Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3382421)   #1
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2014 FORMULA 1 PETRONAS MALAYSIA GRAND PRIX

Kuala Lumpur

Race Date: 30 Mar 2014
Circuit Name: Sepang International Circuit
First Grand Prix: 1999
Lap length 5.543km (3.444 miles)
Race laps 56
Race distance 310.408km (192.879 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’34.223 (211.783 kph) by Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004
Fastest lap 1’32.582 (215.536 kph) by Fernando Alonso, 2005
Maximum speed 303kph (188.275 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and final straight
Distance from grid to turn one 650m
Car performance
Full throttle 45%
Longest flat-out section 1029m
Downforce level High
Fuel use per lap 1.7kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.051s
Strategy
Quickest complete pit stop in 2013 20.736s by Red Bull
2014 prime tyre: Hard (2013: Hard)
2014 option tyre: Medium (2013: Medium)

First included in the Formula One World Championship in 1999, the current Malaysian Grand Prix is held at the Sepang International Circuit at Sepang, Malaysia. FIA-sanctioned racing in Malaysia has existed since the 1960s. From 2011, the race has changed its name to the Malaysia Grand Prix.

Last edited by Bononi; 27 Mar 2014 at 01:25.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:06 (Ref:3384952)   #2
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 Formula 1 PETRONAS Malaysia Grand Prix

Race Preview
Formula 1 PETRONAS Malaysia Grand Prix
28-30 MARCH 2014

After a short break Formula One returns this week, the teams assembling at Sepang for the Malaysian Grand Prix, the second round of the 2014 F1 World Championship.

The Australian Grand Prix provided an excellent appetiser for the season ahead, promoting new stars of the sport while suggesting the form guide shaped by winter testing was not entirely to be relied upon. Equatorial Sepang, however, provides a very different environment to Albert Park and is liable to see a very different race as machinery and drivers are pushed to their limits.

While Australia provided a relatively gentle introduction for the new power units, Sepang will take them to extremes. The Malaysian Grand Prix has the potential to be the hottest race of the year and with around two-thirds of the lap conducted at full throttle cooling performance is expected to play a big part this weekend.

Added to that are the traditional challenges of racing at Sepang. While visually dominated by the long pit and back straights, Sepang has great variety, with a twisting middle sector and several high-speed corners requiring a relatively high level of downforce. It also demands excellent traction, with speed onto the straights being a key factor in setting a good lap time.

It is tyres, however, that have a tendency to dictate performance at the Malaysian Grand Prix. Pirelli, as is now customary, will bring its two hardest compounds to the circuit but wear rates are still expected to be high. Of course in Malaysia the ever-present threat of rain means the Intermediate and Wet tyres could also see some use.

SEPANG CIRCUIT

Length of lap:
5.543km
Lap record
1:34.223 (Juan-Pablo Montoya,
BMW-Williams, 2004)

Start line/finish line offset
0.000km
Total number of race laps
Total race distance
310.408km
Pitlane speed limits
80km/h in practice, qualifying and the race

CIRCUIT NOTES
The kerb on the exit of Turn Five has been extended further towards the apex of Turn Six.
Artificial grass has been removed from areas around the outside of Turns One, Five, Seven, Eight and 12.
A new kerb has been installed on the Turn 15 entry.

DRS ZONES
The DRS sectors will be between Turns 14 and 15 and Turns 15 and One. The first zone has detection 54m after Turn 12 and activation 104m after Turn 14. Zone two has detection 16m after the Turn 15 apex followed by activation 28m after Turn 15.

Malaysian GP Fast Facts

Michael Schumacher ((2000, ’01, ’04), Fernando Alonso (2005, ’07, ’12) and Sebastian Vettel (2010, ’11, ’13), each have three victories at Sepang. From 15 Malaysian Grands Prix the other winners are Eddie Irvine (1999), Ralf Schumacher (2002), Kimi Räikkönen (2003, ’08), Giancarlo Fisichella (2006) and Jenson Button (2009). Alonso has the distinction of taking his three victories with three different teams.

Button’s win in 2009 was the last Formula One race in which half points were awarded. Due to torrential rain, the race was red flagged after 31 laps and a restart was not possible. Button was awarded the victory and the five points that went with it.

Eight of the 15 grands prix at Sepang have been won from pole. The race has been won from as far down as eighth (Alonso 2012), while podium finishers have come from as far down as tenth (Nick Heidfeld 2005, ’09).

