Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 8 Feb 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2391157)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe just me but I cannot think of a much more unsuitable car than the XJS, its expensive to operate weighs way more than my Chevys, prone to be problematic (even the factory had problems getting big Jags reliable for competition) and as for just slipping in a manual gearbox in leiu of the auto well all I can say is you must be a very competent machanic as I would look on that as a heck of a lot of work and expense which you said you wanted to avoid I believe.
Old 8 Feb 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2391163)   #27
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
even the factory had problems getting big Jags reliable for competition
Ah, but it's not for competition (and it's not a V12, it's a Ford straight 6!), it's for trackdays where I'm learning the circuit rather than setting lap records (of course you're not allowed to time yourself on track days ) and for getting there in a reasonably civilised manner. The real difficulty is reminding myself that I'm not after another collectable, I'm looking for a tool for a specific job, hence the fact that I was out again today to look at another BMW.

I just hope no-one recognised me.

Last edited by Colin McKay; 8 Feb 2009 at 17:45.
Old 8 Feb 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2391174)   #28
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Each to their own ;-)
Old 8 Feb 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2391301)   #29
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Although some cars are more user friendly and some have more room inside, I always remember Fred Moss used to actually drive a De Tomaso Pantera to the circuits with race wheels and slick tyres inside ! So where there's a will there's a way

Hey I just thought. Rear wheel drive, 6 speed sequential box. Look at my avatar !!!!!

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 8 Feb 2009 at 21:33.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Feb 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2391306)   #30
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ha ha I remember Fred, met him at my mates tyre shop in Camden Town, mad bugger he was!
Old 8 Feb 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2391340)   #31
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Hey I just thought. Rear wheel drive, 6 speed sequential box. Look at my avatar !!!!!
Would there be room for the calendar for checking lap times?
Old 9 Feb 2009, 00:23 (Ref:2391384)   #32
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Don't laugh too much, some of them go pretty well, and mine ain't exactly slow as some have already found out on the roads round my neck of the woods !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5S1NAMnYKM
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Feb 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2391639)   #33
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Brilliant! That raised a laugh on a gloomy Monday morning!
Old 11 Feb 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2395706)   #34
banbury
Rookie

banbury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa 75,either 2 Litre or V6,or an Alfetta GTV 6.
Old 25 Feb 2009, 16:28 (Ref:2403980)   #35
mhljoih
Rookie

mhljoih should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MX5 would be a good choice, I have used one for the last 3 year,very reliable, cheap to buy / run & easy on brakes / tyres
I drive to & from the circuit with one spare in the boot
Old 27 Feb 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2405708)   #36
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well, so far I've looked at about a dozen different cars and as mentioned earlier all I've ended up buying is an MX5 for my daughter - what a great little car, I'm jealous! I'm not allowed to drive it but at least she allows me to fill the tank so that's something.

I was at Brands yesterday where, amongst all the heavy metal, someone was having just as much fun in his MX5 probably at a quarter of the cost so I might have to work out some sort of hire deal.