Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Dec 2019, 09:13 (Ref:3949020)   #26
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggo View Post
The sound of a V8 makes a lot of the fascination.
A V8 just sounds like two four cylinders joined together anyway, e.g, Lotus Espirt V8, Ferrari 488.

If you are desperate for the inline fours to sound lumpy and uneven like a Ford Boss 302, then either an unequal length header (a la old Subaru turbo) or crossplane crankshaft (a la Yamaha R1) in the inline four will do the trick.
Old 30 Dec 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3949022)   #27
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
perhaps is affordable the better word.

The sound of a V8 makes a lot of the fascination.

I like what BTCC is doing but I see no advantage in hybrid.
When the engine doesn't matter like you say (V8 vs R4) why would spectators care about hybrid systems? In my opinion they just increase the costs without a benefit.
Spectactors don't care, but for manufacturers -- Honda, BMW, Mercedes Benz etc -- the hybrid is an essential step in the road towards electrification.

Racing pure combustion engines is seen as regressive.

People over 35 years of age, who have only ever known the romance and freedom of combustion engines, are rather not well placed to understand what young people think about combustion engines.

You need to think about what young people think about combustion engines: they are dirty polluting things that have ruined the environment.

To glorify having an oversized, inefficient combustion engine is not a good look.

It's somewhat immaterial that the B-doubles use more fuel than the actual race cars so in a season.

It's important to acknowledge that efficiency, even with a combustion engine hybrid, is important and chase as much efficiency as possible (e.g., F1 with nearly 50% thermal efficiency from their hybrid power units).

Think about how road cars are marketed these days:

Mazda Skyactiv
BMW Efficient Dynamics
Honda EarthDreams

Even if you are selling a car that has only a combustion engine and no hybrid or plug in electric part, the vehicle is still marketed on the basis of being *as efficient and environmentally conscious as possible* (even if it may be greenwashing, illogical etc).

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 30 Dec 2019 at 09:23.
Old 30 Dec 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3949049)   #28
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Spectactors don't care, but for manufacturers -- Honda, BMW, Mercedes Benz etc -- the hybrid is an essential step in the road towards electrification.
You remember that I was suggesting to be independend from car manufacturers?

Quote:
Racing pure combustion engines is seen as regressive.
Not at the current supercars fanbase.

Quote:
People over 35 years of age, who have only ever known the romance and freedom of combustion engines, are rather not well placed to understand what young people think about combustion engines.
You need to think about what young people think about combustion engines: they are dirty polluting things that have ruined the environment.
you will not gain young people as spectators with hybrid engines.

Most dont care about cars anymore.
Quote:
It's important to acknowledge that efficiency, even with a combustion engine hybrid, is important and chase as much efficiency as possible (e.g., F1 with nearly 50% thermal efficiency from their hybrid power units).
If you want to save fuel, stay at home and dont watch car races.

If you want racecars, you dont care about fuel efficency (during the race).
If you want fuel efficency you dont are about racecars.

Thats how I know it from the racetrack and from work/friends.
I don't know anyone who says: "Oh, if the racecars are burning less fuel I will watch that race for sure."

And if the majority of car buyers would care about fuel efficiency for climate reasons, they would not buy Pickup Trucks and SUV.
So in my opinion there is no reeason for hybrid racecars, except to change the minds of a car company’s board.
Old 30 Dec 2019, 17:38 (Ref:3949098)   #29
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I like what BTCC is doing but I see no advantage in hybrid.
When the engine doesn't matter like you say (V8 vs R4) why would spectators care about hybrid systems? In my opinion they just increase the costs without a benefit.
The advantage is that it makes it far easier for manufacturers to justify being in motorsport.

