Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

View Poll Results: 'Snap On', 'Tengtools' or other......?
Snap On 15 78.95%
Tengtools 2 10.53%
Other 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Nov 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1449719)   #1
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
'Snap On', 'Tengtools' or other....?

Which do you have or prefare?
Old 2 Nov 2005, 00:16 (Ref:1449967)   #2
Pink Panther
Rookie

Pink Panther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Snap on for me any day. Apart from the quality, lifetime guarantee when I am building (and re-building !!) my cars its for enjoyment and pleasure too. I just love owning great tools, they feel good look good and do not screw up expensive nut and bolts.

In addition due to the quality of the materials and finishing you will find that the edge distances (wall thickness) on snap on sockets is much less than other manufactures. This is very important when you are trying to get into tight spaces.

Yes they are expensive. but in my opinion are worth every penny.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 02:51 (Ref:1450029)   #3
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree 100% with Pink Panther. I bought almost all my Snap On tools from Ebay secondhand for less than the price of new equivalents from Halfords. For approx 3k GBP, I bought a rollcab, middle chest, top box, welder, around 100 spanners, 30 screwdrivers, torque wrenches, pliers etc etc etc - rrp with Snap On was well over 10k GBP. Aside the fact the Snap On stuff is much better than any other tool, they have a lifetime no-quibble guarantee. I have only had 2 problems with Snap On tools - both ratchets that had seen long and hard lives. The Snap On van came by and repaired both on the spot free of charge. My experience with Teng was not so good - the quality seemed a fair bit lower.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 07:20 (Ref:1450114)   #4
Pink Panther
Rookie

Pink Panther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andydickens
Lucky you, I have had a look and there are some bargins to be had. Recently bought a very nice top box off Ebay. However I bought most of my tools prior to becoming an Ebay junkie, so pretty much paid the going rate and have been buying from dealers for 15 odd years.

Its odd but if you have ever dealt with a snap on dealer, you will now they have been everywhere & done everything and after a while become your best buddy as well (until you stop spending) visiting the van with the RA card kind of becomes a way of life every week. As an apprentice it was a great way of killing an hour as well. At risk of becoming a snap on bore there really is nothing out there to touch them!!

My wife though I had a drug habit, I would tell I was off to see my dealer with a fist full of dollars, I would come back poor and with a smile on my face!!

Took my Daughter on the van the other day and he tried to sell her something " she is only 6!!!"
Old 2 Nov 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1450194)   #5
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snap-on. Theres absolutely no contest what so.

No one matches the quality, and no one matches the support - the track record speaks for itself.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1450257)   #6
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
heel'n'toe-no has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You lot aren't looking for sponsorship money or tools off SNAP ON are you? Bought all of mine in Halfords, who cares if they only last a couple of years.....At that price I would never get to the £3K mark if I had to replace them every 2 years for the rest of my racing days.

For professional technicians, mechanics etc, I agree there is absolutely no comparison. My Techy has snap on stuff and it does look and feeel great..........BTW SNAP ON - Can I have some sponsorship off you too?????.........ha ha ha ha
Old 13 Nov 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1459681)   #7
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
For me, its gotta' be Tengtools. Not only because they are a sponsor of a frined, but I was using a Snap On spanner on a not so tight bolt, and it cracked all the way through, no joking
Old 13 Nov 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1459766)   #8
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Costco Full set for £45.00. Beat that
Old 13 Nov 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1459799)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngoldy
For me, its gotta' be Tengtools. Not only because they are a sponsor of a frined, but I was using a Snap On spanner on a not so tight bolt, and it cracked all the way through, no joking
Take your Snap-On spanner back to where you bought it for a free replacement.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1462409)   #10
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
It wasn't mine! It was at college, was a bolt on a steering wheel (on a MOT failure car which all students work on so if anything breaks, it doesn't matter as it wont ever see the roads again) and some silly sod was working in a group of 3 taking a gearbox out of a fezzy, decided to jack the front of the car up under the engine, and cracked the sump.

Doh!
Old 25 Nov 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1470400)   #11
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snap-on, they feel good in the hand, Teng for me feel cheap, they look cheap and arnt as well finished, they both carry a lifetime garantee, but still snap-on for me. saying that halfords proffessional range is pretty good, spanners are well made and sized as are the socket, the range isnt as big as the snapon range but the price is more pocket worthy. my toolkit is a mix of all sorts, but i dont like the feel of teng or halfords ratchets.

i know its trivial but if teng adopted a smooth shiney finish like snap-off, halfords, clark proffessional etc then they would sell alot more in my mind, they look cheap. like cheapo draper stuff, yack.

snapon for me, but again i see no point in paying a premium for the name over other brands that are just as good and suitable for the job.

snap-on spanner - £10-20
halfords proffesional - £<5

but erm yeh *dribbles over the snapon online shop*

ebays great, as mentioned there are some bargains to be had, but i always feel bad with it, how many of the tools on there have been nicked from garages and lockups......