Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Jan 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3875714)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Tim, feel free to correct but I wonder about your '97: may be its a typo and we should read '79 instead? Around one year from here, Gordon was talking about the spanish gov' studying new rules for the foreign driving licences. Then came up the special allowances list, "code 79" is one of those, and I recall Gordon saying that he'd better keep his english licence till it lasts.
Gerard, the date is 1997. When the UK harmonised our licences with Europe they were going to make everyone take a trailer test if the combination was over 3500kg gross (B+E) and a test for any vehicle over 3500kg up to 7500kg gross (C1) but industry said it would be too expensive to train everyone up and get them tested so we have grandfather rights if your passed your driving test before 1997.
If you passed after 1997 then you have to take the relevant tests. I have a C+E licence but on my C1E category it has a 107 code which means I can only gross to 8250kg with a trailer attached to a 7500kg truck, I assume my C+E overrides it but I've never put it to the test.
If Gordon means licence codes then our code 79 means restricted to certain classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
The GOV.UK note in post #1 states:
"When registered, trailers must display a trailer registration number plate as well as the registration number plate of the towing vehicle."
Where are you supposed to put two plates, mine barely has room for one

Last edited by Tim Falce; 12 Jan 2019 at 17:16.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3875715)   #27
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Terence, it’s just UK catching up with a Euro convention- eventually! And I doubt anything to do with leaving the EU, as if we’re not in it we don’t need to conform.... As Gerard says, it should allow trailers to be more easily traced if the number is permanently attached.
I believe the thinking is that we will have to adopt EU regs for driving or we wont be able to drive in Johnny Foreigners countries. At the moment we can adopt which rules we want and discard any we don't and the EU have to accept it.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 16:13 (Ref:3875728)   #28
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the clarification Tim, I was wrong about the date and you're right. As you say "code 79" is restricted not it terms of weight but of class, the vehicle must be registered or modified as a "camping car".

I guess its the right moment for you to adopt any rule you want, how the EU could put a veto on that?
Old 13 Jan 2019, 08:54 (Ref:3875859)   #29
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Terence Bower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW, Anyone got their IDP yet? RAC is the best route.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 09:18 (Ref:3875865)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
‘From February 1st International Driving Permits will only be issued by post offices.’

That from the RAC website....

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/d...ts-and-brexit/
Old 13 Jan 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3875885)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Although it’s got nowt to do with trailer registrations, to expand on the last post, at the moment the AA and RAC, plus 89 post offices, can issue IDPs, but from Feb 1st they will be obtainable only by visiting any post office. They will not be available by post or online...

Cost £5.50, valid 12 months, and apparently will be a straightforward issuing process.....
Old 13 Jan 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3875888)   #32
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Although it’s got nowt to do with trailer registrations, to expand on the last post, at the moment the AA and RAC, plus 89 post offices, can issue IDPs, but from Feb 1st they will be obtainable only by visiting any post office. They will not be available by post or online...

Cost £5.50, valid 12 months, and apparently will be a straightforward issuing process.....

What could possibly go wrong?
Old 13 Jan 2019, 11:22 (Ref:3875889)   #33
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I guess we'll have to satisfy the same thing when driving in your country betting on our Permis de Conduire International to be no more recognized. If its a matter of reciprocity it would make sens.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 11:33 (Ref:3875892)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
What could possibly go wrong?
They reckon a 5 minute process to get one over the counter, but that’s when you’ve reached the counter! As our local PO is now 2 tiny booths squeezed into the corner of a convenience store, and the queue usually blocks most of the aisles, I think allowing at least 1/2 hr probably wise. And then it will need the individual the other side of the counter to know how the process works....

So, absolutely nothing to go wrong!
Old 13 Jan 2019, 14:39 (Ref:3875926)   #35
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mike, I don't think that it will be all P.O.s. This from UK.GOV website:

