Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Aug 2016, 16:42 (Ref:3667715)   #26
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Then IMSA is off until the (most likely last) shared WEC weekend at COTA, then PLM in October. Which may or may not share the same weekend as WEC at Fuji.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 16:45 (Ref:3667716)   #27
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Notice that there was no sportscar race of consequence last weekend. This weekend though we get IMSA, ELMS, Super GT and Blancpain at the same time. Kinda quirky.

Belatedly fixed...
Old 26 Aug 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3667717)   #28
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
SGT isn't happening at the same time.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 16:56 (Ref:3667718)   #29
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It's interesting how racing events tend to cluster on the same weekends quite often. It gets more cluttered when you throw NASCAR and F1 into the mix as well as other series that are televised or streamed.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 17:35 (Ref:3667721)   #30
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Yes. Yes you do.

Barber 250 in late June.

Atlanta GP in June.

Sebring whenever.

Don't forget Lime Rock in July.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 17:52 (Ref:3667722)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Don't forget Lime Rock in July.
Never been there or to that race, unfortunately. I roasted myself at the ones mentioned.

In that damn Yankee Matt's defense, this weekend in Danville will be quite "warm" indeed.

TODAY
AUG 26
Partly Cloudy
93° 71°

SAT
AUG 27
Mostly Cloudy
93° 70°

SUN
AUG 28
Sunny
91° 68°

We hit the 60s down here this week for the first time since June?
Old 26 Aug 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3667727)   #32
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I roast myself at LRP every year.

Once a summer is enough.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3667732)   #33
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
So last year at COTA was one of the worst experiences of my life.

First off, it is hot as balls in Texas in September (gee, maybe that's why attendance is so low). Second, I started feeling sick on Friday morning. By Sunday morning I was full blown sick and was just hoping beyond hope that I could make it through the day without getting everyone else sick. Half hour into the race I literally felt like I was either going to pass out from heat exhaustion, or just die from some other cause. So I headed to the medical tent. They popped a thermometer in my mouth and it came back with a reading of 105 degrees!!! Sadly had to leave the track at that point and go back to my hotel and get in bed. I was gutted to be leaving the track after having looked forward to it for months.

Went to the doctor when I got back on Monday. She said that the nurse at the track was negligent for not forcing me into an ambulance to take me to the nearest hospital. I'm a dumb guy and didn't know that you can apparently get brain damage from a temperature that high. Turned out I had a severe case of pneumonia.

So... Don't ever want to have to go through that ever again!
And... I think I can safely say that I have already been the hottest I will ever be at a race track!
Old 26 Aug 2016, 19:25 (Ref:3667736)   #34
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post

First off, it is hot as balls in Texas in September (gee, maybe that's why attendance is so low). Second, I started feeling sick on Friday morning. By Sunday morning I was full blown sick and was just hoping beyond hope that I could make it through the day without getting everyone else sick. Half hour into the race I literally felt like I was either going to pass out from heat exhaustion, or just die from some other cause. So I headed to the medical tent. They popped a thermometer in my mouth and it came back with a reading of 105 degrees!!! Sadly had to leave the track at that point and go back to my hotel and get in bed. I was gutted to be leaving the track after having looked forward to it for months.

Went to the doctor when I got back on Monday. She said that the nurse at the track was negligent for not forcing me into an ambulance to take me to the nearest hospital. I'm a dumb guy and didn't know that you can apparently get brain damage from a temperature that high. Turned out I had a severe case of pneumonia.

And... I think I can safely say that I have already been the hottest I will ever be at a race track!
Lol...

Your temp has to be much higher than that for quite a bit of time to cause problems. Fevers are beneficial within reason. Yeah, they suck, but...they are there for a reason. Pneumonia, on the other hand, can't be fixed without a bit of help.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 26 Aug 2016, 20:11 (Ref:3667737)   #35
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

This just might beat me being stuck in the slop of 2009 PLM with a 48 hr stomach virus and no way to get out. Nothing much better than sleeping in a tent, on a slope, during a flood, living on cornchips and beer, hitting the port-a-lit 5 or 7 times a night in a little more than flip flops with a canceled race approaching and then happening.

