Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Apr 2024, 15:38 (Ref:4206660)   #51
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DeLeon was quick but that car doesn’t look like it’s nailed together properly, not only was the splitter dragging and the window falling out but it was belching black smoke out way more than anyone else and his radio wasn’t working. Wonder if it’ll be reliable tomorrow.
Old 27 Apr 2024, 15:41 (Ref:4206661)   #52
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahobson98 View Post
Fair play to DeLeon, P9 on the grid - cracking drive after zero testing.
Big surprise car looks good and is on par with the other cupra’s which are also competitive. With its new paint job it looks good but low budget is still visible . Would be great if in time they establish themselves and perhaps add a second car . Well done young man
Old 27 Apr 2024, 15:43 (Ref:4206663)   #53
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
DeLeon was quick but that car doesn’t look like it’s nailed together properly, not only was the splitter dragging and the window falling out but it was belching black smoke out way more than anyone else and his radio wasn’t working. Wonder if it’ll be reliable tomorrow.
Oh don't. It reminds me of the days of JP being rapid in his SEAT León but then hampered by unreliability!

Anyone made any jokes yet about DeLeon in a León? A tongue twister for Tim and David?
Old 27 Apr 2024, 15:48 (Ref:4206664)   #54
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, very happy to see Ingram on top!

Nice to see a more jumbled grid (even if the weather did play a role). Excellent from Pearson and didn’t expect the top Toyota to be Watson (even if Huff didn’t make it). And no-one expected DeLeon to be 9th, especially with the Cupra falling apart!

Hard to judge from just one round but personally I think four sessions is one too many, especially when a red flag delays things (about 1:30 overall today feels a bit much) - the six at the end didn’t really change things although Ingram vs Sutton in the last few minutes was good. Should work well at the short lap at Brands.

Last edited by Evantra; 27 Apr 2024 at 15:58.
Old 27 Apr 2024, 15:56 (Ref:4206665)   #55
TinTopGrumpy
Rookie

TinTopGrumpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really enjoyed that new format. Lots going on and it should only get better when the mixed hybrid comes in for the next round.

Interesting that there wasn't a single update on the BTCC Facebook page during quali when they usually post all the way through.
Old 27 Apr 2024, 15:57 (Ref:4206666)   #56
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Great effort from him, just hope for his sake the team give him a solid car. It didn't look very complete or secure.

Alliance looked a organisational mess for both DanCam and Rowbo. All learning points I am sure and conditions looked tricky. At least they got out, unlike Huff.

Didn't take long for the traditional cut to Halstead in the weeds.

Shame for Jake with the lockup but I guess you have to put it all on the line at the end with the new format, hardly surprising to see Ingram and Sutton out on top
Old 27 Apr 2024, 16:29 (Ref:4206669)   #57
Protonman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTopGrumpy View Post
Really enjoyed that new format. Lots going on and it should only get better when the mixed hybrid comes in for the next round.

Interesting that there wasn't a single update on the BTCC Facebook page during quali when they usually post all the way through.
Really enjoyed that . Snetterton is only 30 mins away from me but I can’t make race days due to Sunday commitments. However with that will cough up £20 for Saturday . With the other practice sessions and at least 3 support races which include the Porsches that’s good value for money . More relaxed pace also means can view from various places on the track . As pointed out by others Snetterton has a long lap time but multiple places to enjoy .
Old 27 Apr 2024, 19:21 (Ref:4206679)   #58
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm aware that I do have a tendency to not appreciate change, and I must admit that I didn't enjoy the new qualifying procedure. It felt too bitty, and didn't have a natural feel to it, which was made worse, for me, because Huff was stopped from joining in because of regulation that really has no point; what difference does it make if the car was inside the garage or just outside when the session started? If the wheels had been on, the team could have pushed it outside and continued working on it, much in the same way that a team can work on a car if it comes in to the pits during qualification. It's a rule for a rules sake; and I would be saying the same no matter who the driver was, as I have no feelings one way or the other about Huff.

I also felt that a 10 minute session did potentially give the BMW boys a slight advantage, although because of the changing conditions in session 1, that was nullified somewhat. That advantage may be amplified somewhat at the longer circuits, such as the two GP tracks, plus Snetterton ,Croft and Oulton. That it didn't beat Ingram and Sutton is a testament to those two, but I do think that it may well come into play later this season.
Old 27 Apr 2024, 19:56 (Ref:4206685)   #59
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched qualifying on YouTube in the hotel, came across quite well. Watching it live at the track however was very different. Dull as dishwater on a freezing day.
It might pick up across the year (I don't think it will), but with only 20 cars with that format it was truly, truly painful watching it live in person.
Would have worked brilliantly with a 32 car grid, but it seems to be totally made for TV .

That final six car session was possibly the drabbest touring car session I've ever seen. but was okay on TV......
Old 27 Apr 2024, 20:12 (Ref:4206686)   #60
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally didn’t enjoy the new format, it felt a bit to bitty not helped by the red flag and changeable conditions in Group 1 Q1. A 10 minute session where the first 5 minutes are essentially meaningless with tyre warm ups/crossovers seems a waste of time. Also found it extremely unfair on those that didn’t make the cut out of group 1 as they qualified in the damp and those in group 2 didn’t. The difference in starting 13th or 20th is quite significant.

