Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 10 Oct 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3678957)   #1
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best historic sim currently available?

I've just been asked by a friend about what is the best sim available that replicates historic racing? I am a bit out of touch with sim racing developments of the last few years so does anyone have any views?

There is obviously GPL but that is getting rather long in the tooth. I was a big fan of F1 1955 for Rfactor and the 60s historic content in Rfactor 2 but has anything bettered those in the last couple of years?
Old 11 Oct 2016, 08:59 (Ref:3679242)   #2
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's lots of sims that have dribs and drabs of content, but nothing that did full seasons like GPL.

Assetto Corsa, pCARs and iRacing also have historic cars. I think AC has a couple of historic tracks too.

Game Stock Car (or whatever it's called now) has a bunch of historic F1 cars and historic Brazilian touring cars.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 06:54 (Ref:3679469)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
THe only problem with Iracing OP is you have to pay per month to race,

The others have a few historic cars, but not many, most of them are DLC that has to be paid for over the price of the game, especially PCARS and AC, although the prices are decent, if you want all of it you are looking at probably 15 quid on top of the game.

Plus you would need a decent gaming PC to run both to any great level of detail.
Old 12 Oct 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3679599)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm also getting tee'd off waiting for some more DLC for PCars......
Old 12 Oct 2016, 20:46 (Ref:3679626)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They probably wont bother now, too interested in the new game. lets hope they learn the huge lessons they ought to for that.
Old 17 Oct 2016, 07:03 (Ref:3680841)   #6
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pretty sure pCARS is over and they're onto pCARS2. I'm more miffed the absolute state they left the Xbox version in, more than missing DLC if I'm honest.

I actually continued playing it again recently and got quite far on, but gave up when I got to the LMP2 World Championship and had to drive the full Ring. It wasn't fun in the LMP2, and the AI were glued over the bumps. Some very odd design choices for a "sim".
Old 26 Oct 2016, 03:26 (Ref:3682892)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've recently got in to GT Legends and I like it. There's also plenty of content for rFactor.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 10:18 (Ref:3682941)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Bloody hell David you are what is called late to the party!

If you actually bought GT Legends, you can get a very large mod with loads of extra cars for Rfactor that uses the self same game. So you get tons of liveries, far better sounds and some real improvements over the original game.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 10:48 (Ref:3682954)   #9
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Bloody hell David you are what is called late to the party!

If you actually bought GT Legends, you can get a very large mod with loads of extra cars for Rfactor that uses the self same game. So you get tons of liveries, far better sounds and some real improvements over the original game.
Is HistoriX still being developed? I worked on that years ago, churning out hundreds of liveries. Great guys to work with.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3682965)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Yes mate, I think that is the one I am on about, not sure they are still working on it, possibly trying to get it onto RF2.

They had a lot of issues with the idiots at rfactor central (and simraceway) who gradually ruined the modding community and put it out to solely forums and torrents, which made it harder to access some of the later great mods
Old 26 Oct 2016, 11:18 (Ref:3682971)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I miss those days. Those were simpler times!

Hosting was the big issue we had for mods we did as we simply couldn't afford it. Sites like Rapidshare and Megaupload would come and go and have limitations. Torrents were horrible. It was a pain. Hope they're still around - it's nice hearing names from the past pop up again!
Old 26 Oct 2016, 14:33 (Ref:3683042)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The mod was probably in the top 5 of mods on RF to be honest.

Was certainly up there, but in reality all they did was massively patch an existing game, so not really a mod!

The gear grinder thing was a damn pain, as was the weird effects of not being able to load it properly initially, but that aside some of the cars were great fun to drive, especially the big Yank stuff which once you mastered them were a dream on a tight twisty track!
Old 26 Oct 2016, 15:24 (Ref:3683065)   #13
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
That was a fun mod to work on.

How historic do we have to go? I'd also recommend CART Factor for the 1998 CART Season. I did a lot of texture work on that and enjoyed.