Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Sep 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2284407)   #1
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
ALMS 2009 Discussion

Its about time we kicked off the discussion regarding the prospects for ALMS in 2009.

Unfortunately The Bear seems pretty pessimistic about the factory prototypes see here:

http://murphythebear.com/blog/

Is he implying the Audi is unlikely to come back as a Factory team?
Old 8 Sep 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2284915)   #2
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I adore Bear but doesn't make much sense since they finally get some competition next year in P1. To concentrate solely on LMS or new car development?

Looks like Bear is also implying Penske pulls out. But that would not be breaking news...
Old 8 Sep 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2284963)   #3
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
For the IMSA, returning to SNAFU, is status quo.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 21:31 (Ref:2285082)   #4
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'll wait for Audi's announcement but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't continue, unfortunately, I was surprised that they did this year.

GT2 may be looking good though, as long as not too many drop out. I hope the Vantage programme is still there and with the new Corvette GT2s and BMWs there may be a lot of variety.

I'm still a little hopeful of a GA drop out or two to join (or rejoin) ALMS but can't see it with the recent news.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2285109)   #5
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies
I'm still a little hopeful of a GA drop out or two to join (or rejoin) ALMS but can't see it with the recent news.
I'd hate to see them leave GA, as they are my favourite team there and it would possibly take quite a bit of excitement out of watching GA, but I wouldn't bet the farm on AJR returning come Daytona next year. Their contract with Ruby Tuesday is running out and has suppossedly not been renewed, so I guess they'll race wherever a potential new sponsor wants them to race.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2285117)   #6
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I interpreted the Bear as referring largely to Penske in his latest post - about the departure of a factory program, at least. There are multiple references that all point towards Penske and Porsche. This does not invalidate the possibility of Audi not returning, but given that they are known to be building a new car and refreshing their driver lineup, a complete program contraction at this time would be a little strange. Could they not run a full schedule? I cannot help but think that when the 'official programs' of 2 manufacturers is quoted in that way, we could also be talking about Ferrari (Risi is a heavily factory-supported team, I believe).

Teams that will be leaving - Penske, AGR (?), Risi (?)...more?

Teams that will be staying - Highcroft, De Ferran, Fernandez, Intersport, Corsa, Corvette (in some way, shape or form), Farnbacher-Loles, Flying Lizard (?), Dyson (?), Tafel (?). Hmm. Troubling times indeed, but we go through this every year.

Last edited by cmk; 8 Sep 2008 at 22:23.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2285128)   #7
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
I'd hate to see them leave GA, as they are my favourite team there and it would possibly take quite a bit of excitement out of watching GA, but I wouldn't bet the farm on AJR returning come Daytona next year. Their contract with Ruby Tuesday is running out and has suppossedly not been renewed, so I guess they'll race wherever a potential new sponsor wants them to race.
The person I talked to, suggested their only current plans were to support the IMSA GT3 Cup car they are currently running. It would be a shame to lose AJR after all of their years.

I believe Audi will be back in some form next year, though I'm not sure what that will be.

I think we'll lose a few entries, and gain a few entries, but in the end be about where we were this year, maybe a couple short.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 22:47 (Ref:2285136)   #8
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anything I would expect the R15 to at least be at Sebring, maybe keep the R10s for the few races then bring an R15 back after Le Mans?

I think Dyson is a guarentee to stay.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2285137)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Numbers maybe similar, even a little down, but Acura and Corsa joining P1 and BMW and GM(?) in GT2 is a step in the right direction, especially if Penske moving on (for now) helps P2 attract privateers longer term.

Last edited by JAG; 8 Sep 2008 at 22:57.
Old 8 Sep 2008, 23:35 (Ref:2285154)   #10
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
If anything I would expect the R15 to at least be at Sebring, maybe keep the R10s for the few races then bring an R15 back after Le Mans?
We know that Audi can easily support programmes on both sides of the pond. A problem might be availability of new chassis, and it could very well happen that they decide not to bother with the R10 anymore, especially if it looks like the Acuras are faster.
The best thing they could do would be to make sure they have two new cars racing in Europe and two in the US. A new car should be run in as many races as possible before Le Mans to avoid any surprises.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2285176)   #11
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Numbers maybe similar, even a little down, but Acura and Corsa joining P1 and BMW and GM(?) in GT2 is a step in the right direction, especially if Penske moving on (for now) helps P2 attract privateers longer term.
Maybe losing Penske and 2 top Acura teams from P2 helps it be a little more attractive to privateers, but the loss of the Penske organization is a big blow to the ALMS as a whole. Before Roger entered, we had not seen a prototype effort with the quality in all areas to match or exceed Audi since the BMW LMRs left after 2000. Having a team like Penske raised the bar in the ALMS and raised the stature of the series within the motorsport world. I would unreservedly state that Penske remaining in the series in some form is always going to be preferable to losing them.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2285210)   #12
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 'maybe' calendar for 2009 (it will look familiar)

