Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Jan 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2374899)   #1
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans trivia (if there is such as thing)

Okay, you Le Mans regulars, I am looking for an answer to the following question. Can you help?

1. When were women first allowed to volunteer as commissaires at Le Mans?

I've only been going since 2004, but I seem to recall a friend who went in the '90s saying she was not permitted to work a poste on Les Hunaudières.

If you've been going for several years, when was the first time you ever saw a female commissaire?

thanks
keke
Old 22 Jan 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2376854)   #2
jph
Rookie

jph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a picture of a very photogenic lady flag marshal taken in, I think, 1982. I've never heard before of the ACO not permitting female flag marshals and I guess that such a ban would not have been legally possible for the last few years at least.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2380618)   #3
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I understand from folks at my poste that Le Mans is the only event in France where women are permitted to volunteer. In 2007 I was given to believe (by a Spanish commissaire) that the matter was before the EU courts.

JPH, do you recall where the photo was taken (what part of the course)? And do you think she was a real marshal? Up until recently commissaires could bring family members and friends right to their stations, and may yet if the chef de poste permits it.

keke
Old 27 Jan 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2380707)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[mod]We have a few 24 hours marshals here on 10-10ths, perhaps this will be better served in Marshals.
I'll move it.[/mod]
Old 27 Jan 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2380844)   #5
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I did my first Le Mans in 1992 and, whilst not being very photogenic, I am certainly a "Lady" (or at least of the female persuasion)! And Bill marshalled with ladies at Pau in 1989/90.

I do know that later on in the '90s I discovered to my disgust that only men could marshal at Monaco - is this maybe causing a misunderstanding as to who was/is allowed to marshal where in France - is it really just a Monte Carlo thing?

When our French Chef de Post told me in '92 that "as a woman you will not go onto the track", Bill tried to explain this attitude away by stating "After all, Monsieur Chauvin - he was a Frenchman".

C'est la vie, n'est ce pas?

Last edited by Shelagh; 27 Jan 2009 at 18:41.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2380908)   #6
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think this can be the case at le man as the person in charge of the marshals is a women . i am sure the wife of are current cheif on post 70 marshalled at le man on post 31 in the late 80 early ninetys
Old 28 Jan 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2381616)   #7
TimtheHose
Rookie

England
Swaffham, Norfolk
TimtheHose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1992 and 1993, myself , and my then girlfriend were on Poste 40 bis, as course marshals, and iirc there had been female marshals on that post in the preceding year also

HTH

Tim
Old 28 Jan 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2381722)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I have a picture of a very photogenic lady flag marshal
well lets see it...

I can't fully believe that there would have been a restriction.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 20:57 (Ref:2383372)   #9
JonT
Rookie

United Kingdom
Copthorne West Sussex
JonT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not aware that there has been a restriction on female marshals in France. In my time marshalling in France since the early 1980s there have always been female marshals, more than in the UK. I first went to Pau to marshal in 1984 and our observer was Eliane and she still marshals at Pau and at Le Mans.

JonT
Old 31 Jan 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2383376)   #10
JonT
Rookie

United Kingdom
Copthorne West Sussex
JonT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And at Monaco last year I understand that there was the first female marshal working trackside, on the startline. In previous years all marshals were male, with no long hair, pony tails (no chance for the Race Gypsy) and all had to undergo training and a fitness test to measure press-ups, pulse recovery and so on.

JonT
Old 3 Feb 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2387721)   #11
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonT
And at Monaco last year I understand that there was the first female marshal working trackside, on the startline. In previous years all marshals were male, with no long hair, pony tails (no chance for the Race Gypsy) and all had to undergo training and a fitness test to measure press-ups, pulse recovery and so on.

JonT
Ah, but I did it back in'76, before my hair was grown up!

...and I vowed never to do it again.