The best part (or worst) was on the way home, the wife calls and says, "Just to let you know, we're out of toilet paper."

I'm am sure everyone will have a grand time at VIR.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 20:43 (Ref:3667741)   #36
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This just might beat me being stuck in the slop of 2009 PLM with a 48 hr stomach virus and no way to get out. Nothing much better than sleeping in a tent, on a slope, during a flood, living on cornchips and beer, hitting the port-a-lit 5 or 7 times a night in a little more than flip flops with a canceled race approaching and then happening.

The best part (or worst) was on the way home, the wife calls and says, "Just to let you know, we're out of toilet paper."

I'm am sure everyone will have a grand time at VIR.
No, I think your worst time at a race track trumps mine! At least the race I was at finished (even if I wasn't there to watch it). And at least I wasn't having to use a porta-potty.
Old 26 Aug 2016, 23:03 (Ref:3667753)   #37
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hi guys. I haven't posted in awhile; but I lurk occasionally (like for 24 hours in June).

I'm making my first trip to VIR tomorrow with my oldest friend/racebud. We've had it on the list for a long time but something always came up (except one of those round tuits.) Looking forward to a race with no Portable Cautions!

Mention of road music reminded me that Road Atlanta has the twin aggravations of Drift and EDM this weekend. Since I live about 3 miles from Road Atlanta and will drive past tomorrow AM, I have already picked out a raucous late punk track to play obnoxiously LOUD/windows down.

Barber got decent turnouts in late July. I went to 'Dega a few times 70's - 80's and being younger, dumber, and thinner (sweat better); I preferred late July as the infield wasn't so packed. In the days of "official" attendance figures, they would sell 30,000 fewer tickets than for late April.

I have never been east of the second I-85 exit in NC. Does anyone have route advice? Bing maps doesn't know I-485 is complete north of Charlotte. Is that a better choice than straight through on I-85?

Is concession food at VIR decent? Is there a paddock area cafe with a TV that could have on the Belgian GP Sunday AM?

For your amusement, the historic Glenn Bunch AAGT HEMI Challenger at VIR 2007. At 1:18, note the 40-170 mph out of Oak Tree shifting at 6000...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1RB6_497c
Old 27 Aug 2016, 00:23 (Ref:3667760)   #38
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by belt driven View Post
Hi guys. I haven't posted in awhile; but I lurk occasionally (like for 24 hours in June).

I'm making my first trip to VIR tomorrow with my oldest friend/racebud. We've had it on the list for a long time but something always came up (except one of those round tuits.) Looking forward to a race with no Portable Cautions!

Mention of road music reminded me that Road Atlanta has the twin aggravations of Drift and EDM this weekend. Since I live about 3 miles from Road Atlanta and will drive past tomorrow AM, I have already picked out a raucous late punk track to play obnoxiously LOUD/windows down.

Barber got decent turnouts in late July. I went to 'Dega a few times 70's - 80's and being younger, dumber, and thinner (sweat better); I preferred late July as the infield wasn't so packed. In the days of "official" attendance figures, they would sell 30,000 fewer tickets than for late April.

I have never been east of the second I-85 exit in NC. Does anyone have route advice? Bing maps doesn't know I-485 is complete north of Charlotte. Is that a better choice than straight through on I-85?

Is concession food at VIR decent? Is there a paddock area cafe with a TV that could have on the Belgian GP Sunday AM?

For your amusement, the historic Glenn Bunch AAGT HEMI Challenger at VIR 2007. At 1:18, note the 40-170 mph out of Oak Tree shifting at 6000...

Awesome video and have fun.

For the route, I'd go I-85 to US 29 in Greensboro NC towards Danville and then 58 towards VIR.

