Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jul 2023, 19:46 (Ref:4169213)   #226
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Hot on the heels of handing over direct management of the F1 team to Bruno Famin, Rossi has now left the Alpine building completely.

Maybe that weird rant about the team has lead to doubts about his capacity generally?
Old 21 Jul 2023, 09:37 (Ref:4169273)   #227
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, he had built a good team up, but has seemed to have lost credibility lately. First with the whole Piastri situation last year, and earlier this year having a go at his own team. No wonder he's being moved aside. They obviously feel he's not being constructive with help towards his own team
Old 23 Jul 2023, 15:15 (Ref:4169551)   #228
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... who's to blame for the demolition derby display this weekend in Hungary?
Surely there will need to be a scapegoat..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Jul 2023, 15:33 (Ref:4169554)   #229
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Nik DeVries
Old 23 Jul 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4169557)   #230
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

That's got to be Zhou Guanyu, who punted Danny Ric from behind, which triggered a chain reaction that took out both Alpines.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 17:34 (Ref:4169761)   #231
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's got to be Zhou Guanyu, who punted Danny Ric from behind, which triggered a chain reaction that took out both Alpines.
Regardless of the blame, it's still Alpine +0pts, McLaren +28pts.

Alpine's new floor at Spa will need to bring Alpine into podium contention like McLaren if Alpine intend to have any chance to meet their goal of P4 in the WCC (they will also need to overhaul either Ferrari or Aston Martin to get there).

Quote:
We have to get one step closer to our goal of winning a championship in 100 races. We have to continue [in fourth place], but get closer to third place. So we have to be closer to third place than fifth. So even if we stay fourth, we have to make progress.
- Szafnauer
https://www.planetf1.com/news/alpine...-championship/

Alpine currently is in the sixth place...

Although:
Quote:
And our goal now is to make sure that even if we don’t end up in fourth at the end, because of the points disparity, that we can be the fourth-fastest team.
- Szafnauer
https://www.racefans.net/2023/07/22/...xth-in-points/

What's wrong with Szafnauer? Doesn't he see, as per McLaren or Aston Martin, that you need to be the second fastest team (at times) to score enough points to finish top 5 in the WCC?! This "new goal" seems like a cop out...

Scoring at a rate of 28-30pts per Grand Prix like McLaren will easily propel Alpine into the top four in the WCC. That's all Alpine need to do. "How hard can it be?"

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 24 Jul 2023 at 17:42.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 17:39 (Ref:4169763)   #232
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Indeed.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 17:46 (Ref:4169764)   #233
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Indeed.
Don't Grand Prix teams make their own luck? Qualifying at the front like rival McLaren's P3-P4 start usually (but not always) reduces risk of incident. That's all Alpine need to do consistently.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 18:03 (Ref:4169772)   #234
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
That's all Alpine need to do consistently.
a growing theme from me after this past race apparently lol (there were a few moments of team mates finding themselves running in order this past race and none of the teams seemed to handle that situation well)...but i think regardless of where their drivers end up qualifying they are too evenly matched, probably not great co workers with one another, and will ultimately spend too much of their time trying to beat the other one rather than trying to collectively move their team up the grid.

a team without a leader imo!
Old 24 Jul 2023, 20:36 (Ref:4169791)   #235
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Don't Grand Prix teams make their own luck? Qualifying at the front like rival McLaren's P3-P4 start usually (but not always) reduces risk of incident. That's all Alpine need to do consistently.
Exactly. Do a better job on track and it's less likely they'd be in a position for what happened on Sunday to happen.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 21:27 (Ref:4169801)   #236
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
What's wrong with Szafnauer? Doesn't he see, as per McLaren or Aston Martin, that you need to be the second fastest team (at times) to score enough points to finish top 5 in the WCC?! This "new goal" seems like a cop out...

Scoring at a rate of 28-30pts per Grand Prix like McLaren will easily propel Alpine into the top four in the WCC. That's all Alpine need to do. "How hard can it be?"
From my perspective Alpine's priority is to stop the DNFs and score some points so that my fantasy team can drag itself out of the trash can.

Quote:
I know I am preaching to the choir here, but while watching the race this weekend and seeing the first corner issues for Alpine, I immediately thought... That is the problems you have when you qualify so deep into the grid. First corner on lap one is risky for everyone, but it is much more risky for those on the back end of the grid. You get that big accordion effect and it mostly a question of who is going to come in hot and who are they going to hit (or any other scenario with so many cars at one place and one time that causes damage).