I wouldn't be so sure that no fans are interested. I know many teenagers who are into cars and many of them are far more interested in electric vehicles than V8's.
Old 31 Dec 2019, 01:07 (Ref:3949135)   #30
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hybrids will escalate costs, no one can deny that because an extra power source just got added and how many entrants could afford that cost as well as finding and affording the expertise to maintain the entire power train? it is far more viable to stick with an IC based engine and down the track build a spec roller skate with the drive train installed. Put a body on it and the costs will actually reduce I would think. Doing that will sort out who can drive and who can't because the parity will be built in apart from the fabrication work building the body. It may not be a very appealing thing at the moment but time will wear away the idea that we must have an IC based engine.
Old 31 Dec 2019, 03:27 (Ref:3949143)   #31
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Hybrids will escalate costs, no one can deny that because an extra power source just got added and how many entrants could afford that cost as well as finding and affording the expertise to maintain the entire power train? it is far more viable to stick with an IC based engine and down the track build a spec roller skate with the drive train installed. Put a body on it and the costs will actually reduce I would think. Doing that will sort out who can drive and who can't because the parity will be built in apart from the fabrication work building the body. It may not be a very appealing thing at the moment but time will wear away the idea that we must have an IC based engine.
Surely the next TV deal would cover the costs required, just as the last TV deal did.

The last thing the category needs is more control parts, let alone an almost complete Hybrid car from the one source
Old 31 Dec 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3949148)   #32
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Surely the next TV deal would cover the costs required, just as the last TV deal did.

The last thing the category needs is more control parts, let alone an almost complete Hybrid car from the one source
The next round of TV deals will cost the networks less as Fox is in deep debt and unlikely to get out of it and some observers are confidently predicting its demise totally. Fox were the ones pushing the record payments for media rights so if they close down or curtail their offerings then sport organisations are not going to get anywhere near the money they did last time. FTA will then be able to offer peanuts or not offer at all if they don't think the sport is worth broadcasting.

The roller skate is a sure way to get parity and it will be full electric not hybrid, they could build one now if they wanted to for an IC motor. Supercars are manic about parity and this will ensure that mania continues and can be better controlled. Personally I can't see Supercars surviving a change to full electric as its fan base will not condone it so the whole thing is moot at best. I hate parity but that is just me and I don't expect anyone to agree with me. For all the control it still does not allow back of the field teams to do anything than run at the back and supposedly parity evens the technical side and makes it possible for every team to have a shot at winning and that concept is a dream at best in any motor sport.
Old 31 Dec 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3949208)   #33
Johno.UK
Racer

With parity all the marginal gains that top teams can find become even more important. It's no coincidence that throughout motor racing the top teams invariably win even in one make racing. It's the preparation and personnel that make the difference. Without the parity controls the same teams would be at the front but the teams at the back would be totally destroyed IMO.
Old 31 Dec 2019, 22:45 (Ref:3949303)   #34
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
With parity all the marginal gains that top teams can find become even more important. It's no coincidence that throughout motor racing the top teams invariably win even in one make racing. It's the preparation and personnel that make the difference. Without the parity controls the same teams would be at the front but the teams at the back would be totally destroyed IMO.
Johno,

So very true, you are, at least in my opinion, 100% correct.

Parity is a dirty word to many motor racing enthusiasts, however, in my experience, of running [managing] several categories over the last 30 years, including, tightly controlled one make racing, the best Team and driver combination consistently wins.

Based on my 30 plus years of hands on experience, I believe that Australian V8 Supercars have to continue to push for parity, controlled Dampers is but one move in the right direction, but until they introduce a controlled front suspension, then the top teams will be able to better exploit the controlled damper's so called sweet spot this year, and that a given.

Next year, 2021, Supercars will introduce a controlled upright, but will they also mandate controlled pick up points etc? Despite the naysayer's, being vehemently apposed to Supercars control components push under Adrian Burgess, I don't think they are going far enough, at least in terms of lowering cost.

Hopefully, Burgess also moves to mandate a set of controlled springs and anti-roll bars at one and the same time, so that there remains a choice, but a limited one that gives teams some freedoms on set-up.

As I said before, the top Teams/driver combinations will still win, however, cost will be significantly lowered, as will the premium price the top team can on-sell their older chassis for which will have a beneficial downstream effect, in Super 2.

I would also introduce spec Ford and Chev, blue printed, so called "crate engine's" in Super 2, which would significantly lower the cost of competing in the official Feeder Series, and at the same time pave the way for introducing the same controlled engines in the main game.

