Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3220527)   #1
Mike Harvey
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Mike Harvey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington 'new marshals protection system'

Just spotted this little article on the Donington Park web page and thought most people here would be interested.

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...ection-system/

I don't recall seeing this in place when leaving the loop at the end of yesterday, although my mind may have been focusing on a hot bath and Sunday dinner by that point.
I wonder if this will be used on Saturdays 750MC meeting?
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3220562)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
Just spotted this little article on the Donington Park web page and thought most people here would be interested.

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/news...ection-system/

I don't recall seeing this in place when leaving the loop at the end of yesterday, although my mind may have been focusing on a hot bath and Sunday dinner by that point.
I wonder if this will be used on Saturdays 750MC meeting?
The press release reads like it is something for Bike meetings primarily - a removable rather than a permanent structure.

Can't be sure though.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3220563)   #3
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From what (little) I can see of it, my first impression is I'd rather be behind the armco/tyrewall with plenty of space to leg it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
The press release reads like it is something for Bike meetings primarily - a removable rather than a permanent structure.

Can't be sure though.
I thought that at first, but the concrete base isn't exactly biker-friendly...
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3220566)   #4
MartinB
Rookie

United Kingdom
MartinB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

Can't be sure though.
The last line, above the second photo says
"The new marshals post will be a feature at the upcoming, May 26th round of the FIM Superbike World Championship, as well as at all bike and car race meetings held on the GP circuit throughout 2013."

I'm in the sticking to behind the tyres camp on this.

Although having looked at the photos again, it does appear to be in the far left corner (viewed as you approach the haipin), but I wouldn't be certain it's never going to be in the firing line.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3220570)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It does say 'for bike meetings'. I'm not sure I'd want to be inside that with a car coming my way, or in a car that hits it for that matter.

I wonder if anyone's asked the marshals what they'd like?
Old 18 Mar 2013, 14:02 (Ref:3220581)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
It does say 'for bike meetings'. I'm not sure I'd want to be inside that with a car coming my way, or in a car that hits it for that matter.

I wonder if anyone's asked the marshals what they'd like?
Ho ho.

Jim
Old 18 Mar 2013, 14:14 (Ref:3220586)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The photos show the structure tucked away in the corner in what I would guess is a location well away from any 'regular' incident line at the hairpin.

I don't think there is a marshal post with a permanent structure down there is there? Not that side of the track. So I suppose it at least offers some sort of weather and light debris protection where there is none currently.

Mind you I could be wrong about the current structure availability - been a while since I last wandered around there.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3220598)   #8
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not entirely sure how you'd flag from it TBH?

I am with everybody else, barriers and tyres - with room to leg it! Also don't see the point of grouping the marshals together - if a big hit comes takes out more people!

Whose at Doni on 23rd March for 750 - we'll take a look!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3220600)   #9
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love to try and wave a flag through those small holes!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3220601)   #10
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not much point having a tire wall. if you put a concrete wall in front of it!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 14:57 (Ref:3220604)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
That I wouldnt like to hit at speed!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 15:10 (Ref:3220611)   #12
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would seem unlikely that bikes would be happy if this was left without tires/Recticell or similar. It may be a long way back but even so.

Jim
Old 18 Mar 2013, 15:30 (Ref:3220623)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post
Love to try and wave a flag through those small holes!
You'd have to poke a hole in that clear plastic sheeting first!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3220646)   #14
ALFA ALFA
Rookie

ALFA ALFA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always considered myself a 'cage free' Marshal. But at Watkins Glen here in the States they have been using a similar 'back stop/cage like' system for the last dozen years. These are used at most ground level flag positions. They are located behind the armco. A flagger usually stands near the edge of the cage and flags out in the open. The system seen here looks more like a 'safe house', some place to hide out. I don't think it should be placed in front of the tire wall/armco. Where you gonna run? You also have to watch the placement/use of your radio. At least they're trying to make it safer for you.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 16:30 (Ref:3220661)   #15
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite apart from all the other perfectly valid comments above .............. is bright red really a suitable colour????
Old 18 Mar 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3220662)   #16
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great colour for a Marshal protection covering, particularly in the wind. I love to see things nicely thought through.

Edit: moments too slow with the double post!!

Last edited by Steve Fox; 18 Mar 2013 at 16:33. Reason: Posting at the same time as someone else.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3220747)   #17
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had read the promotional narrative without seeing the picture of the monstrocity I would have imagined completely different! They seem to have published this a bit early; it's still a couple of weeks till 1st April!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3220773)   #18
Johansen2000
Racer

England
Leicester
Johansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.spengler.de/index.php?opt...mid=80&lang=en

Direct from the makers.... A mobile marshals post could actually have its uses!!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3220791)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johansen2000 View Post
Direct from the makers.... A mobile marshals post could actually have its uses!!
That confirms my suspicion that it's free-standing. Used as shown in their picture, standing on a smooth tarmac surface, how much of an impact is that going to resist? You'd be safer standing in front of it!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3220863)   #20
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before we all write it off and state how useless it's going to be, let's at least try it. Photos don't always show the true picture (pun intended).
Old 18 Mar 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3220894)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The trouble is, if we try it, then it's fitted. And if it's fitted, then in my experience, we're stuck with it.

The link above seem to show the true picture as the makers intend since that's their advertising pitch. Having seen how far a concrete barrier can move when hit by a V8 Ute, it's not something I fancy standing behind in a big impact. It may have a point on a temporary circuit as additional protection, but as a structure on a permanent circuit, no thanks.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3220897)   #22
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as with all these things ..... context - how, where, when etc etc.

A publicity shot for a website (either a circuit's or even a manufacturer's) doesn't put it into context. If you look at the other motorsport barrier protection systems they manufacture you will actually see that this is really but a bit part of a much wider picture and that this "part" is compatible with their concrete / fencing system and can be expanded using other barrier segments

i.e. standing on its own like this is probably somewhat out of context

Dave
Old 7 Apr 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3230240)   #23
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
I'm told that it has now been moved from in front of the wall.

Jim