Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Dec 2020, 16:12 (Ref:4023457)   #1
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

So Tennis open in Australia put back already. Must put Opening GP in Aus in doubt .....Australian Government insisting on 2 weeks quarantine- easy for a tennis player not so easy for an F1 Team....
Old 17 Dec 2020, 19:23 (Ref:4023474)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
So Tennis open in Australia put back already. Must put Opening GP in Aus in doubt .....Australian Government insisting on 2 weeks quarantine- easy for a tennis player not so easy for an F1 Team....
Easy may be the wrong word. Easier maybe.... but living restricted to the confines of your hotel room for 2 weeks is not an easy challenge to anyone.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 09:07 (Ref:4023568)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I've said it before. Melbourne won't happen.

I'm waiting for a Sepang (or Kyalami!) announcement for a replacement
Old 18 Dec 2020, 09:24 (Ref:4023572)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just have it as the last race like the old days. It worked before and it would work again
Old 18 Dec 2020, 10:47 (Ref:4023589)   #5
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I've said it before. Melbourne won't happen.

I'm waiting for a Sepang (or Kyalami!) announcement for a replacement
No way on earth South Africa could afford F1.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 15:02 (Ref:4023660)   #6
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sepang would be great, always had very good races
Old 18 Dec 2020, 15:06 (Ref:4023662)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No doubt we now know FOM can handle the logistics of a Covid season but surely it is still too early to return to a pre covid type schedule.

Wait untill the teams are eligible for their vaccine shots before scheduling the farthest of the fly aways.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 15:15 (Ref:4023674)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Sepang would be great, always had very good races

It was great while it lasted, but unfortunately the locals weren’t interested enough and the lack of atmosphere let it down a bit
Old 18 Dec 2020, 15:32 (Ref:4023688)   #9
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I would love to have Sepang back. The race there in 2012 was one of my favourite Grands Prix of all time.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 15:34 (Ref:4023690)   #10
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Don't forget they're also looking for somewhere to replace Vietnam (listed as TBA or TBD in the 2021 calendar).
Old 18 Dec 2020, 15:51 (Ref:4023699)   #11
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just have it as the last race like the old days. It worked before and it would work again
Not a chance Abu Dhabi pay too much for privilege.....
Old 18 Dec 2020, 16:31 (Ref:4023710)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
No way on earth South Africa could afford F1.
I'm not entirely certain Portugal or Imola could afford it this year, but they got a race.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 16:56 (Ref:4023718)   #13
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm not entirely certain Portugal or Imola could afford it this year, but they got a race.
That's because F1 needed to have 17 (if I'm not mistaken) races to fulfil its contractual obligations with broadcasters and tracks in Europe offered a safe option. Next year's different, unless major lockdown happens again.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 17:01 (Ref:4023722)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
That's because F1 needed to have 17 (if I'm not mistaken) races to fulfil its contractual obligations with broadcasters and tracks in Europe offered a safe option. Next year's different, unless major lockdown happens again.
Yes indeed, but I took the proposal to run in SA to be on the basis that another year of covid would necessitate "emergency" measures. If all is normal of course I'd expect the business model to revert and places like SA etc. won't get a look in.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 17:12 (Ref:4023730)   #15
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It was great while it lasted, but unfortunately the locals weren’t interested enough and the lack of atmosphere let it down a bit
It's not like there's much atmosphere in Sochi, Bahrain or Abu Dhabi
Old 18 Dec 2020, 17:55 (Ref:4023738)   #16
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
To clarify, not the Australian Government - it is the Victorian Government that sets the health quarantine arrangements as both the Tennis and GP are in Melbourne (capital of Victoria). Given that the Vic Govt caused the massive (by Oz standards) 2nd wave of Covid by not running hotel quarantine for returned international travellers competently, it is going OTT on any similar measures and requirements just now.

There are also public support implications, with many complaining that if Australian citizens are not able to come home as quickly as they'd like (there are numbers caps on how many can enter the country each week) then no international sports people should be given priority over Oz citizens.

Then there's the volunteer officials - it was announced a couple of weeks ago that all those working in pit lane and paddock area would have to be in quarantine for three weeks (1 week before the event, 2 weeks after) and there are (less clear) requirements for other officials too apparently. Those that I know have said that they simply can't take that amount of time off work.

So - unlikely, yeah that's the way it looks now - particularly as the country has border restrictions between the states again as a result of a small cluster in Sydney (28 cases as I write) and those border closures were announced and put in place on the same day. That means that any planning can be thrown into disarray with virtually no notice and as many officials at the Grand Prix come from interstate, that adds further risk to the event.

Unless some kind of bubble exemption is put in place for the event (political suicide possibly for the Vic Govt) then it's hard to see it happening from where we stand today.

