Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Aug 2022, 07:41 (Ref:4123701)   #201
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If Ricciardo does return to Alpine, wonder what bet he will make with Rossi or Otmar?
Old 26 Aug 2022, 07:44 (Ref:4123703)   #202
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If Ricciardo does return to Alpine, wonder what bet he will make with Rossi or Krack?
Yes - it would be interesting to see.
Old 26 Aug 2022, 15:20 (Ref:4123777)   #203
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
off topic but from that article:

“Those comments that I read, they were sad to read. I’ve been doing my thing always. Flavio had been coming to some races but as you may know, with all the deals he has with Stefano and F1 and paddock club, but not related to me.”

All the deals???

was not aware that F1/FOM was still doing business with Flavour Flav?

had not read about this before but cant say im surprised. anyways, love the Alonso truth bombs!
Old 26 Jun 2023, 07:44 (Ref:4165493)   #204
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
First Wrexham, now Alpine

Is Rossi hoping this will give Alpine a massive PR boost?

24% of Alpine/Renault F1 team being sold off to a consortium including Ryan Reynolds.
Old 26 Jun 2023, 07:54 (Ref:4165496)   #205
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
This? https://fr.motorsport.com/f1/news/al...uros/10487758/
Old 26 Jun 2023, 08:10 (Ref:4165499)   #206
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes, values the team around £700m.
Old 26 Jun 2023, 08:24 (Ref:4165504)   #207
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wrexham's Hollywood owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney join group buying into Alpine F1

'Hollywood actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney are joining an investor group taking a 24 per cent equity stake in Alpine Racing.

The Formula 1 team's parent company Renault announced the move on Monday, with the €200m (£171m) deal valuing British-based Alpine at around £700m following the investment.

Alec Scheiner, the co-founder and partner of Otro Capital, will join Alpine's board of directors.'

There are a lot of connections to the US in this deal.
The obvious link is Netflix, with both D2S and Welcome to Wrexham streaming on that platform. Will Alpine become the most marketed team in F1 now amongst streaming audiences?

With RedBird in the mix, the portfolio of US sports is already large, and this deal surely pushes the focus even more to the American market?
Old 26 Jun 2023, 08:39 (Ref:4165511)   #208
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
crmalcom's questions:"There are a lot of connections to the US in this deal.
The obvious link is Netflix, with both D2S and Welcome to Wrexham streaming on that platform. Will Alpine become the most marketed team in F1 now amongst streaming audiences? With RedBird in the mix, the portfolio of US sports is already large, and this deal surely pushes the focus even more to the American market?"
From this link https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...154066&page=14
Old 26 Jun 2023, 08:46 (Ref:4165512)   #209
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Trying to push the brand over the Pond? https://www.capital.fr/auto/renault-...losive-1472375
https://www.automobile-magazine.fr/v...-si-importante

Renault n'est pas a son premier coup pour la voiture électrique aux USA:https://www.renaultgroup.com/news-on...ue-americaine/
Old 26 Jun 2023, 11:58 (Ref:4165539)   #210
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While 200m for a 24% stake doesn’t include Viry-Chtillon, this is still quite a big increase in an F1 evaluation since the sale of Force India and Williams no?

Probably justified given F1s increasing profile, inflation, and relative to other globally recognized sports teams, but kind of curious where Andretti were on this and why this wasn’t an option for them given that 200m is the same amount as the entry fee and that they were working with Renault?

Anywho, interesting addition for a team that has, imo, struggled with identity for quite some time now.
Old 26 Jun 2023, 12:36 (Ref:4165543)   #211
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
While 200m for a 24% stake doesn’t include Viry-Chtillon, this is still quite a big increase in an F1 evaluation since the sale of Force India and Williams no?
From general searches, it seems that the valuation of F1 teams is very difficult to pin down, particularly if they are part of a wider business profile:

2000 - Minardi - $10m (100% stake)
2005 - Sauber - $79m (63.25% stake of 50m)
2017 - McLaren - £1.8bn (15% stake of 275m)
2020 - Racing Point - £1.08bn (16.7% stake of 182m)
2020 - Williams - £136m (100% stake of 136m)
2023 - Mercedes - £1.2bn (33% stake of 400m)
Old 26 Jun 2023, 14:19 (Ref:4165553)   #212
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The team should have been bought by Chris al-Pine...
Old 26 Jun 2023, 14:21 (Ref:4165554)   #213
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
From general searches, it seems that the valuation of F1 teams is very difficult to pin down, particularly if they are part of a wider business profile
Yep. I dont see how Viry Chatillon which belong to Renault could be separetly sold. Is all this inspired by the football model? Waiting for a mercato where drivers can be sold or rented or may be a leasing with buy-back option?
Old 26 Jun 2023, 17:32 (Ref:4165568)   #214
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
From general searches, it seems that the valuation of F1 teams is very difficult to pin down, particularly if they are part of a wider business profile:

Williams really sold out for way too little money!
Old 26 Jun 2023, 18:18 (Ref:4165580)   #215
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
That figure is (roughly) what the Williams shareholders received after the debts were paid by Dorilton.
Old 26 Jun 2023, 18:30 (Ref:4165584)   #216
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In hindsight yes. And I have to wonder if anyone else was in the running and offering more than Dorilton? Was Dorilton the best deal that Williams could find at that time?

