Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3410530)   #501
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Montagny is Forbidden Fruit....Dr. Ullrich put it diplomatically at Le Mans in 2011...
Forbidden Fruit?

Dr. Ullrich only said he would never hire him, not that nobody should.
Montagny is fast and seemed like a good endurance driver - I'm surprised he didn't find a seat at Toyota.
Old 25 May 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3410532)   #502
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He said that at Petit Le Mans, not Le Mans...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xipnO9gofhI
Old 25 May 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3410533)   #503
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Forbidden Fruit?

Montagny is fast and seemed like a good endurance driver - I'm surprised he didn't find a seat at Toyota.
I´m surprised he didn´t find any seat, not only Toyota. Neither WTCC, LMP2, DP, SuperGT or GTs.
Old 25 May 2014, 20:05 (Ref:3410534)   #504
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
He said that at Petit Le Mans, not Le Mans...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xipnO9gofhI
I remember this, Dumas rented a car to the airport with Frank
Old 26 May 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3410666)   #505
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did drive with level 5 at laguna seca in 2012 where his over aggressive driving put his hpd and a gtc Porsche in the wall.that was the last time I remember seeig him drive,oh and Le Mans I believe with oak.in p1?
Old 26 May 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3410719)   #506
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Forbidden Fruit?

We didn't need Dr. Ullrich to spell it out. It's obvious why he didn't get a seat at Toyota. The man is fast as Davidson AND French yet Toyota weren't interested. Ever since the guy has struggled to find top rides anywhere. I seriously think the On track behaviour has caused his demise. And if Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich says he won't hire a man on TV, nobody else should either .
Old 26 May 2014, 06:46 (Ref:3410727)   #507
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
If that looked familiar in style... it was made by Andy Blackmore:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3273170&type=1
Car Illustrations only were produced by me for Nissan.
Old 26 May 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3410758)   #508
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Forbidden Fruit?

I could well be gazumped here when Montagny does sign for Nissan, but the implication behind Ullrich's comment was that Montangy isn't worth the trouble. It appears that TMG agree, given that they hired the rest of the "younger" Peugeot drivers apart from Pagenaud, who was already Indy-bound.
Old 26 May 2014, 09:13 (Ref:3410795)   #509
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So what is Montagny doing at the moment??
Old 26 May 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3410799)   #510
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So what is Montagny doing at the moment??
He did the Indianapolis road course Indycar race in the car that Kurt Busch raced in the 500 last night.
Old 26 May 2014, 10:34 (Ref:3410816)   #511
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think he might do some F1 TV work. Seem to see him pop up on the grid a lot during broadcasts. It's strange because, okay he had a few moments (so did McNish etc), but he certainly had the raw pace.

But this isn't the Franck Montagny thread.
Old 26 May 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3410917)   #512
Tim240z
Rookie

United States
Tim240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt mind seeing a Brabham back in a Nissan
Old 28 May 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3411820)   #513
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This isn't about the new P1 but looks as if Nissan could've entered the GT1 GT-R for Le Mans had ACO not killed the class
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/m...rn-to-le-mans/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoichi Miyatani
"We previously developed a GT1 version without finally being able to put it on the track at Le Mans. The car cost us a lot of money and took a lot of time to develop. Unfortunately, GT1 cars were banned shortly after."
They made a mistake by not entering LMGT1 in 2010. Especially as factory team. No excuse of it not being ready either seeing as it had already run in FIA GT 2009 as well as Spa 24 Hours where it completed over 500 laps!

Last edited by Deleted; 28 May 2014 at 13:53.
Old 28 May 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3411847)   #514
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
This isn't about the new P1 but looks as if Nissan could've entered the GT1 GT-R for Le Mans had ACO not killed the class
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/m...rn-to-le-mans/

They made a mistake by not entering LMGT1 in 2010. Especially as factory team. No excuse of it not being ready either seeing as it had already run in FIA GT 2009 as well as Spa 24 Hours where it completed over 500 laps!
Meh... Nissan knew GT1 was dead before they even gave the OK for that car to be built. Even members of the board talked about it at the approval meeting.
Old 28 May 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3411882)   #515
Deleted
Veteran

GT1 wasn't dead yet by 2008 (outside North America that is). Sure it was starting to look gloomy but it wasn't a suicidal decision. As Graham has said, I think the final final nail in the coffin was only the official exclusion from ACO racing.

