Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Sep 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2541552)   #51
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
Dear Old Jack le Forte never bothered with tow trucks/trailers and the like drive the Ferrari to Brands Lyden G/Wood etc race/sprint it drive it home, even if it meant changing 24 plugs at each set of lights, another of those never to be replaced characters.
My old accountant as it happens he also had a road going Lola T70 and everytime I went to see him he never wanted to talk about my accounts just his race cars which was OK but I was paying for the appointment! I am still with the same group of accountants after all these years.

Quote:
Spooky, my local used to be called The Load of Hay and theres a trannie that goes in there too. Is 'Load of Hay' rhyming slang or something? If so I must tell my family back in Cornwall as they are Farmers who are always dealing with said loads...
Could be, it is around here thats for sure! Bit of a shame actually as its a nice old pub and the nearest to my house although its not as bad (or good dependant on your persuasion) as it was and it is now safe for straights to go in there unaccompanied by their woman.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2541564)   #52
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yes, and what about the light metallic pink they used on 1600E Cortina and Capri? Called Light Orchid if I remember correctly.

To be fair though you also recall the shades of black Henry used on the models T's......
Old 16 Sep 2009, 05:08 (Ref:2541697)   #53
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Spooky, my local used to be called The Load of Hay and theres a trannie that goes in there too. Is 'Load of Hay' rhyming slang or something? If so I must tell my family back in Cornwall as they are Farmers who are always dealing with said loads...
Tha's nowt as queer as folk
Old 16 Sep 2009, 06:37 (Ref:2541706)   #54
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another pic, this one was at the oldtimer festival at the nurburgring in the old paddock last year
Attached Thumbnails
gdnburg08-06_L.JPG  
Old 16 Sep 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2541726)   #55
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
To be fair though you also recall the shades of black Henry used on the models T's......
I'm not quite that old cheeky young Ghinz! (However it is my birthday today, maybe you should come up here and buy me a pint for your nerve?)
Old 16 Sep 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2541788)   #56
Cameron Winton
Racer

Cameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
slightly off topic but here goes.
My dad can remember the Dennis Poore Dodge parked behind his father's shop in Stenhousemuir when he was up for the hillclimb at Bo'ness. Dennis had some connection with the owner of the hotel opposite. Any chance of it coming up for next year's revival?
I was at a Road America Historic meeting in the mid nineties. Parked at the back of the paddock was an old sixties US van (not sure what kind), painted Mclaren orange with an aerofoil on top and along the side, in the same script as Mclaren used - Can Van Am. Cool
Old 16 Sep 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2542215)   #57
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm not quite that old cheeky young Ghinz! (However it is my birthday today, maybe you should come up here and buy me a pint for your nerve?)

Happy Birthday mate, Il be thinking of you imbibing whilst I am on my nightshift.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:28 (Ref:2542625)   #58
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
My old accountant as it happens he also had a road going Lola T70 and everytime I went to see him he never wanted to talk about my accounts just his race cars which was OK but I was paying for the appointment! I am still with the same group of accountants after all these years.
that might explain why your skint and they're cruising round in posh motors!
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:38 (Ref:2542630)   #59
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Could be but who said I was skint or is it just because I can't justify spending thousands more than I do on the sport? Bit of a tight arse maybe but skint, no way! ;-)
Old 18 Sep 2009, 04:33 (Ref:2543205)   #60
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, a comment I heard at Winton: "racing costs the same now as it did in the '60s - it cost all my money then and it costs all my money now!"
Old 19 Sep 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2543856)   #61
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
this is mine.

Going into the same colours as the racing car in the next 2 weeks. then we can re-fit with some tasteful adornments. 200hp and 5.2 litres of Mopar pulling power for some relaxed cruising to the tracks.

Old 19 Sep 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2543861)   #62
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Al, a comment I heard at Winton: "racing costs the same now as it did in the '60s - it cost all my money then and it costs all my money now!"
Yes I guess there is some truth in that but when you get older you have to keep it under control a bit as you never know what is around the corner, can you imagine loosing your home because you overspent on the lark for example which is why I will spend a limited amount and do what I can within a budget, no I never will be right up the front or do the top histortic meetings thats for sure but as long as you are having a bit of fun within the constrains of a self imposed budget and doing everything yourself even engine and transmission builds plus sleeping in the car at tracks and using your road smoke to tow to meetings. Oh BTW I did manage to get a picture and mention in Octane this week so even on a budget you can be noticed :-)

Dont the Dodge look almost identical to the Chevyvan, who copied who I wonder?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 14:11 (Ref:2543864)   #63
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes I guess there is some truth in that but when you get older you have to keep it under control a bit as you never know what is around the corner, can you imagine loosing your home because you overspent on the lark for example which is why I will spend a limited amount and do what I can within a budget, no I never will be right up the front or do the top histortic meetings thats for sure but as long as you are having a bit of fun within the constrains of a self imposed budget and doing everything yourself even engine and transmission builds plus sleeping in the car at tracks and using your road smoke to tow to meetings. Oh BTW I did manage to get a picture and mention in Octane this week so even on a budget you can be noticed :-)

Dont the Dodge look almost identical to the Chevyvan, who copied who I wonder?
They are similar but side by side you can notice some very big differences.
The most noticable difference is usually the amount of rust present on the chevy compared to the Dodge

I suppose it is difficult to style a rectangular box in a different way.