Of the three 2014 F1 rookie drivers, only Kevin Magnussen lacks significant experience at Sepang. Marcus Ericsson raced in 2012 and 2013, appearing in the GP2 Series on the grand prix undercard. He has two retirements and two 13th place finishes. Daniil Kvyat has raced at Sepang on six occasions across two events in Formula BMW Pacific. He has two victories at the circuit.

Magnussen’s elevation to second place at the Australia Grand Prix makes his the most successful F1 World Championship debut since Jacques Villeneuve finished second at Albert Park in 1996 (Villeneuve started the race from pole). The only drivers to better this are Giancarlo Baghetti, who won the 1961 French Grand Prix on debut and (statistically) Nino Farina and Johnnie Parson, who won respectively the 1950 British Grand Prix and the 1950 Indy 500 in the first year of the Formula One World Championship.

With a ninth-place finish in Australia, Toro Rosso’s Kvyat, aged 19 years and 324 days, became Formula One’s youngest points scorer. The record had previously been held by Sebastian Vettel, who was 19 years and 349 days when he finished seventh in his mid-season debut at the 2007 United States Grand Prix, driving for BMW-Sauber.

After much speculation regarding the reliability of F1’s new hybrid power units, 15 cars took the chequered flag in the season-opener. Of the seven that failed to finish in Albert Park, two went out in a first lap, first corner collision. Only five cars retired with issues related to the power unit.

Following the disqualification of Daniel Ricciardo, the revised Australian Grand Prix podium was a clean sweep for Mercedes-powered cars, with Nico Rosberg in the works team car leading home the McLaren-Mercedes of Magnussen and Button. The last Mercedes clean sweep was at the 2012 Chinese Grand Prix where Rosberg took his debut victory ahead of McLaren’s Button and Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3385028)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't wait for this. Sepang always seems to throw up a good race.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3385196)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Fingers crossed for a good close race
Old 27 Mar 2014, 16:28 (Ref:3385210)   #5
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I can't wait for this. Sepang always seems to throw up a good race.
Me too, but 25%-75% more.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3385287)   #6
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sepang is a decent track. It's the only Tilkedrome - apart from Austin - that I actually like. Let us that we have a good race there. Be interesting to see if both Vettel and Hamilton's cars make it to the end.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3385317)   #7
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant wait personally.

The Malaysian GP often is a great race and it always has that threat of heavy rain. Which as we all know can often lead to major drama's.

I think its a case of we need neither or both Mercedes to finish. I still believe they will be way faster than anyone else at Sepang.

Mercedes- I think it should be a 1-2, but the heat could well cause problems and Lewis really needs to make sure he finishes with some points. Another retirement and potential Rosberg win would mean a 50 point swing to Nico very early. Of course both could retire and throw up a made scrap for the win.
However if both keep running I think Lewis might edge this one and pull some points back.

McLaren - I reckon McLaren could win a race soon, if both Mercedes retire, and they done a great job in Australia. I think Jenson will be worried about Kev's speed and think both Mclarens will have a good chance of getting another podium.

Ferrari- They struggled in Australia with electrical issues (as I remember. Might be wrong), but it appears again that Ferrari have a car that's not brilliantly fast. I had hoped that they would be right up there, but I fear that once again it will be a points season rather than a winning season.

Williams - I am really looking forward to them the most this weekend. They seemed fast and reliable and but for wet qualifying that saw them 8th and 9th or whatever. I really hope the qualifying up the front and maybe if they are still the second fastest car, if Mercedes retire then maybe just maybe there is a win in it.

Red Bull - Who knows. They were fast and unreliable in Australia so you can take any guess on which will turn up in Kuala Lumpar. I am sure Vettel will be back up the front soon.

Force India- Disappointed me in Australia as they were not quite as fast as I had hoped. I still see Hulkenberg as beating Perez.

Sauber - Pretty uninspiring stuff really. Expect more of the same really.

Toro Rosso - They surprised me. I expected them to run down the field, but actually matched faster cars pace. I don't really feel much about them. I guess they will pick up some minor points throughout the season

Marussia - Chilton did a great job in Australia and I still believe they will score a point somewhere. Could be Malaysia with the heat and rain.

Caterham - Hope they can solve the break problems and allow Kobayashi to not plough into half of the field. I can see Kobayashi mixing it with faster cars early on in races this season.

Lotus - Well they were a complete shambles in Round 1. However 30 and 45 odd laps was actually not bad in the end. You have to wonder about Lotus situation this season if this was allowed to happen. Hopefully this weekend they get some meaningful running on Friday and can finish the race maybe.

So I personally still think we could be looking at 10-14 cars finishing this weekend. What with heat and potential downpours.