I've taken that route going to Charlottesville several times. Greensboro to Danville is a pretty drive.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 00:34 (Ref:3667761)   #39
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by belt driven View Post

WHOA, more then amused! VA VA VA VOOM!
Old 27 Aug 2016, 11:40 (Ref:3667832)   #40
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Awesome video and have fun.

For the route, I'd go I-85 to US 29 in Greensboro NC towards Danville and then 58 towards VIR.

I've taken that route going to Charlottesville several times. Greensboro to Danville is a pretty drive.
You get out of here with your country music lyrics.

As for concessions at the track...there's a very generic hamburger/hot dog/chicken sandwich place. Much like the paddock grill at road Atlanta. I don't remember good trucks or other places similar to vendor village during petit.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3667837)   #41
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
You get out of here with your country music lyrics.

As for concessions at the track...there's a very generic hamburger/hot dog/chicken sandwich place. Much like the paddock grill at road Atlanta. I don't remember good trucks or other places similar to vendor village during petit.
I think of all the tracks IMSA runs at, V.I.R is the most rural and isolated relatively to how close it is to cities or tourist attraction type towns. It is not a track that you just happen to go by on the way from one city to another during the course of your travels.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 14:07 (Ref:3667840)   #42
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We have had three practice sessions now and we have had almost no discussion of the on-track action. This Thread is awesome!

I've been impressed by how fast the GTD cars are compared to the GT LM. In practice 3 the leaders in both classes were only separated by 2.2 seconds
Old 27 Aug 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3667843)   #43
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sean will get to pick between electronica, alt rock, or MWM for the car ride.

You should go!

And yes, should see you at PLM. Sean and I are doing the end of season trifecta, VIR, COTA, PLM.
I'll see you at PLM. I'm hoping it doesn't rain this year. My shoes never recovered from the mud and wet. They sat on the back porch until spring and then I threw them away.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 14:39 (Ref:3667845)   #44
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
We have had three practice sessions now and we have had almost no discussion of the on-track action. This Thread is awesome!

I've been impressed by how fast the GTD cars are compared to the GT LM. In practice 3 the leaders in both classes were only separated by 2.2 seconds

The GT3's are indeed way faster than the GTD cars from last year. 6 seconds a lap faster I think? So yeah the folks in GTLM won't be lapping GT3 as much this time. So less traffic to worry about in the first stint of the race. Might get challenging in the 2nd and 3rd fuel stints. It would be nice of the GTLM pole can get down into the 1:40 min range. I do like seeing the GT cars fast. Link to 2013 ALMS race for qualifying for comparison: http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...013-10-05.html

The field is tight though I hope to see someone other than Corvette or Ford win this time out.

Do you think we can get a full course yellow free race or are the Porsche guys going to bump somebody off the road and cause one to come out?

Last edited by MaskedRacer; 27 Aug 2016 at 14:52.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 14:53 (Ref:3667851)   #45
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post

yeah the Lambos are fast as balls. Two Hurucans top the maximum speed chart for 3rd practice, and the 27 has been at the top for all three sessions.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 16:08 (Ref:3667859)   #46
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Madison Snow might pull off pole. He really has not done that great this season. So even a top 2 would be good for him.

I think Hinday/Shaw just called out the #23 Porsche for not given a full effort?
Old 27 Aug 2016, 16:10 (Ref:3667860)   #47
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Too bad the pole qualifying can't be super early or super late in the day. The heat will keep the lap times higher.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3667865)   #48
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cracker of a Qing session!

L.P.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3667867)   #49
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Cracker of a Qing session!

L.P.
Agreed. I did not expect the GTLM class to go that fast in that heat.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3667872)   #50
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The tires held up. Probably using at least a medium compound. Too hot to use softs. Vette was the class in qualifying, lets see if it stays that way in the race. Not too delighted to see the Audi/Lambo fest in GTD tbh.