe a split (again). if they say it has same downforce for less drag, who are we to disagree?
Pretty sure the regulations regarding louvers is still on the books so they most certainly will have some semblance of louverage on the car at Le Mans.
Old 16 May 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2204054)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
You mean Tertre Rouge Mike..........
The very man himself .

I suppose your perfect Audi squad would be Rockenfeller-Biela-Gounon !!!
Old 16 May 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2204058)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
But Le Mans is usually about low downforce ?

Maybe its an LMS/ALMS mod ?
Old 16 May 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2204089)   #23
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
But Le Mans is usually about low downforce ?

Maybe its an LMS/ALMS mod ?
Read what has been said earlier in the thread- less drag, same downforce, better high speed corner stability.
Old 17 May 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2204491)   #24
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
What I'm wondering about is how they'd get the rear deck off the car with that wing attacted to it and the main wing struts.
Old 17 May 2008, 02:52 (Ref:2204494)   #25
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
What I'm wondering about is how they'd get the rear deck off the car with that wing attacted to it and the main wing struts.
Its not attached to the center (main) wing struts. It is slotted (formed) around them.

L.P.