3/21 - Sebring
4/4 - St Petersburg (w/ IndyCar)
4/18 - Long Beach (w/ IndyCar)
5/10 or 5/17 - Miller MP
7/11 - Lime Rock
7/25 - Road America
8/8 - Mid Ohio (w/ IndyCar)
8/29 - Mosport
9/5 - Detroit (w/ IndyCar)
10/3 - Petit Le Mans
10/17 - Laguna Seca

Mid Ohio moves back 3 weeks and Road America moves ahead 2 weeks... the IndyCar schedule has already been announced.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 01:48 (Ref:2285216)   #13
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Hope Risi doesn't leave even if Salo and Melo go elsewhere, GT2 is going to be even better next year!!
Old 9 Sep 2008, 01:59 (Ref:2285224)   #14
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Maybe losing Penske and 2 top Acura teams from P2 helps it be a little more attractive to privateers, but the loss of the Penske organization is a big blow to the ALMS as a whole. Before Roger entered, we had not seen a prototype effort with the quality in all areas to match or exceed Audi since the BMW LMRs left after 2000. Having a team like Penske raised the bar in the ALMS and raised the stature of the series within the motorsport world. I would unreservedly state that Penske remaining in the series in some form is always going to be preferable to losing them.
I would agree with that, but I also think the time for Penske/Porsche in P-2 has passed!

L.P.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 01:59 (Ref:2285225)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
If Audi, Penske, and Risi all left...that is a loss whatever you look at it, although, at least, there are things like a strengthened P1 and BMW in GT2 to make it more survivable.

What is the deal with the torture that is GT1? Going to be three cars once more?
Old 9 Sep 2008, 02:05 (Ref:2285228)   #16
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Well hopefully if Corvette leave then all the privateers will jump back in.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 02:10 (Ref:2285229)   #17
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats wishful thinking, but it's not that simple. There aren't many GT1 teams or cars out there, save for the odd used C6.R, DBR9, or outdated Saleen or Murcielago.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 02:20 (Ref:2285231)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
For the last couple of years I've been getting increasingly of the mindset that the best thing for the ALMS could simply be to get rid of GT1 altogether (thus GT2 becomes simply GT). If there could be a viable GT3 field produced to fill GT1's void, well, why not have that (better than only GT[2])?

It would be lovely to have a strong GT1 field, but I'm not convinced there is anything like enough interest in the ALMS context to make it viable. Having said that, I am far from a font of wisdom in this regard. If others can show me why this is an incorrect belief to have, well, that would truly make my day.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 06:55 (Ref:2285304)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbert82
Thats wishful thinking, but it's not that simple. There aren't many GT1 teams or cars out there, save for the odd used C6.R, DBR9, or outdated Saleen or Murcielago.
Outdated Saleen ..... that car is as fast as a privateer Corvette or Aston , when run by the right team , same goes for the Lambo , on a good day though .
Old 9 Sep 2008, 09:21 (Ref:2285392)   #20
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
For the last couple of years I've been getting increasingly of the mindset that the best thing for the ALMS could simply be to get rid of GT1 altogether (thus GT2 becomes simply GT). If there could be a viable GT3 field produced to fill GT1's void, well, why not have that (better than only GT[2])?
I agree. The ACO doesn't...
Old 9 Sep 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2285474)   #21
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
I interpreted the Bear as referring largely to Penske in his latest post - about the departure of a factory program, at least. There are multiple references that all point towards Penske and Porsche.
Except that "the silver may have a cloudy lining".
Old 9 Sep 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2285672)   #22
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Outdated Saleen ..... that car is as fast as a privateer Corvette or Aston , when run by the right team , same goes for the Lambo , on a good day though .
I didn't say it was slow, just old as the hills
Old 9 Sep 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2286135)   #23
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
Except that "the silver may have a cloudy lining".
The bear has said that people often read too much into his wordplay. I could be wrong, but I think that could be a stretch to designate that phrase as referring directly to Audi. After all, I cannot think of any more suitable phrases to reference even ignoring the reference to the colour silver.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2286153)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audi are building a new P1, have spent many years encouraging major manufacturer's to enter the class, and have supported the ALMS for almost a decade.

As with the move from the R8 to R10, you have to think Audi and Champion will find a way to race in '09, if only to maintain the series momentum and ensure the P1 class is strong when they are finally ready to run the R15 in the ALMS.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2286920)   #25
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It may be that Audi will continue to run the R10 in ALMS under the Champion flag - at least until after Le Mans - while they develop the new car in Europe.