Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1252915)   #1
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top 5 Best Rain Condition Drivers.

Who are you Top 5 drivers who were the best in the Rain?

1. A. Senna
2. J. Stewart
3. J. Alesi
4. M. Schumacher
5. G. Fisichella
Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1252929)   #2
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tricky one. I suppose Jacky Ickx and Pedro Rodriguez would have to be in there, but I think the only name I could take out of your list would be Fisichella's.

Oh, and Villeneuve, of course, because of Watkins Glen in '79.

Guess that's a top seven for me then...
Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1252937)   #3
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moss was one of the best wet weather drivers
Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:20 (Ref:1252949)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Senna is probably the greatest ever in wet conditions, the amount of times he challenged for wins in inferior machinery when it was wet is unbelievable. Monaco 1984, Spain 1985 and especially Donington 1993 are perhaps the highlights of his career. I'd be included to agree with Stewart second, although beyond that it's difficult. Gilles Villeneuve, Alesi and Ickx all came to the front much more when it rained, as much due to sheer bravery as anything.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1252963)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I couldn't differentiate between them, but I think the top 5 would have to be Rodriguez, Schumacher, Senna, Moss and Ickx. Mind you, if we cast the net wider than F1, I'd want to think about including J.J. Lehto.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1253000)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Top 5 in no particular order:

Jacky Ickx
Ayrton Senna
Michael Schumacher
Gilles Villeneuve
Jacky Stewart

Furthermore, Thierry Boutsen and *shock&gasp* Jos Verstappen...
Old 15 Mar 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1253004)   #7
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
My Top Five

Well there is no doubt who is NUMBER ONE.... Pedro Rodriguez.

Then in no particular order.....

Ayrton Senna; Jackie Stewart; Michael Schumacher and Emerson Fittipaldi.

Old 15 Mar 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1253011)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps not at the top of the list, but I think Damon Hill deserves a mention. He put in a number of superb wet weather drives... Suzuka 94, Interlagos 96, Spa 98.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 02:11 (Ref:1253054)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael HAS to be there. I think his totally dominating win at Monaco in 1997 in terrible weather was one of the hallmark performances of his career.

You can add Spain 1996 as well.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 02:16 (Ref:1253056)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Jackie Ickx was, is and always will be the Rainmaster.

Talented as everyone else mentioned is, he is the best ever in both open wheel and sportscars in the wet.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 04:01 (Ref:1253083)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RUBENS BARRICHELLO? He's one of the best wet weather drivers of all now.
Old 18 Mar 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1255232)   #12
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
RUBENS BARRICHELLO? He's one of the best wet weather drivers of all now.
You may be right.
Monaco 1997 and Hockenheim 2000 came to mind with your saying...
Old 16 Mar 2005, 07:49 (Ref:1253141)   #13
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher Spa98, remind me again just how much faster he was compared to the far superior Macs?

shadow
Old 16 Mar 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1253191)   #14
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fog_shadow
Michael Schumacher Spa98, remind me again just how much faster he was compared to the far superior Macs?

shadow
Well, Häkkinen crashed out on the 1st lap so you can't really compare Schumacher and Häkkinen in that race.

In Monaco 1997 Schumacher changed car just before the start and I think he was nearly only one to have wet-weather setup. Nevertheless, great race by him.

Ickx, Senna and Schumacher clearly deserve to be in top 5. For other two places there are many opportunities.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 09:52 (Ref:1253203)   #15
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyres are a factor. I don't think MS has ever been in a position where he has had the less effective wet tyre.

In 1997-1998 the Goodyear wet was way superior to the Bridgestone, contributing to him and Fisi dominating Spa in 97, and MS and the Jordans dominating again (until MS tried to lap DC's Bridgestone shod car!) in 98

Since then, the Bridgestone has usually been better than the Michelin, and MS has benefited again.

I'm not taking anything away from him, but MS's ability to win races is far more than what he does between the lights and flag. It is his ability to understand the role of everything that affects the car, even down to encouraging Ferrari to forge long term partnerships.

Nevertheless, in Spain in 1996 he was on the same tyres as everyone else.......and won with ease. That alone makes him my number one wet driver of recent times, followed by Senna, and Alesi.

(How long do you think it will take for someone to turn this into a Jos thread?)
Old 16 Mar 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1253312)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27
(How long do you think it will take for someone to turn this into a Jos thread?)
Well, he is (ok, was ) pretty good in the wet. Was it an Orange Arrows he stuck on the podium in Malaysia or somewhere?

For me, i.e. of those I've seen, Senna and Schumacher are head and shoulders above the rest.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1253543)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Well, he is (ok, was ) pretty good in the wet. Was it an Orange Arrows he stuck on the podium in Malaysia or somewhere?
You mean Malaysia 2001?

From memory, he showed well in the race but finished seventh somehow. I think....?
Old 19 Mar 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1255749)   #18
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon

For me, i.e. of those I've seen, Senna and Schumacher are head and shoulders above the rest.

I also remember the Brazillian GP of 1996, seeing "fastes lap: Jos Verstappen-Arrows Hart" on the screen for several laps was great.

and Jos did indeed finish 7th in Malasia 2001, but he did drive 2nd in that race when it was still raining(only 2 (red)cars where doing faster laps at the time, Jos was closing in on DC, but it stopped raining)
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1253252)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I quite liked Michael's dominating display in the wet at Monaco 1996.
I still think Jacky Ickx was a better wet weather driver than Michael Schumacher.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1253498)   #20
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
I quite liked Michael's dominating display in the wet at Monaco 1996.
I still think Jacky Ickx was a better wet weather driver than Michael Schumacher.

97 ..
as i didn't see Icks or Senna in action but i can say Schumacher in Spain 96 was impressive . 3 seconds faster then anybody else at one point ...

Ciao Marco
Old 16 Mar 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1253588)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
97 ..
as i didn't see Icks or Senna in action but i can say Schumacher in Spain 96 was impressive . 3 seconds faster then anybody else at one point ...
Umm no, 1996.
That was fun.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1253634)   #22
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Umm no, 1996.
That was fun.

i should have known better . expecially coming from you ASCII

i remember Spa 95 with Schu on slicks holding Hill on full wets . with that drive from Eau Rouge (i know it didn't quite worked the second time but still )..

Ciao Marco
Old 16 Mar 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1253254)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best ever in rainy conditions?
Prost i guess..
Old 16 Mar 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1253283)   #24
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
The best ever in rainy conditions?
Prost i guess..

ah yes, the San Marino 91 warm up lap - a classic.

Senna gets my vote.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1253361)   #25
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Rainmasters

Wasn't Hans Stuck always considered a great Regenmeister, making ordinary cars look on the pace under such conditions, especially in SPortscars but also in Grand Prix.