Apologies for the long post.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 19:13 (Ref:4023760)   #17
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
2021 for me is all about the teammate battles!

Leclerc V Sainz
Norris V Danny
Max V Perez
Vettel V Stroll
Schumacher V Mazepin
Alonso V Ocon
Gasly V Tsunoda

This is make or break time for a lot of careers

Add into this Russell chomping at the bit for Valterris seat....I’m not sure I can remember a season where it’s been so important to beat your teammate!
Old 18 Dec 2020, 19:33 (Ref:4023766)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well, apart from Alonso, Mazepin and Max, I like all the others so it'll be difficult to watch. But yes, many good team mate competitions to watch in 2021.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 01:11 (Ref:4023807)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes indeed, but I took the proposal to run in SA to be on the basis that another year of covid would necessitate "emergency" measures. If all is normal of course I'd expect the business model to revert and places like SA etc. won't get a look in.
On that basis it would be a wonderful venue, they will break 100 000 spectators without a problem.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 06:59 (Ref:4023829)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
On that basis it would be a wonderful venue, they will break 100 000 spectators without a problem.
I don't doubt it but they'd still have to pay to hold it. This year, I understand Imola, Portugal and Mugello, were subsidised by Liberty M.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 08:37 (Ref:4023845)   #21
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
To clarify, not the Australian Government - it is the Victorian Government that sets the health quarantine arrangements as both the Tennis and GP are in Melbourne (capital of Victoria). Given that the Vic Govt caused the massive (by Oz standards) 2nd wave of Covid by not running hotel quarantine for returned international travellers competently, it is going OTT on any similar measures and requirements just now.

There are also public support implications, with many complaining that if Australian citizens are not able to come home as quickly as they'd like (there are numbers caps on how many can enter the country each week) then no international sports people should be given priority over Oz citizens.

Then there's the volunteer officials - it was announced a couple of weeks ago that all those working in pit lane and paddock area would have to be in quarantine for three weeks (1 week before the event, 2 weeks after) and there are (less clear) requirements for other officials too apparently. Those that I know have said that they simply can't take that amount of time off work.

So - unlikely, yeah that's the way it looks now - particularly as the country has border restrictions between the states again as a result of a small cluster in Sydney (28 cases as I write) and those border closures were announced and put in place on the same day. That means that any planning can be thrown into disarray with virtually no notice and as many officials at the Grand Prix come from interstate, that adds further risk to the event.

Unless some kind of bubble exemption is put in place for the event (political suicide possibly for the Vic Govt) then it's hard to see it happening from where we stand today.

Apologies for the long post.
Yes, It has all gone to hell over the last 24 hours and I too think it spells the death of the 2021 race. We have not seen our Grand Children for over 12 months and yesterday they arrived to stay for a week, this morning they went back to QLD via car as we could not get them on a plane before the border closed and being unaccompanied by a parent that was going to cause all sorts of issues if they had to go into quarantine and a 12 hour car trip was a better option than the problems that quarantine would have caused. I think it would be political suicide for the VIC government to allow the race to happen, there are still too many family separations that are far more important than a car race.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 09:27 (Ref:4023853)   #22
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Don't forget they're also looking for somewhere to replace Vietnam (listed as TBA or TBD in the 2021 calendar).
Specifically mentioned for those were the likes of the 2020 stand ins, Portimao, Imola Mugello.... but as Peter mentioned I dont think they could/would be paying the going rate, and would look at a provided venue rather than a full on spectator event with sanctioning fees

Re Australia Victoria has just listed no incoming, and 14 day quarantines from parts of NSW who are currently suffering a spike in infections. Cant see the overseas dropping of quarantine short term, certainly not before a satisfactory full vaccine programme has happened
Old 19 Dec 2020, 10:50 (Ref:4023868)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Stand in races will not pay the 'going rate' if Libbo are dead set on 23 rounds!

There's only so many venues with the grade 1 licence that can be brought in as replacements so it will be done on a deal basis.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 13:28 (Ref:4023901)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

For me the calendar should be quality, not quantity. This past season showed you could manage with only 17 races, even if they had to improvise somewhat and no doubt showed how important the more traditional venues are.
Old 20 Dec 2020, 08:35 (Ref:4024070)   #25
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
2021 for me is all about the teammate battles!

Leclerc V Sainz
Norris V Danny
Max V Perez
Vettel V Stroll
Schumacher V Mazepin
Alonso V Ocon
Gasly V Tsunoda

This is make or break time for a lot of careers

Add into this Russell chomping at the bit for Valterris seat....I’m not sure I can remember a season where it’s been so important to beat your teammate!

Agreed, especially how the first three in the list will turn out. Does add quite a bit to the season.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.