If I remember correctly, the Dorilton deal was happening right at around the time the new Concorde agreement was being signed. And that the agreement had been delayed, so I assume remaining detail of that agreeement were being worked out maybe around the time the final details of the purchase of Williams was. The implication is that the minimum value of $200M was almost, but just not quite yet in place. Looking back now, if the Williams family could have held on a bit longer and then seen how the value of a team (any team) would skyrocket, they should have been able to sell for more than $200M. But it seems that Williams was grasping for straws to remain in the sport at that time and was a distressed seller. In the end Dorilton got a fantastic deal.

As to those historic values, you would have to think that there is a value placed on the F1 entry (now at a minimum of $200M and probably should be much more) and then the value of other assets. If we are to believe the information coming from James Vowles (internal Williams infrastructure is way behind other teams and requires significant CapEx to modernize) then you can imagine why others were more highly valued.

Richard
Old 26 Jun 2023, 19:18 (Ref:4165595)   #217
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
for sure, but still hard to imagine debt repayment and/or their aged infrastructure coming anywhere near to reducing their value by several hundred million dollars?

but more so, doesnt make much sense that F1 teams dont seem to be valued at very much more than the Ottawa Senators, a mid to low level NHL hockey team that Reynolds and co were looking to buy an equity stake in earlier this year but apparently pulled out because that was too expensive.

not a great analogy mind you given that while an NHL team (and its arena) may be worth more than an F1 team, an F1 team is no doubt significantly far more expensive to fund/maintain on an annual basis which i would think bears out in the purchase price of one.

anywho, as Canadian i must say i am very happy we have another Canadian in the owners' box!
Old 27 Jun 2023, 10:08 (Ref:4165653)   #218
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I think you missed a couple:

2005 - Jaguar - $1 (100% stake)
2009 - Brawn - $1 (100% stake)

I can't remember how much debt Jagaur F1 was carrying when Ford sold it to Red Bull but I guess it was considerable.

Meanwhile, Honda not only sold the team for $1, they paid for the running costs for the 2009 season too IIRC.

There's also:

2006 - Spyker $106.6m USD (100%)
2007 - Force India $118m USD (100%)

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 27 Jun 2023 at 10:15.
Old 27 Jun 2023, 10:11 (Ref:4165654)   #219
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Merged two threads covering the same ground.
Old 27 Jun 2023, 10:20 (Ref:4165655)   #220
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't think Alpine will upset the applecart too much in their own team. They actually have a good team of people, so need to change much, but a bit of extra funding is always welcome! They've certainly done quite alright under this guise, even if they haven't quite made it yet
Old 27 Jun 2023, 10:28 (Ref:4165660)   #221
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is it a front gif the Andretti Worldwide group
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jun 2023, 14:28 (Ref:4165681)   #222
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don't think Alpine will upset the applecart too much in their own team. They actually have a good team of people, so need to change much, but a bit of extra funding is always welcome! They've certainly done quite alright under this guise, even if they haven't quite made it yet
Interesting view of the situation, particularly in light of Rossi's recent comments.

"It's an industry that has been doing more or less the same thing for so long that it's become a norm that it takes that much time to get there. It's true for everything. It's true for road cars. We are trying to change things here. But for that you need to put yourself in a bit of a tricky situation, an uncomfortable situation. If you do that, it works. I guess they've [Aston Martin] done it in a more radical way, put themselves in a more uncomfortable situation, to break some barriers, to change a little bit the way they were doing it."

Perhaps Alpine are ready to 'upset the applecart' internally. Or, are they admitting that they are sticking to the same 100-race (now 120-race) plan?
Old 2 Jul 2023, 07:31 (Ref:4166241)   #223
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The part to see though is the 24% but seems to only be for the f1 team, and not the engine factory. Is this Renault attempting an exit as a team, and going back to engine supply only
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Jul 2023, 08:57 (Ref:4166260)   #224
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'd regard that as illogical,given how much the values and revenues of teams has increased in the last year or two.I could be mistaken in believing that it has been a case of taking some of the profit while it was feasible to do so.
Old 2 Jul 2023, 12:32 (Ref:4166279)   #225
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I'd regard that as illogical,given how much the values and revenues of teams has increased in the last year or two.I could be mistaken in believing that it has been a case of taking some of the profit while it was feasible to do so.

I agree. 24% is significant but far from controlling. Depends if there is any shareholder agreement in place, or what the Articles of Association (or equivalent) state regarding share options as to the likelyhood of the new shareholders gaining control.