Richard
Old 24 Jul 2023, 21:42 (Ref:4169804)   #237
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
That is the problems you have when you qualify so deep into the grid. First corner on lap one is risky for everyone, but it is much more risky for those on the back end of the grid. You get that big accordion effect and it mostly a question of who is going to come in hot and who are they going to hit (or any other scenario with so many cars at one place and one time that causes damage).
Was going to say that, although the car that caused the shunt qualified P5.
Old 25 Jul 2023, 15:38 (Ref:4169904)   #238
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I think regardless of where their drivers end up qualifying they are too evenly matched, probably not great co workers with one another, and will ultimately spend too much of their time trying to beat the other one rather than trying to collectively move their team up the grid.a team without a leader imo!
Agreed.
Old 25 Jul 2023, 21:31 (Ref:4169943)   #239
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Are both drivers locked in for nect year?
There hasn't been the 'agg' between them that a lot of people expected but neither are tearing up trees are they?
Old 26 Jul 2023, 18:28 (Ref:4170047)   #240
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Are both drivers locked in for next year?
Theorically yes, both contracts ending at the end of 2024. As you say the honeymoon didn't last for long. If ever it existed between those two.
Old 27 Jul 2023, 00:08 (Ref:4170068)   #241
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Regardless of the blame, it's still Alpine +0pts, McLaren +28pts.

Exactly.
If McLaren can score 58 points in two races, exactly double the 29 they had scored in total this year before that, then anyone can do it, eh Szafnauer?

It can't be that hard.
Ocon won the Hungarian GP in the past.
He even Beat Alonso.
Spa and Monza should be no problem for him and Gasly.
A couple of 1st and 2nd's and Bob's your uncle.
Old 27 Jul 2023, 03:56 (Ref:4170080)   #242
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isnt Alpine a Philip Morris brand...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Jul 2023, 13:24 (Ref:4170249)   #243
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crikey.... a big shake up at Alpine effective Monday.... Szafnauer, Permane and Fry all gone.
https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/s...10214024208384

Ottmar by mutual agreement according to autosport
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/sz...boss/10501134/
Old 28 Jul 2023, 13:29 (Ref:4170251)   #244
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Always fire people on a Friday they say but surely they could have waited til after the GP/summer break to announce?
Old 28 Jul 2023, 13:39 (Ref:4170254)   #245
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Always fire people on a Friday they say but surely they could have waited til after the GP/summer break to announce?
Maybe they felt they just couldn't wait. Or the news was going to potentially break on it's own. And it makes sense to announce now than just after the race as it allows it to somewhat be moderated by other potential Spa related news items.

Richard
Old 28 Jul 2023, 13:40 (Ref:4170255)   #246
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Crikey.... a big shake up at Alpine effective Monday.... Szafnauer, Permane and Fry all gone.
https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/s...10214024208384

Ottmar by mutual agreement according to autosport
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/sz...boss/10501134/
Bloomin' eck!
Old 28 Jul 2023, 13:46 (Ref:4170256)   #247
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well the break starts Monday! Otmar is still representing the team this weekend. So much for the 100 races to get it right time scale Otmar was given.

Otmar will be replaced on an interim basis by Bruno Famin, who was named earlier this month in the newly created role of VP of Alpine Motorsport.

Permane has been with the team through all its various identities over 34 years when he first joined Benetton! He is leaving 'during the break'

He will be replaced Alpine Academy director Julian Rouse, again on an interim basis.

Chief technical officer Pat Fry is set the leave to join Williams in a similar role by the end of this year. This might have already been known and is perhaps not a part of this latest Alpine shuffle of the pack.

Last edited by E.B; 28 Jul 2023 at 14:01.
Old 28 Jul 2023, 13:55 (Ref:4170258)   #248
peebee2
Veteran

Otto has been a dead man walking. I’m convinced he only got the job as he brought BWT.
Old 28 Jul 2023, 14:50 (Ref:4170266)   #249
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Otto has been a dead man walking. I’m convinced he only got the job as he brought BWT.
would also guess the failure to retain Piastri played a part as well?

seemed like Otmar really dropped the ball on that one!
Old 28 Jul 2023, 15:07 (Ref:4170271)   #250
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Maybe they felt they just couldn't wait. Or the news was going to potentially break on it's own. And it makes sense to announce now than just after the race as it allows it to somewhat be moderated by other potential Spa related news items.

Richard
or they wanted the attention of announcing during a GP weekend?

cynical on my part but with new investors on board, and going by their previous forays into sports ownership and the TV show that goes with it, this all makes for a very provocative first episode?!?