Well that's my rant for the New Year.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 1 Jan 2020, 01:56 (Ref:3949312)   #35
Casper
Veteran

I have to preface what follows with this, I am a motor racing enthusiast, I am not a fan of manufacturer or driver but I love watching racing at any level and watch talented drivers work at their craft. I had a mate when we were racing karts that was one of those people, other competitors used to line up at the fence to watch him race and in one event many years ago where professionals and a few amateurs were put in the same karts some of the professionals asked him to to go into cars because he beat them. In short I have no allegiance to any team or driver.

Parity...it was supposed to level the field and allow less than the very good to actually have a chance of winning of at least mixing in with the rest of the field and everyone knows it does not work as intended no matter what is done. I admire the principal but in over 50 years of racing I have never seen it work as intended and I would love to BTW. I just hate the way it does not work and not the principal itself because it would be awesome to see that kind of racing, let the talent rise etc and the amount of money become less important, the engineering capability of teams funded by money is the hurdle to that dream.

If a "roller skate" was used with a specified body it would go a long way to solving the issue IMHO and would take away a lot of engineering need and funding from the teams and this is what separates the men from the boys in the end and why teams are not equal. Teams with less funds could buy a used chassis ans still be up there in performance, the motor and drive line would be part of the chassis as supplied. My view is if you want parity then do it properly other wise get out of the way and let the teams develop and engineer the cars within outline regulations which includes unlimited motor and chassis development and see who can build the fastest car and not necessarily with the fastest driver though both tend to gravitate to each other.

At the moment as with most parity racing this is not the case, there is an incremental engineering war going on that is hugely expensive and putting a new front end in the cars won't change or solve the problem of equalising the performance of cars across the grid, in fact the change initially will cost a lot of money for next year.

If we are going to have parity let's do it properly from the chassis up and fiddle around at the edges. I can hear the cries of NO from here and very few of those will come from anyone who has actually been a competitor.
Old 1 Jan 2020, 03:11 (Ref:3949317)   #36
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As much as a,m crate motor is a noble idea for Super2 the vested interests of on selling old kit down to Super2 teams will, stop common sense from prevailing.

We know crate motors would give us the same competition at lower cost but I feel like Super2 was primarily always about creating a market for old cars and less about developing driving and engineering talent.

Hell a guy I used to spanner for bought a car and after he realised how much he needed to support it sold it on again rather quickly.

I think a crate engine and some limits on data acquisition would help Super2, but you still need to be able to train people to the point where they can hit the main game running.
Old 1 Jan 2020, 03:46 (Ref:3949320)   #37
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have to preface what follows with this, I am a motor racing enthusiast, I am not a fan of manufacturer or driver but I love watching racing at any level and watch talented drivers work at their craft. I had a mate when we were racing karts that was one of those people, other competitors used to line up at the fence to watch him race and in one event many years ago where professionals and a few amateurs were put in the same karts some of the professionals asked him to to go into cars because he beat them. In short I have no allegiance to any team or driver.

Parity...it was supposed to level the field and allow less than the very good to actually have a chance of winning of at least mixing in with the rest of the field and everyone knows it does not work as intended no matter what is done. I admire the principal but in over 50 years of racing I have never seen it work as intended and I would love to BTW. I just hate the way it does not work and not the principal itself because it would be awesome to see that kind of racing, let the talent rise etc and the amount of money become less important, the engineering capability of teams funded by money is the hurdle to that dream.

If a "roller skate" was used with a specified body it would go a long way to solving the issue IMHO and would take away a lot of engineering need and funding from the teams and this is what separates the men from the boys in the end and why teams are not equal. Teams with less funds could buy a used chassis ans still be up there in performance, the motor and drive line would be part of the chassis as supplied. My view is if you want parity then do it properly other wise get out of the way and let the teams develop and engineer the cars within outline regulations which includes unlimited motor and chassis development and see who can build the fastest car and not necessarily with the fastest driver though both tend to gravitate to each other.

At the moment as with most parity racing this is not the case, there is an incremental engineering war going on that is hugely expensive and putting a new front end in the cars won't change or solve the problem of equalising the performance of cars across the grid, in fact the change initially will cost a lot of money for next year.

