Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Feb 2021, 20:43 (Ref:4033111)   #1
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Big Changes at the House of Eights

888 changes announced today:

J-Dub retiring from full-time driver in 2022 to become 88 Team Principal and Managing Director.

Roland stepping down as boss.

Tony Quinn buys a chunky stake of 888.

Who will replace J-Dub - there'll be a heap of "look at me" moments from drivers over the coming months no doubt.

J-Dub considering co-drive but nothing decided yet. Personally think that could be a mistake if he's running the team.

Q & A on the changes at 888.

Big news, although it has kinda been hinted at for some time. I guess after as many titles as Jamie has won, there's an element of "what's next?" going to enter his thinking. Having Quinnie on board is a very big deal IMHO - he's very successful, very clever as a businessperson and cuts through the bull very effectively.
Old 2 Feb 2021, 20:46 (Ref:4033113)   #2
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's all terribly curious indeed!
Old 2 Feb 2021, 23:16 (Ref:4033137)   #3
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it cynical of me to think this announcement was ready to go, but they waited until Energy Drink competitor Monster revealed their livery and then flooded the news markets with the various stories to drown out the livery reveal?
Old 3 Feb 2021, 00:21 (Ref:4033140)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Is it cynical of me to think this announcement was ready to go, but they waited until Energy Drink competitor Monster revealed their livery and then flooded the news markets with the various stories to drown out the livery reveal?
Or maybe T8 wanted to get their own livery reveal, new sponsors announcements and Bathurst lineup done and dusted prior to releasing today's news.....
Old 3 Feb 2021, 05:12 (Ref:4033158)   #5
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think when Jamie retires, that will be it no co-driving duties in Supercars, maybe a slim chance of a Bathurst 12 hour drive.
Old 3 Feb 2021, 06:00 (Ref:4033162)   #6
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
I think when Jamie retires, ...maybe a slim chance of a Bathurst 12 hour drive.
I'd reckon it was more maybe dabble as a team to run a car?
Old 3 Feb 2021, 07:16 (Ref:4033165)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
I think when Jamie retires, that will be it no co-driving duties in Supercars, maybe a slim chance of a Bathurst 12 hour drive.
Difficult to be chief cook & bottle washer, and drive the team bus at the same time. Question also sits around his Bathurst copilot and whether he returns after this season... rust catches up with everyone eventually...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Feb 2021, 21:11 (Ref:4033329)   #8
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Difficult to be chief cook & bottle washer, and drive the team bus at the same time. Question also sits around his Bathurst copilot and whether he returns after this season... rust catches up with everyone eventually...

Also odd that Jess is doing TV for the opposition
Old 4 Feb 2021, 02:16 (Ref:4033348)   #9
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another in a long list of canny moves from Mr Dane.

Must admit I had been expecting a more prominent role for Roland's daughter - the soon-to-be lawyer Jess.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 4 Feb 2021, 05:06 (Ref:4033355)   #10
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were Miles and Dumbrell asked to sell their shares, or was it voluntary?

I thought Roland's bestie The Dude might have got a slice of the action.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Feb 2021, 05:10 (Ref:4033356)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
Were Miles and Dumbrell asked to sell their shares, or was it voluntary?

I thought Roland's bestie The Dude might have got a slice of the action.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
It would be difficult to consider Mr Morris a passive investor...
Old 4 Feb 2021, 06:52 (Ref:4033362)   #12
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice little marketing ploy by 888, lot's of extra dollars in Jdub merchandise sales, imagine the queue for autographs at each round and more publicity for the team at each round from various media outlets.
$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 24 Dec 2021, 02:34 (Ref:4091147)   #13
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More changes: Roland Dane sells remaining Triple Eight shares

Does anybody buy the spin that RD will just go cold turkey and stop politicking behind the scenes?

Last edited by Jack65; 24 Dec 2021 at 02:56.
Old 24 Dec 2021, 03:10 (Ref:4091150)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post

Does anybody buy the spin that RD will just go cold turkey and stop politicking behind the scenes?
The Dane family, in the name of Jessica, still hold 30% of the shares though. RD is still non-exec Chairman of T888, and will no doubt have little snippets of 'advice' he will throw in even if the words come out of Jess or JDub's mouth
Old 24 Dec 2021, 04:54 (Ref:4091158)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Dane built the bloody thing why shouldnt he hang around if he chooses to?
Old 24 Dec 2021, 05:14 (Ref:4091159)   #16
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Is it going cold turkey if he winds up as Seamers replacement?
Old 24 Dec 2021, 06:36 (Ref:4091161)   #17
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea of the money changing hands ?
Old 24 Dec 2021, 07:55 (Ref:4091162)   #18
Jack65
Racer

Quote:
Mr Dane built the bloody thing why shouldnt he hang around if he chooses to?
Dane is well within his rights to stick around as he sees fit. But he does like being a kingmaker, and I don't buy that he is going to just quietly slip away and stop pushing his pet projects behind the scenes. Same thing happened when Adrian Burgess was appointed team principal, with Dane stating he would take a less hands on role, but he never really did.
Old 24 Dec 2021, 22:11 (Ref:4091242)   #19
Kingair
Veteran

Perhaps RD might go an sell Tupperware?
Old 24 Dec 2021, 23:59 (Ref:4091250)   #20
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT's in Europe?

Running the Brabham GT?
Old 25 Dec 2021, 01:02 (Ref:4091252)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He owns a lot more than just a race team.

He won't be sitting around doing nothing.
Old 25 Dec 2021, 06:41 (Ref:4091274)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Dane is well within his rights to stick around as he sees fit. But he does like being a kingmaker, and I don't buy that he is going to just quietly slip away and stop pushing his pet projects behind the scenes. Same thing happened when Adrian Burgess was appointed team principal, with Dane stating he would take a less hands on role, but he never really did.
While Mr Burgess left the team anyway..

Everyone wants to run a business until they actually get in there and have one to take over and control. To suggest Mr Whincup’s automotive ventures are a solid learning location forgers that the worst that can happen in that world is a car needs to be rewashed… whereas the new world, the cars can set slow, sponsors can wobble or leave and the winning might just slow to a stop.

While that might be the preference for some observers, I would prefer they bust a kafoofle valve every time they are on track and beyond, and keep seeing not winning as failure, and be as hungry as ever to be the very best team on the grid, every single time..
Old 26 Dec 2021, 00:42 (Ref:4091322)   #23
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
While Mr Burgess left the team anyway..
and now the Fox is in charge of the Hen House, bit like when Harry Firth jumped/pushed/left the HDT and moved over to CAMS.
Old 26 Dec 2021, 02:04 (Ref:4091329)   #24
Jack65
Racer

Quote:
While Mr Burgess left the team anyway.
Two and a half years later, during which time Dane didn't really step away from being the figurehead of the team.
Quote:
To suggest Mr Whincup’s automotive ventures are a solid learning location forgers that the worst that can happen in that world is a car needs to be rewashed… whereas the new world, the cars can set slow, sponsors can wobble or leave and the winning might just slow to a stop.
Think everybody, including Whincup himself, acknowledges that the role he is stepping into is far bigger than his other ventures and that he will be on a steep learning curve.
Old 26 Dec 2021, 10:43 (Ref:4091350)   #25
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can see RD being one of those retired blokes who still calls in to the office 4 days a week "in case anyone needs my help".