However it probably served it’s purpose by jumbling up the grid a little and adding abit of extra pressure on teams/drivers.
Old 27 Apr 2024, 22:16 (Ref:4206696)   #61
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hated the new qualifying. Used to get a full grid of cars fighting it out, now with a massively reduced grid it is unbelievably split in 2 and gradually whittled down to 6. Awful for those watching at the track. A huge step backwards, but the BTCC needs gimmicks to survive.
Old 27 Apr 2024, 22:56 (Ref:4206699)   #62
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Just watched qualifying on YouTube in the hotel, came across quite well. Watching it live at the track however was very different. Dull as dishwater on a freezing day.
It might pick up across the year (I don't think it will), but with only 20 cars with that format it was truly, truly painful watching it live in person.
Would have worked brilliantly with a 32 car grid, but it seems to be totally made for TV.
The TV audience would have been slightly higher than the maybe 2,500 people watching at the track.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 05:12 (Ref:4206710)   #63
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Nightmare. Was there any word on why that is?
It would seem unlike everyone else they did read the rules properly
Old 28 Apr 2024, 05:41 (Ref:4206714)   #64
AJD
Rookie

AJD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a lot of people adverse to change mind isn't there!!! First session of the year let's not write it off just yet. That qualifying session might have provided us with a mixed starting grid that gives us with a great race. We will soon find out!

If it mixes it up on a regular basis it's a good move for me. I'll sacrifice seeing everyone on the track at once if it stops one team dominating every qualifying session.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 06:31 (Ref:4206717)   #65
Protonman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD View Post
There's a lot of people adverse to change mind isn't there!!! First session of the year let's not write it off just yet. That qualifying session might have provided us with a mixed starting grid that gives us with a great race. We will soon find out!

If it mixes it up on a regular basis it's a good move for me. I'll sacrifice seeing everyone on the track at once if it stops one team dominating every qualifying session.
I expressed my thoughts earlier and thought the new format was great as it added a little jeopardy if you were not thinking on your feet or as in yesterday the weather intervened . If we used the usual format yesterday everyone would have been sitting around waiting for the rain to clear which exites no one. Given that they now share similar grid sizes and multi car teams they could have tried the F1 format which gives more track time but it’s unfair on the small teams who drop out in Q1 . Also those who know they have speed are tempted to take in easy and just do enough until they reach Q3. No system is perfect but this does the trick of shaking things up a little.Also as hinted by the commentary team yesterday the field was equal but in future we have the hybrid penalties to factor in. Be interesting to see what happens then.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 06:34 (Ref:4206718)   #66
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I thought it was overcomplicated nonsense, and you certainly don't need two qualifying groups with 20 cars. If they need a change at all, they might as well just replicate the F1 knockout system and run Q1, Q2 and Q3 as 10 Min sessions with 10 cars left going for pole.

Sent from my SM-T736B using Tapatalk
Old 28 Apr 2024, 07:14 (Ref:4206722)   #67
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
The TV audience would have been slightly higher than the maybe 2,500 people watching at the track.
32k views on YouTube I think.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 07:15 (Ref:4206723)   #68
Jamie Brown
Rookie

Jamie Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I thought it was overcomplicated nonsense, and you certainly don't need two qualifying groups with 20 cars. If they need a change at all, they might as well just replicate the F1 knockout system and run Q1, Q2 and Q3 as 10 Min sessions with 10 cars left going for pole.

Sent from my SM-T736B using Tapatalk

I was also not convinced by the new format. Felt bitty. And it would be better with a 28-32 car grid like some of said.

I definitely agree with you an F1 style knockout session where all 20 cars start and get reduced to 10 would be so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 Apr 2024, 07:45 (Ref:4206727)   #69
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I loved the new format. Genuinely exciting with drivers having little margin for error.

Watching qualifying trackside is always pretty uninteresting imo, which is why most people just attend raceday. On TV it worked better than than the standard 30 minute session.

And it's mixed up the grid which will be great for raceday whether you're trackside, tiktok or TV!
Old 28 Apr 2024, 07:59 (Ref:4206729)   #70
TinTopGrumpy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
Also found it extremely unfair on those that didn’t make the cut out of group 1 as they qualified in the damp and those in group 2 didn’t.
Why is it unfair? It's not done on times over the two sessions it's done on position.

EDIT: Misread the post. It was about 7th down not the top six. My excuse is I've been reading comments on social media for the last hour from people who have absolutely no clue about how the grid is formed they've all blurred into one. Time for a coffee (or three).

Last edited by TinTopGrumpy; 28 Apr 2024 at 08:17.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 08:06 (Ref:4206730)   #71
AJD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTopGrumpy View Post
Why is it unfair? It's not done on times over the two sessions it's done on position.
Exactly, bizzare comment. Everyone in the qualifying group is qualifying in the same conditions.

Much like hybrid I think far too many people are quick to dismiss it. Give it a chance to evolve and see where we get too.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 08:10 (Ref:4206731)   #72
AJD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Brown View Post
I was also not convinced by the new format. Felt bitty. And it would be better with a 28-32 car grid like some of said.

I definitely agree with you an F1 style knockout session where all 20 cars start and get reduced to 10 would be so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that the F1 style could work well. I also think that they've chosen the way they have to still be different from that F1 style.

If that's the correct decision time will tell but as a first outing in this style I thought it wasn't too bad.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 08:12 (Ref:4206732)   #73
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Start delayed

Another circuit inspection due at 10am
Old 28 Apr 2024, 08:13 (Ref:4206733)   #74
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcas87 View Post
Start delayed

Another circuit inspection due at 10am
Someone is saying no track action until ‘after lunch’
Old 28 Apr 2024, 08:14 (Ref:4206734)   #75
TinTopGrumpy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJD View Post
Exactly, bizzare comment. Everyone in the qualifying group is qualifying in the same conditions.

Much like hybrid I think far too many people are quick to dismiss it. Give it a chance to evolve and see where we get too.
I misread his post. He means the people finishing outside of the top six in each position where time does become a factor.

Luck of the draw in the end. It will balance out over a season I would think.