If we are going to have parity let's do it properly from the chassis up and fiddle around at the edges. I can hear the cries of NO from here and very few of those will come from anyone who has actually been a competitor.
Except that motor racing has never, ever, been about just the driver.
Building and engineering good cars has always been as important as finding who the best driver is. The sport has never been called ‘driver racing’ after all

It’s only in the last 15-20 years ‘parity’ or ‘control components’ have taken over the motor racing world to a prolific state, a little longer in Australia. This push has always been about containing costs though, not about making the rules ‘pure’ to find who the best driver is.

One could argue part of being the best driver is manoeuvring yourself into the best car
Old 1 Jan 2020, 11:01 (Ref:3949366)   #38
Casper
Veteran

If it is an engineering/car thing then why worry about parity. I agree with you by the way but by levelling the playing field costs are supposed to be curtailed and every team is in with a chance....yeah right. They get 3 out of 10 for that.
Old 1 Jan 2020, 11:08 (Ref:3949368)   #39
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If it is an engineering/car thing then why worry about parity. I agree with you by the way but by levelling the playing field costs are supposed to be curtailed and every team is in with a chance....yeah right. They get 3 out of 10 for that.
If you want a class where every team has an approximately equal chance then there is TCR.

All cars are equal supposedly when BOP is applied.
Organisers can change BOP to give a lesser team an artificial boost.
You can even have success ballast.

However if I was the best driver in the best team and others got a leg up for not being as good, I wouldn't be very happy.
Old 1 Jan 2020, 11:28 (Ref:3949377)   #40
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
However if I was the best driver in the best team and others got a leg up for not being as good, I wouldn't be very happy.

Yet that very thing happened to Scott McLaughlin and DJR Team Penske in 2019, even though technical parity per the letter of the regulations and seasoned VCAT aero test already had been established before the first round in Adelaide.

For some reason, the organisers eventually got so desperate that they added 40 kg extra downforce to the Commodores, after which McLaughlin's best efforts no longer had any chance and the Commodores duly swept up 7 out of 9 victories.
Old 1 Jan 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3949379)   #41
Johno.UK
Racer

It's one of the many things that divide fans. Many I know despise any series that handicaps cars/drivers like TCR, BTCC, WEC etc and others think it's the only way motorsport can exist. You can't please all the people all the time but people are always trying to change their favourite motorsport to suit their whims rather than supporting something which is closer in it's DNA to what they want in the first place.
Old 2 Jan 2020, 19:28 (Ref:3949538)   #42
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
It's one of the many things that divide fans. Many I know despise any series that handicaps cars/drivers like TCR, BTCC, WEC etc and others think it's the only way motorsport can exist. You can't please all the people all the time but people are always trying to change their favourite motorsport to suit their whims rather than supporting something which is closer in it's DNA to what they want in the first place.
Johno.

F1 is flat out "cheque book" racing and even the majority of the teams can't sustain the cost's, hence the moves to try to reduce costs by the use of some control parts in the future, amongst a spending cap etc.

Sustainable motor racing has to cap cost, and the only practical way to do that is by the use of controlled components, BTCC was on elf the first Premier Touring Car Series to do that, and by and large that has been successful. Whilst I hate the politic's of success weight, BTCC and WTCC have proven it works in maintaining the punters interest in both Series.
Old 2 Jan 2020, 19:48 (Ref:3949543)   #43
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Johno.

F1 is flat out "cheque book" racing and even the majority of the teams can't sustain the cost's, hence the moves to try to reduce costs by the use of some control parts in the future, amongst a spending cap etc.
The F1 cost cap is only window dressing as the cap is set above the existing budgets of the second tier teams and together with the a list of exclusions longer than my arm the top teams will continue to spend significantly more than the second tier teams.

On a positive note it is at least an acknowledgement that the cost for the smaller teams is not sustainable.

It has always appeared that the top teams have rejected cost caps because they always believe that they will be able to secure the funds to maintain an edge over the other teams.