Cant wait to find out.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3385389)   #8
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
F1 Spotter Guide updatd

The Ten-Tenths supported F1 Spotter Guide has been updated for the Malaysian GP this weekend. Updated liveries and new information added including FIA 3Letter driver Code and the Camera Colour ID.

The guide also includes the sponsorship which will appear on the McLaren sidepod this weekend, ahead of an official announcement thanks to 2 helpful people in the paddock!!!

....I suppose you will have to download to look

Download at http://www.spotterguides.com/portfolio/2014-formula/

note, the filename does change with updates, so if you want to share a link, please link to the page and not the guides - Thanks
Old 28 Mar 2014, 02:36 (Ref:3385408)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Long live Standard Oil!
Old 28 Mar 2014, 04:28 (Ref:3385428)   #10
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track map reminds me of pacman after a night on the booze...

Wonder if the monsoon rains will mix things up again.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 05:27 (Ref:3385435)   #11
321Go
Veteran

FP1 report via Formula1.com.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 06:17 (Ref:3385441)   #12
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 28 Mar 2014, 06:34 (Ref:3385445)   #13
keynetz
Rookie

keynetz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi , i got 3pc of f1 petronas malaysia grand prix main grandstand sapphire ticket to let go. if anyone interested, please give ur best price to me. whatsapp/message 0132803770- netz . pick up at f1 sepang @ petronas nearby @ komuter @ erl station. tq 10tenths..
Old 28 Mar 2014, 07:36 (Ref:3385456)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bruno Senna on Sky reckoned Ferrari and Red Bull are looking after their tyres better than McLaren and Williams, so might edge it.

Lotus look useless.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3385470)   #15
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Bruno Senna on Sky reckoned Ferrari and Red Bull are looking after their tyres better than McLaren and Williams, so might edge it.
Ferrari and Red Bull seem to have made a big leap forward since Australia. Kimi looking the goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Lotus look useless.
Yep. Maybe their hoping the Proton badging will take the focus off "Lotus".
Old 28 Mar 2014, 08:29 (Ref:3385474)   #16
321Go
Veteran

FP2 review.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3385519)   #17
321Go
Veteran

Sebastian Vettel has to change yet another CE PSU, his third for the season. Only three more and he get's a ten spot grid penalty. Not bad after just one round completed. Eighteen more to go.

And Ricciardo is still having fuel flow meter issues. Oh dear.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3385539)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the double intro. Malaysia can produce an interesting race, let's see what it can deliver this year.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3385681)   #19
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is with the BBC commentators and the relentless chatter? An entire onboard lap there with Daniel Ricciardo and they nattered away the entire time. Aren't they watching? Take a breath once in a while and give us the odd onboard. One even.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 17:18 (Ref:3385716)   #20
marc sproule
Racer

marc sproule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
What is with the BBC commentators and the relentless chatter? An entire onboard lap there with Daniel Ricciardo and they nattered away the entire time. Aren't they watching? Take a breath once in a while and give us the odd onboard. One even.
be thankful you don't have to listen to leigh diffey prattle on.

"front nose" is one that drives me crazy,

and then there's will buxton, the world's most excitable sycophant.

at least he doesn't get as much airtime as diffey.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3385772)   #21
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting sessions. Lotus appear to be in real trouble. I hoped they may have made a step forward this weekend, but the car is just as bad.

I mean its slow and unreliable that's about as bad as it gets for a racing car.

Does anyone else think FP1 and FP2 saw the teams taking it quite easy? It felt to me all the cars were only running at 80% and thus the real times and positions might be different come tomorrow.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3385824)   #22
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
It is being broadcast on BBC Radio. The TV coverage is almost a bonus and isn't always available in the domestic market, though we always get it in Canada (without the bits in the pitlane that are filmed by BBC and not world feed). If you don't chatter relentlessly on radio, it makes for rather poor coverage.

If you watch a Sky practice broadcast, you'll note they frequently shut up to enjoy an onboard or a complete lap.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3385829)   #23
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Sebastian Vettel has to change yet another CE PSU, his third for the season. Only three more and he get's a ten spot grid penalty. Not bad after just one round completed. Eighteen more to go.
CE PSU????
Old 29 Mar 2014, 03:02 (Ref:3385898)   #24
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
CE PSU????
Control Electronic Power Supply Unit.

Vettel is on his third unit.

Each competitor as five PU's (which consists of six separate items) for the full season as stated under Article 28.4 of the 2014 sporting Regulations.
Old 29 Mar 2014, 06:15 (Ref:3385932)   #25
321Go
Veteran

McLaren in a spot of bother. Both cars out of FP3. Both could possibly miss qualifying.