Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 6 Jan 2009, 03:51 (Ref:2366054)   #76
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
gotta admire the initiative though....
Old 7 Jan 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2366997)   #77
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
A Blast from the Past

Phil Jefferies in the "Rattari" at Harewood in 1987.

Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2368303)   #78
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson

Phil Jefferies in the "Rattari" at Harewood in 1987.

So thats where he went when he left Guernsey
Old 17 Jan 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2373502)   #79
A. Mudge
Rookie

Guernsey
Cardiff
A. Mudge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
There seems to be some interest in possibly Hillclimbing Karts, mmmm could we? and I was wondering what is needed for a venue to obtain a Kart License?

As a marshal, I would love to watch Karts take on the hills and so look forward to possibly making it happen.

anyone know the regs???
I used ot Marshal in Guernsey and Watching karts on Le Val Des Terres was awesome, and also in Bouley Bay in Jersey with the likes of Nigel Davis. I think Karting on the Hills in England would bring another spectacle to the hills so therefore appeal to a bigger range of specators.

I echo what Stuart says as I would love to see Karts on the hill. Anyone that can drive a 250cc Kart on a hill that quickly has gotta be mental!! lol Bring em on....
Old 17 Jan 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2373559)   #80
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I enquired about running my kart at Gurston the organisers said no hey could not under MSA regs because the barriers were not the correct height for karts. On reflection this is probably a good thing, can you imagine the bad publigity they would get if a kart went under the barriers? However the fact that they run/ran on Guernsey & Jersey also reflects that in smaller communities the line between safety and competition is a little more lax. At the end of the day I err on the side of 'its the competitors decision' for safety issues like these.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 23:27 (Ref:2373575)   #81
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that karts are highly entertaining on the channel island hills... however we have to remember that these are public highways that are being used so barriers are barely in site, you either hit a tyre wall, a wall, a bank or go flying off into the channel. (ok so slight exaggeration). What I am trying to say is that a hill like The terres in guernsey has a wide margin of error compared to the hills over here on the mainland. I would be scared myself watching a kart go around bottom ess at Shelsley and I doubt that a Kart would make it up Doune.
Yes safety is what officials are there to promote and if it was not safe to have the karts on the hills in the CI then I doubt they would be there. After all for national rounds they are still goverened by the MSA.
As for it being the drivers choice, yes it is their choice to get behind the wheel but also it is then the officials jobs to make sure they are as safe as possible when venturing up the hills.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2373699)   #82
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and as for high barriers, the injuries going under one at speed would be really and truly grisely, so I can understand that completely. (but then that pretty well eliminates bike road racing like in Ireland and such, the TT, but then I think they are bonkers with that stuff anyway)
Old 18 Jan 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2373767)   #83
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgal_2006
I would be scared myself watching a kart go around bottom ess at Shelsley and I doubt that a Kart would make it up Doune.
Pretty certain that Phil Jefferies and Dick Foden took the 250cc Trackstar (aka the Rattari) to Doune in the 1980s and easily made it up the hill!

Old 18 Jan 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2373828)   #84
jo white
Rookie

United Kingdom
oxford
jo white should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Pretty certain that Phil Jefferies and Dick Foden took the 250cc Trackstar (aka the Rattari) to Doune in the 1980s and easily made it up the hill!

They sure did Steve, i think Phil may also have had an excursion
Old 18 Jan 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2373864)   #85
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry not something that I cam remember with on being in my 25th year (yipppeee bday in a few weeks, sorry off topic) and only going into my 4th year of even knowing what hillclimbing is.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2373905)   #86
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgal_2006
Sorry not something that I cam remember with on being in my 25th year (yipppeee bday in a few weeks, sorry off topic) and only going into my 4th year of even knowing what hillclimbing is.
I suppose we could forgive you.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2374060)   #87
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I also remember Phil failing to negotiate Bottom Ess. Truly scary moment. Well for us - he wasn't bothered and was out again the next day!
Old 19 Jan 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2374315)   #88
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I also remember Phil failing to negotiate Bottom Ess. Truly scary moment. Well for us - he wasn't bothered and was out again the next day!
My one abiding memory of the Trackstar was with Dick Foden aboard at Wiscombe. I was up at Sawbench when the thing appeared going backwards as it came out of the last left hander of The Esses. It hit the edge of the track and shot up into the air - still going backwards - and disappeared into the trees. A couple of minutes later Dick came trudging out of the undergrowth dragging the remains of the Trackstar behind him!