N.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 14:57 (Ref:2543876)   #64
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah and the superior engine in the chevy! :-)
Old 19 Sep 2009, 15:13 (Ref:2543886)   #65
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
Yeah and the superior engine in the chevy! :-)

no chance.

I'll stick to Fords and Mopars.

The little 318 is a peach
Old 19 Sep 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2543904)   #66
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ha ha no way, unless you bring one out against me in PHTC's and kick the Chevys butt then I may believe you but you won't do that in a piddly 316 you will need need the 440 Hemi then you are talking and as for Fords, well lets just say Drag Racer and owner of EDA the dyno people raced a Ford Maverick for years but gave up on Fords and ended up fitting a Chevy lump under the hood, you know what they say if you can't beat em join em.
Old 19 Sep 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2544090)   #67
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ha ha no way, unless you bring one out against me in PHTC's and kick the Chevys butt then I may believe you but you won't do that in a piddly 316 you will need need the 440 Hemi then you are talking and as for Fords, well lets just say Drag Racer and owner of EDA the dyno people raced a Ford Maverick for years but gave up on Fords and ended up fitting a Chevy lump under the hood, you know what they say if you can't beat em join em.
Al, we talk truck engines here. a Chevy in a truck nah.....when talking petrol engines there is no substitute for Mopar engines. a small block is not bad and indeed as you say when they grow up they all want a 440.......
Old 20 Sep 2009, 07:40 (Ref:2544166)   #68
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I'm outnumbered by the Mopar brigade, help! Mind you I bet they never made 90,000,000 units like they did chevy small blocks!
Old 20 Sep 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2544248)   #69
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
We would have to include the Ecurie Ecosse transporter

Not particularly beautiful, but Allan Moffat's transporter was the first purpose-built one in Australia and done very well.
I wonder if anyone makes a kit truck version of that to go with my car
Old 21 Sep 2009, 03:29 (Ref:2544650)   #70
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Al - was a light-hearted comment, I'd expect he meant all his "play" money. Mind you there have been a few instances out here recently of people going to unusual lengths to fund their motor racing!

Heightswitch is that a luggage pod on the roof of the van??? Would have to wonder why! You could do a replica of the Cannonball Run ambulance LOL As for Chev 350 motors & non-car uses, I remember a speedboat racer saying that they might make a car go fast but in a boat a 350 was a nice social/family ski-boat motor but that was all. He had a Keith Black big block in his race boat...

Tim (I think!) do you mean small-scale or 1:1 scale?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2545365)   #71
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah I know it was but some people as you say have been known to hock up their houses and credit cards to go racing which in my mind is a bit like borrowing money to go on holiday as an awful lot of people do, have a week or so away and spend the next year paying it off, nuts.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 19:47 (Ref:2545368)   #72
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A

1:1, not sure it'd look right in yellow though
Old 21 Sep 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2545452)   #73
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Quote:
Al - was a light-hearted comment, I'd expect he meant all his "play" money. Mind you there have been a few instances out here recently of people going to unusual lengths to fund their motor racing!

Heightswitch is that a luggage pod on the roof of the van??? Would have to wonder why! You could do a replica of the Cannonball Run ambulance LOL As for Chev 350 motors & non-car uses, I remember a speedboat racer saying that they might make a car go fast but in a boat a 350 was a nice social/family ski-boat motor but that was all. He had a Keith Black big block in his race boat...

My little dodge is a lovely old thing. I bought it from a semi retired couple who have travelled all over europe in it. They lived in Florida for 10 years and brought it back with them.

It is currently stripped and going for paint this weekend. I am painting the same colour as the griff replica then its going straight to AAS in newcastle for a nice rumbly exhaust.

I drove it all the way back to Northumberland from Southampton and it just purred up the road. I averaged about 23 on the run too so all in all a much better bet than buying something with a vito or Transporter badge

The most fun was watching cars moving to the wrong lanes on roundabouts thinking they were going to pull around me, Then seeing their faces when without fuss she just raised her peticoat and took off. Priceless.

When it is painted I will fit out inside and hopefully it should look every bit the retro rig in the paddock next year towing this:

Mopars are much better built then those belly buttons anyday

N
Old 22 Sep 2009, 02:57 (Ref:2545636)   #74
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
1:1, not sure it'd look right in yellow though
While that has a pretty unique look, I think a full-on transporter based on any 50's/early 60's truck or bus would work just as well. There are a few out here with a big door in the back of a bus and some ramps similar to the Italian Job!

Al - actually these were more drastic, they have/will end up in the big house!

Heightswitch, I'd imagine you would be able to fit a couple of lpg tanks under it too, to make up some of the economy difference.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2545753)   #75
oldclassiccar
Rookie

oldclassiccar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Winton View Post
slightly off topic but here goes.
My dad can remember the Dennis Poore Dodge parked behind his father's shop in Stenhousemuir when he was up for the hillclimb at Bo'ness. Dennis had some connection with the owner of the hotel opposite. Any chance of it coming up for next year's revival?
Hi Cameron, sorry I only just noticed your reply. Interesting to hear that, could you let me know where this shop was? is it still there? I'd like to take it to some of its former haunts

RJ