Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 Jun 2008, 20:09 (Ref:2224081)   #1
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Inertors?

Hi all,

Was just reading my Pa's paper and I am sure it mentions that the Mclaren used a thing called an Inertor (sp?) in its suspension.

Anyone have the vaguest idea what this is, or have I remembered the name incorrectly? A google search of Mclaren and inertor comes up with nothing.

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 9 Jun 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2224162)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fenland expression ??
Old 9 Jun 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2224193)   #3
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't know about McLaren, but Googling for 'inertor' found the following theoretical discussion:
http://virtual.cvut.cz/courseodl/node9.html.
and
http://virtual.cvut.cz/cemlibmodules...8BubkUVAB.html

But this looks to be a bit more, er, speculative: http://www.dlinevitch.narod.ru/Eng/Vvedenie.htm

John
Old 9 Jun 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2224244)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Nothing new then !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Jun 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2224476)   #5
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not an expert so I may be wrong but I think what they are referring to is the J damper that Mclaren have developed.

It workes in a similar manner to Renaults Mass Damper that was banned in 2006 except in a J Damper the counterweight is part of the suspension as opposed to being an independantly suspended weight.

Interestingly, Mclaren hold a patent on the J Damper but choose not to enforce it despite the fact that everyone in the pitlane apart from Renault has copied it.

The reason Renault didn't copy it was that despite seeing the Mclaren drawings they couldn't understand how it worked and discarded the idea. That is why the FIA choose not to fine them $100M despite Renault being caught with Mclaren's J Damper drawings.

The lack of the J damper may explain why Renault are off the pace and is also why Ferrari are so much better over the kerbs that they were last year.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2224579)   #6
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, its a term for the J-Damper for sure, theres an interesting thread with pics on both McLarens J-damper and Renaults mass damper here..
http://www.speedtv.com/forums/viewthread/225951/

And links to the other types..

Pre Zero Dampers (click)

Mass (zero) Damper (click)

J Damper (click)

From the Ferrari Board (click)

Ferrari Third Damper (click)

Torsion Bar Suspension (click)

K Damper (click)
Old 10 Jun 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2224761)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
Anyone have the vaguest idea what this is, or have I remembered the name incorrectly? A google search of Mclaren and inertor comes up with nothing.
Try 'inertia'!
Old 10 Jun 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2224886)   #8
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, try Inerter.

As stated above, this is the so called J Damper used by McLaren et al. Nice to see another UK invention (seems to be from Malcom Smith at Cambridge Uni), but when will it be applied to road cars? I could do with this to control the pitch on my everyday car on the poor roads we have today. I also know a number of bikers who would appreciate its assistance in eliminating tank slappers.

Duncan
Old 10 Jun 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2224899)   #9
BugEyed
Racer

It would appear that there is an article in Autosport on it this week.

www.autosport.com/journal/article.php/id/1604

However, you need to subscribe to read it - perhaps a subscriber would care to summarise it for us?

Generally, this would seem to be the technical edge that McLaren gaining in 2005 that Ferrari caught up with last year.

Duncan
Old 10 Jun 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2224920)   #10
BugEyed
Racer

As with all of the best ideas it is very simple, yet also very clever. It relates to a spring in the same way that a capacitor relates to an inductor. Here is a diagram of the working of a prototype which works differently to the ones in F1:

The flywheel resists the movement but doesn't dissipate the energy in the way that a damper does. It appears that it is being used to control the effects of tyre sidewall flex in F1

Duncan
Old 10 Jun 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2225031)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugEyed
No, try Inerter.
Looks like a form of inertia damper to me! Citroen 2CV, anybody?
Old 10 Jun 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2225120)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
I always wondered what those lumps of iron were on those froggie motors
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Jun 2008, 06:25 (Ref:2225423)   #13
BugEyed
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Yes, that is exactly what it is with two key differences:
  • It is connected at both ends and therefor doesn't count as a movable aerodynamic device resulting in its being banned like the Renault version
  • It is considerably lighter as it is easier to gear up.