Old 19 Jan 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2374466)   #89
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Half of me is impressed, and the other half wished he'd left it there. You had to admire the courage and initiative that went into it - especially with the extra set of trailing wheels - and congratulate them on peddling it so quickly, and yet I never stopped disliking it as an abomination!

I remember standing in the spectator area above the Shelsley start line and hearing someone who hadn't seen it before comment "You too can take your flymo up Shelsley..."
Old 19 Jan 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2374538)   #90
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Half of me is impressed, and the other half wished he'd left it there.

It was back in 1987 and the above is a photo of what it was like after its trip into the undergrowth!

Old 20 Jan 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2375077)   #91
Hitech
Rookie

England
UK, South Staffordshire
Hitech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was repaired and competed later the same day as I recall. Happy days!
Old 20 Jan 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2375093)   #92
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitech
It was repaired and competed later the same day as I recall. Happy days!
Minus a few bits of bodywork if memory serves.

The above taken in 1988 at the same spot!
Old 23 Apr 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2447695)   #93
twisted
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
twisted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we have a few nutters with Busa powered karts here in Australia!!!
I did hillclimb a 250 Superkart so I qualified to call them nutters!
Old 24 Apr 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2448841)   #94
djb
Veteran

i have very clear memories of the very first Canadian GP I went to in I think 79 or 80. Amongst the support races was a 250 superkart one and I clearly remember them going throuogh the right-left corner just after the track goes under a bridge (down the track a bit from where Panis bust his legs up if that helps) and the memory of seeing them four wheel drifting at the exit going out to the wall stays with me---going bloody fast too.

Impressed the hell out of me and my friend, enough to stick in the old noggin all these years later as they were really really not hanging about!!

one wouuld think that any bike powered cart would be just so rear heavy and grossly overpowered. The ones I have seen on youtube seem to fit your "nutter" term....
Old 25 Apr 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2448968)   #95
twisted
Rookie

Australia
South Australia
twisted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes a std 250 twin superkart is the greatest feeling you will get with your clothes on. They handle awsome....add a roll bar that stiffens the chassis
and you create a "pig"of a thing, I know I did it!
Old 13 May 2009, 07:11 (Ref:2461436)   #96
steve88
Rookie

Jersey
steve88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all

Just thought I would clarify the situation with regards karts on hills here in Jersey.

Bouley Bay is a closed public road which is used for hill climbs 4 times a year, it is inspected on a regular basis my the MSA and the club has invested a lot of money in safety over the last few years. Whilst we dont have fixed barriers, we do make the course as safe as it possibly can be for a sport that is by nature dangerous.

We allow karts to run with the approval of the MSA and allow 3 classes, 125 max, 125 gearbox and 250 gearbox. If anyone is interested the regulations are on the club website www.jerseymotorsport.com

We allow youngsters from 16 to enter but I believe that Guernsey allow younger members (not sure of their regulations) and I have to say that all the competitors both male and female are pretty spectacular to watch.
Old 13 May 2009, 07:44 (Ref:2461458)   #97
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a visit to a kart event in Bouley Bay, while on holiday, that got Eddie Jordan started in karting back in the late 1960s. The event certainly has a rich history of karting, that's for sure.
Old 13 May 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2461460)   #98
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
It was a visit to a kart event in Bouley Bay, while on holiday, that got Eddie Jordan started in karting back in the late 1960s. The event certainly has a rich history of karting, that's for sure.
Yes and I believe the verdant grass and luscious foliage encouraged by the sub-tropical climate started his life long interest in having thick and luxuriant hair.
Old 13 May 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2461479)   #99
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Yes and I believe the verdant grass and luscious foliage encouraged by the sub-tropical climate started his life long interest in having thick and luxuriant hair.
God I wish I had hair like his... and I'm nearly 20 years younger than him ! My sister tells me that my thinning is punishment for my Pat Sharpe mullet and other crimes against hair that I committed in the 1980s
Old 13 May 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2461483)   #100
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
God I wish I had hair like his... and I'm nearly 20 years younger than him ! My sister tells me that my thinning is punishment for my Pat Sharpe mullet and other crimes against hair that I committed in the 1980s

Save your pennies Davyboy and I am sure you could afford a syrup like that if needs be. And dont beat yourself up, Mullets werent a crime, just a phase!