Quote:
From 1 February 2019, the government will begin providing IDPs. From this date, you will be able to apply for both 1949 and 1968 types of IDP at 2,500 Post Offices across the UK. We will announce which Post Office branches will offer IDPs in early 2019.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3875927)   #36
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Jeezus.... a fiver! Here an IDP (which I need to drive in Spain annually as they dont recognise Aussie licences) costs $40.00 for 12 months. But I can still get one from from any RAC (Victoria) outlet or any Post Office.... as UK, all by direct visit only. Nothing on the RACV website to suggest a change in the wind here. Ironically my local RACV outlet is two shops up from a Post Office.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3875932)   #37
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Mike, apologies for for a little O T but thought it relevant to driving abroad.
The RAC on line I thought the better option, you can specify France Belgium and Germany. Usually the IDP applies to countries like Spain etc. Its all explained on the form.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3875933)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Bower View Post
Mike, apologies for for a little O T but thought it relevant to driving abroad.
The RAC on line I thought the better option, you can specify France Belgium and Germany. Usually the IDP applies to countries like Spain etc. Its all explained on the form.
But from Feb 1st they won’t be issuing them anymore! So if anyone wants one from them or the AA they have 18 days......

Mike, you mean we have more than 2500 P.O.s? Apologies for my inaccuracy- the post office site didn’t suggest not all of them would be involved.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 19:45 (Ref:3876136)   #39
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
If I remember correctly I read somewhere that we might need two different types of IDP depending on which European country one intends to drive in, as the EU hasn't got around to ensuring all members have the same affiliations.....
Old 14 Jan 2019, 20:16 (Ref:3876140)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
If I remember correctly I read somewhere that we might need two different types of IDP depending on which European country one intends to drive in, as the EU hasn't got around to ensuring all members have the same affiliations.....
Form what I’ve read- That’s already the case, Richard. It’s never simple!
Old 15 Jan 2019, 05:54 (Ref:3876216)   #41
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
That's why I commented on not forgetting France Belgium and Germany going on the form. Usually IDP applies for Spain and those countries nearby.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 06:16 (Ref:3876221)   #42
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Reading through the latest on RAC site, the only way you can get an IDP from them (before they cease issuing them) is by dating your travel as being before Feb1st. If you date it later, you won’t get a licence.

Old 15 Jan 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3876233)   #43
Terence Bower
Rookie

Germany
Quote:
Reading through the latest on RAC site, the only way you can get an IDP from them (before they cease issuing them) is by dating your travel as being before Feb1st. If you date it later, you won’t get a licence.

Well, it is valid for 12 months Mike.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3876328)   #44
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Bower View Post
Well, it is valid for 12 months Mike.

Bet we'rs still extending Article 50 implementation by then......
Old 21 Jan 2019, 12:25 (Ref:3877512)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Going back to trailer registration, I found this, which is far more informative than the DVLA blurb. Note it was supposed to commence last Nov!

https://www.fpb.org/dvla-online-trailer-registration/
Old 13 Feb 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3883727)   #46
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Latest from DVLA by email is-

‘At this stage’ they are only looking to register trailers being used for commercial use.

They are ‘currently live testing’ the registration service for commercial trailers, and I will be contacted within 2 working days with information on how to register and ‘when they’d like me to register’........

They also mention that registration will be through the ‘Government Gateway’ website, which is same as used for tax stuff.

Watch this space for more exciting news!
Old 13 Feb 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3883748)   #47
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watch this space for more exciting news! [/QUOTE]

Holding my breath

Seriously though very useful info, thanks Mike.
Old 13 Feb 2019, 13:08 (Ref:3883806)   #48
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Latest from DVLA by email is-

‘At this stage’ they are only looking to register trailers being used for commercial use.

They are ‘currently live testing’ the registration service for commercial trailers, and I will be contacted within 2 working days with information on how to register and ‘when they’d like me to register’........

They also mention that registration will be through the ‘Government Gateway’ website, which is same as used for tax stuff.

Watch this space for more exciting news!
I won't sleep properly for a couple of nights in anticipation
Old 16 Feb 2019, 07:58 (Ref:3884554)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, surprise surprise, I now have a trailer registration number, and have been relieved of £26 for the privilege. Stress again that it is ONLY COMMERCIAL USE TRAILERS OVER 750kg that can be registered at this time.

Just have to get a plate made up- hopefully the suppliers will have the necessary info!

Some last minute changes-

Plate was going to be white letters on black, but now black letters on white....

Plate was going to be oblong, but they're now saying square....

A 231mm x 164mm motorcycle size plate apparently can be used.

Doesn't need to be reflective material, but will supplier have non reflective white?

Doesn't need illumination.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3884631)   #50
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Do not need illumination now? Bright idea!
I can't find the words to tell you that our motorcycles plates must be…
21 x 13 centimeters, in your words…… 8.26771 x 5.11811 inches! Out of taxes. Just a matter of reflexion!