Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jul 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3988086)   #26
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vettel will have to drive for little or no pay to get in the cars further back. Now whether he could bring a sponsor on board is a detail that would change things. But would that make him a paying driver and would a 4x WC want to be that guy
Old 14 Jul 2020, 20:51 (Ref:3988298)   #27
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like vettel’s been offered a contract by racing point to replace perez for next year. I imagine it’s a significant pay cut if he takes it tho.
Old 14 Jul 2020, 21:06 (Ref:3988302)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If true, that would be gutting for Checo after all he’s done for team, especially with options for next season already running out
Old 14 Jul 2020, 22:48 (Ref:3988322)   #29
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perez to RBR if Albon doesn't step it up?

Richard
Old 14 Jul 2020, 23:51 (Ref:3988330)   #30
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If true, that would be gutting for Checo after all he’s done for team, especially with options for next season already running out
Agreed. Incredibly unlucky.

However he would be an upgrade on Albon at RBR and a great foil for Max.

RBR's biggest problem at the moment and over the past couple of seconds is they don't have that second guy close in 4th to throw a spanner in Merc's strategy and force their hand. So many times we have seen Mercs in the top 2 or 3 with Max in amongst them, but Gasly or Albon 30 seconds behind down the road. It's a massive hindrance.

Perez I feel would be in amongst it and importantly, able to pick up the pieces if Max retires or has problems. RBR should definitely consider it if he is an option.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 01:18 (Ref:3988457)   #31
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's definitely a consideration if he's freed up and available. Could see Kyvat released again and Albon demoted.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3988483)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The question is, would Red Bull take a driver they are not connected to? That for me is the stumbling block to Checo going there
Old 15 Jul 2020, 09:03 (Ref:3988488)   #33
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Also is Vettel an upgrade on Perez? On current form it's highly debatable.

If you want to improve the Racing Point driver lineup then Perez is not the driver you need to replace (rather obviously).
Old 15 Jul 2020, 09:04 (Ref:3988489)   #34
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The question is, would Red Bull take a driver they are not connected to? That for me is the stumbling block to Checo going there
A good point, but they should be looking outside their stable. They've done it before with Webber.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 10:14 (Ref:3988501)   #35
S griffin
Veteran

Problem is when Webber joined back in 07, they still had Coulthard. I think the last driver they signed for RBR/STR who was not part of the Red Bull stable was Bourdais back in 08
Old 15 Jul 2020, 10:45 (Ref:3988508)   #36
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Problem is when Webber joined back in 07, they still had Coulthard. I think the last driver they signed for RBR/STR who was not part of the Red Bull stable was Bourdais back in 08
And let's not forget that Webber had a connection of sorts with the team when he drove for their predecessor Jaguar.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 14:42 (Ref:3988547)   #37
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perez just signed a 3 year extension which runs to 2022 which i would guess comes with him bringing a pretty hefty sponsorship package so that may be difficult to untangle from (not impossible of course but probably costly).

seems like an odd move from the the generally level headed Szafnauer although i suspect the move has more to do with his billionaire boss...which fair enough i suppose as it is his money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Also is Vettel an upgrade on Perez? On current form it's highly debatable.
imo he would be a downgrade and for me questionable whether or not SV could now function on a smaller team....oddly enough though that makes me more curious to see how he would do in this situation.

just a shame it has to come at the expense of a seat for Perez who it must be said has been great for this team.

but why not Haas as a possible destination for Perez? surely Haas will need at least one new driver next year. love the effort Grosjean puts in but surely he makes too many mistakes to keep his race seat.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 15:05 (Ref:3988554)   #38
S griffin
Veteran

If Perez ends up at Haas, he would really need to gel with Gunther, otherwise it would be quite temperamental me thinks
Old 15 Jul 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3988561)   #39
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
If Perez ends up at Haas, he would really need to gel with Gunther, otherwise it would be quite temperamental me thinks
First, it would be a big step down. But that sometimes happens if you want to stay in the sport.

Also, I think moving to Haas is risky. Frankly, if Haas has a bad year this year, I can see them pulling the plug. I think delaying the new regulations by a year (pushing from 2021 to 2022) was a bad idea. It may lock teams like Haas into potentially two years of bad performance with the promise of things "maybe" being better in 2022.