Why would a Mercedes willing give up this advantage? They want to be racing and beating Ferrari, not Racing Point. There is little in it for Mercedes to be brought back to the level of Racing Point or have Racing Point being brought up to their level.

In Supercars a cost cap was proposed and rejected - times were good and the top teams did not want to give up their spending advantage.

However times have clearly changed and maybe some form of cap will be introduced but I remain sceptical.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 06:08 (Ref:3955590)   #44
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Looks like no more sedans for Gen3 according to Mr Seamer.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3955602)   #45
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Smart!

Sedans are on the nose. It's either hatchback (already covered by TCR), ute (already covered by SuperUtes), two door coupe or SUV that remain popular styles of vehicle.

For whatever reason SUV racing has been ruled out, so that leaves two door coupes as the relevant market segment.

BMW 8 series is coincidentally nearly the same size and shape as a Ford Mustang, likewise Mercedes E class coupe... wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3955604)   #46
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
That approach will revolve around the reports that say GM will axe the Camaro and GM have made no final declaration on that to this date that I am aware of. GM have two problems, no suitable chassis platform until 2025, falling sales and the Camaro reaching it end of use date by GM standards according to this article which is over 6 months old.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06...vrolet-camaro/

Until GM make an official comment it is only supposition but this link adds fuel to the fire.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06...vrolet-camaro/

And this link shows why OEMS are in a race to go electric because they have no option. While not directly bearing on the Camaro issue it is indicative of what is driving manufacturers to ramp up BEV's, they simply have no choice so vehicles such as the Camaro have a rocky future short term and inevitably no future long term.

Some would say why does the UK decision impact the Australian racing scene, it would be a fair assumption that international OEM's can see the writing on the wall, Milan had had quite a few days of total bans on IC cars in the city in recent times and this sort of stuff will continue to push the direction the OEM's are moving in. What they do is what we will drive, QED really.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51366123

I think the bigger question is whether Gen 3 will actually happen in it's proposed form at all but I am only a keyboard warrior as pointed out to me recently.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 10:21 (Ref:3955608)   #47
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Smart!

Sedans are on the nose. It's either hatchback (already covered by TCR), ute (already covered by SuperUtes), two door coupe or SUV that remain popular styles of vehicle.

For whatever reason SUV racing has been ruled out, so that leaves two door coupes as the relevant market segment.
We already have SUV racing after a fashion, although not currently Australia relevant other than the availability of the road going version.... a one make (Jaguar electric SUV ) series, The FIA sanctioned series supporting Formula E Electric Racing.

Billed as the world’s first all-electric production based international race series, the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy.
Quote:
For the first time in the history of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship, we're welcoming the arrival of our first official support series, the Jaguar I-Pace eTROPHY. Taking place ahead of 10 rounds of the Formula E Championship in eight global cities, up to 20 entrants will compete for a prize fund in excess of £500,000.
https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/champ...aguar-e-trophy
Old 4 Feb 2020, 10:58 (Ref:3955614)   #48
Christopher
Racer

Australia
Peak Crossing, Queensland.
Christopher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

BMW 8 series is coincidentally nearly the same size and shape as a Ford Mustang, likewise Mercedes E class coupe... wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
Wasn't Jamie driving one with the boss on the weekend....
Old 4 Feb 2020, 18:59 (Ref:3955719)   #49
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
That approach will revolve around the reports that say GM will axe the Camaro and GM have made no final declaration on that to this date that I am aware of. GM have two problems, no suitable chassis platform until 2025, falling sales and the Camaro reaching it end of use date by GM standards according to this article which is over 6 months old.
The article I linked talks about Corvette rather than Camaro. The way Mr Seamer talks in it, sounds like they had a good think about going the GT3 route but consider those cars too expensive and are looking at doing something lower cost but maybe based on the same or similar road cars.

Quote:
I think the bigger question is whether Gen 3 will actually happen in it's proposed form at all but I am only a keyboard warrior as pointed out to me recently.
I think that's a perfectly valid question but whether or not it happens won't be clear for some time yet. They need to come up with the concept and have teams, manufacturers etc engaged with it first.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 04:05 (Ref:3955777)   #50
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
No more commodores thank goodness.
Closed Thread