Anyway they could've entered GT-R for 2009 race already, under official Nismo banner, and got the PR mill brewing. So they missed the possible chance to race twice before the axing of the class. Not doing so was their own fault...
Old 28 May 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3411886)   #516
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Montagny is fast, but he tends to be a "walking freakin' combat zone" on the track. He's always tended to be overaggressive and make questionable, if not at times seemingly flat out bone-headed moves.

It's ironic that an accident that wasn't really his fault lead to teams (aside from Peugeot) distancing themselves from him. But he had built up a rap sheet and that came back to haunt him. He's fast, but sometimes was too aggressive and when the aggression went up, he became a bit of a dart without feathers.
Old 28 May 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3411899)   #517
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is easy for nissan to talk about GT1 now in 2014... the nissan gt-r GT1 had a 5.6 V8 that (barely) could be legal also in GTE without any big waiver... If nismo was interested to take part at le mans with the gt-r, they just had to adapt the GT1 car for GTE specs! no more than a new diffuser, splitter and rear wing were required, basicly the same work that V8 racing did with the C6R GT1 turned in GT2 specs to run in GT-open.
Old 28 May 2014, 17:17 (Ref:3411907)   #518
Deleted
Veteran

Miyatani said nothing of adapting the GT1 car to GTE spec, merely just speaking of the short lifespan for that car's eglibility. And I stated it's sort of a double edged sword, yes the category was killed off which also destroyed their opportunity to race that car in full factory outfit, however they had two opportunities to field that car at Le Mans and they chose not to for some reason. I don't think Nissan LMGT1 involment would have saved the category in ACO racing but it could've at least prolonged it a little bit maybe.

However in the article he does say that they would like to run at Le Mans with slightly modified GT3 GT-R, not build new GTE... I don't get why they haven't attempted to do so already, we know ACO/FIA stopped caring of the rules long ago. And if BMW can turn up wit their GT3 car, slap GTE legals to the side and slightly adjust few minor cosmetic things here and there, it shouldn't be a big task for Nissan either...
Old 29 May 2014, 04:11 (Ref:3412176)   #519
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The reality is the only companies that can afford to run customer GTE programs are Porsche and Ferrari. It's always been and will always will be about them. A big M3 or a GTR will struggle at Le Mans because of the larger frontal area.
Old 29 May 2014, 05:56 (Ref:3412186)   #520
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
However in the article he does say that they would like to run at Le Mans with slightly modified GT3 GT-R, not build new GTE... I don't get why they haven't attempted to do so already, we know ACO/FIA stopped caring of the rules long ago. And if BMW can turn up wit their GT3 car, slap GTE legals to the side and slightly adjust few minor cosmetic things here and there, it shouldn't be a big task for Nissan either...
As far as I know the Z4 doesn't have ACO homologation, even though IIRC they still bothered to BoP it for some reason.
Old 29 May 2014, 07:13 (Ref:3412207)   #521
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
As far as I know the Z4 doesn't have ACO homologation, even though IIRC they still bothered to BoP it for some reason.
I thought it did only to race in alms/tudor and not at Le Mans.
Old 29 May 2014, 08:00 (Ref:3412217)   #522
Deleted
Veteran

Yes but the fact they STILL bothered to BoP it before it ever raced in US tells to me that it was ACO legal. Why would they even include that car on their official committee decision list if it didn't have clarified homologation?

BMW just didn't want to bother with LM again.
Old 29 May 2014, 08:04 (Ref:3412221)   #523
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
BMW just didn't want to bother with LM again.
Agreed. They knew it would get whipped down the straights so thought better of it.
Old 29 May 2014, 08:07 (Ref:3412224)   #524
Deleted
Veteran

They'd could've had better chance this year now that ACO has gone GT3 route on public and done the four day BoP tests at Ladoux. Surely Z4's lack of top line speed would have been 'fixed' accordingly

Last edited by Deleted; 29 May 2014 at 08:13.
Old 29 May 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3412228)   #525
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They'd could've had better chance this year now that ACO has gone GT3 route on public and done the four day BoP tests at Ladoux. Surely Z4's lack of top line speed would have been 'fixed' accordingly
I read that the top speed issue is something that is not easily fixed as it's the cars design that is at fault.
Closed Thread