Richard
Old 15 Jul 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3988565)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sure but they still get to move forward without having to design a new chassis for 2021 so money saved there. Plus Perez money could help for the changes which will be allowed.

Of course you are correct in that it is a step down and only potentially there if he wanted to stay in the sport.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3988574)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Otmar said on Saturday that there were going to be no driver changes?
If I were a team boss right now i'd think long and hard about the benefits of signing Vettel.
The only ones I can think of is experience and PR value?
Based on his inconsistent form I don't think he would offer anymore than Checo.
If Stroll is serious about the teams ambitions he might be better off replacing his son.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 17:41 (Ref:3988581)   #42
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Otmar said on Saturday that there were going to be no driver changes?

If I were a team boss right now i'd think long and hard about the benefits of signing Vettel.

The only ones I can think of is experience and PR value?

Based on his inconsistent form I don't think he would offer anymore than Checo.

If Stroll is serious about the teams ambitions he might be better off replacing his son.
I can't imagine Vettel being better in a new car, new philosophy over a guy who's been in and developed the car. Oh and brings a decent bit of cash.

I think you could see Daddy cut Jr out and get him a sportscar team if he really wants to keep racing. Stroll Sr is a business man and has a group to answer to, it's not just his team. He's just the frontman for an investment group.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 23:54 (Ref:3988615)   #43
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
The fact of the matter is that the last time Red Bull won the WCC was with a non-Red Bull affiliated driver.

Yes, it was mostly due to Vettel, but Webber was far superior as a supporting act to any of the other ones. Apart from maybe Ricciardo, but he was with the team when they weren't title contenders.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 09:29 (Ref:3988674)   #44
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I think you could see Daddy cut Jr out and get him a sportscar team if he really wants to keep racing.
Like Aston Martin?
Old 16 Jul 2020, 15:02 (Ref:3988745)   #45
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I think you could see Daddy cut Jr out and get him a sportscar team if he really wants to keep racing. Stroll Sr is a business man and has a group to answer to, it's not just his team. He's just the frontman for an investment group.
Quote:
Like Aston Martin?
Man I'd really love to see this if only to add to the sportscar landscape. And I think Perez and Vettel would be the stronger pairing for the team going forward. Though it's now being reported that Perez is being approached by other teams and other categories. Wonder if he's off to Haas or Formula E?
Old 16 Jul 2020, 16:40 (Ref:3988766)   #46
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Like Aston Martin?
Exactly what I meant. Honestly could see him pulling an Aston DPi program after killing the hypercar. Lower budget and possibly LM but that could be tough sell to the ACO after dropping out.

Just from Lawrence's business past and the fact he has to answer to the money men,I could see him pushing to make the team best of the rest and if that means Jr is out, so be it. Remember, he only put up a small amount of the money needed, he's the face of the investment group.

I could also see this go the way of Haas and the investors demand he cut budget and source every part he can and Jr probably drives for free or close to it. But a paying driver would bring sponsors so also a chance to change both seats. But with rumors around Vettel make thought one more probable short term.

Sorry, just saw on RaceFans Vettel confirmed he has talked with RP so that changes the discussion a bit. And possibly moves him forward in the field. An odd thing to think about remembering Force India, Spyker, Midland days. Moving forward in the field moving from a Ferrari just seems odd. But Vettel has been the midfield runner so maybe not the car
Old 16 Jul 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3988773)   #47
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
To be honest the racing point/pink Mercedes could see Vettel as a good bet, the Mercedes people will be pleased to have a German driving a car with a Mercedes engine. The fact that next year it will be badged as Aston Martin will not really cause Mercedes a problem as we all know what engine it has.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 18:18 (Ref:3988793)   #48
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I think this is a dark horse, but frankly I like this idea. It is the most logical thing to do. The problem is when you start expecting people to think logically!

With that said, I do think Lance has been improving. Do I think he will ever be WDC material? No. But I think he is improving. But a Vettel/Perez paring would be better than Vettel/Stroll.

Richard
Old 16 Jul 2020, 18:24 (Ref:3988797)   #49
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes Vettle Perez would be better but the decision is not ours to make and i suspect if Vettel does drive he will not have Perez as a team mate it will be Lance.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 19:44 (Ref:3988810)   #50
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Most definitely it's Perez losing out now, give 2 years, maybe that would change