Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Oct 2010, 08:14 (Ref:2777801)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2010 - Your favourite Meeting/Race

Now that we are virtually at the end of the 2010 racing season, time to reminisce over the past year of Historic racing. It would be interesting to learn from you all, whether you are entrant, racer, marshal, photographer or spectator, what your favourite meeting was and what specific race you most enjoyed. They could, of course, be at separate venues. The only request from me is that if you nominate LMC, Spa 6 hours, Silverstone Classic, or Goodwood Revival as your preference, it would be good if you also identified your favourite less significant meeting.

Off the top of my head, LMC (my first time, there) was special, my favourite meeting in the UK was probably the HSCC's Autosport 3 Hours at Snetterton, although in terms of fun and camaraderie the 360MRC, also at Snetterton, ran it close, all the more astonishing given the grid size, and my favourite race, or at least the one freshest in my memory, was the recent Guards Trophy race at HSCC's Silverstone Finals. I guess if I put further thought into it, I might come up with a different list, but, in the meantime, what about yours? I still think that my favourite circuit is Cadwell, a beautiful setting and a lot of great unobstructed views.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2777914)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although I have not entered many races this year two stand out for me - as a meeting the Castle Combe HSCC meeting. I shared my car with my 18 year old son and we did alright. Watching him have a moment in the last corner was a little concerning but watching him take the flag at the end of the race was superb. We plan to do it more often next season.
As a race the final Guards at Silverstone was superb - I had a great race with 3 others the whole race. However as we have 2 more races (we have entered the Walter Hayes closed wheel races) the season is not yet over!!
Old 21 Oct 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2777929)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Le Mans Classic in first catagory

HSCC May in second catagory
Old 21 Oct 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2777936)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly in May I was still of a mind to sell my Merlyn so I missed it - fortunately I have now come to my senses!!
Old 21 Oct 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2777968)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good man, Simon!
Old 21 Oct 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2778024)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
best meeting - EifelRennen
best race - Club 360 6 hours
Old 21 Oct 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2778037)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I haven't been to much this year due to time and money but have enjoyed pretty much all of it.

The Chomondley Pageant of Power was pretty special. Not racing, but some pretty mouthwatering machinery to drool over.

The Etretat Hillclimb was interesting, but I'd like to leave the family at home so I can stay for the whole weekend instead of a just couple of hours.

I'm off to Mallory on Sunday for the Masters saloon car finale and am hopefully getting to the WHT so will see what happens
Old 21 Oct 2010, 18:05 (Ref:2778040)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From everything I've attended this year,so far,the 360 rates very very high. Long time since such enthusiasm has been shown from competitor's ,marshal's and spectators alike.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2778081)   #9
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have to say the classic race at the Nurburgring 24 hrs this year purely because I got to see and hear an M1 Procar in full flight for the 1st time.
Old 21 Oct 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2778130)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
5th - 6th June Classic Touring Car Racing Club Group 1 race where I actually led for a few seconds after hooking up well and getting a fantastic start and finished 3rd from 17 starters, my best result to date.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 08:42 (Ref:2778294)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Dun no yet still racing.Don't think this weekend at Monteblanco will be very memorable but two weeks time we tackle the 750 mile at Nurburgring so will report in then. At the moment Monza in the 17 passing an 1500 11 on last lap stands out..My lowest time in 2010 was the Delta truck breaking down in March.Just about recovered from that but not the bill from Mercedes garage.Happy days.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 09:42 (Ref:2778324)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best meeting for me was the Silverstone Classic. But then I have a different agenda ;-)

Best (only) car race was the 360.
Old 22 Oct 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2778398)   #13
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Not really got to much Historic this year.
So it would have to be VSCC Loton Park Hillclimb.
Lovely machinery, and some of it very well pedalled.

I dropped the Silverstone Classic this year, as the Saturday evening Group 4/5/6/CanAm race got dropped. I had no desire to watch Abarths.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 08:29 (Ref:2778784)   #14
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Favourite meeting was the Classic once again. The entry, the racing and above all the access to see the cars in their garages/paddocks.

Best race by some distance this season was the HSCC Touring cars on the Sunday of the International Trophy meeting.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2778902)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
LMC, a fabulous week

had some good races with the CTRC as well, they're very under rated for what they do.
Old 23 Oct 2010, 22:20 (Ref:2779099)   #16
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably the best historic meeting I attended in 2010 was the HSCC meeting at Croft for its combination of good racing and atmosphere. Also it represented a new circuit for me, which was a bit of a bonus.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2779699)   #17
cyrilmac
Rookie

cyrilmac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tho' not quite on topic..
Mallory wednesday mornings have been truly outstanding - the variety and attitude of the drivers and teams to us spectators has been brilliant and much appreciated.
Thank you all!
An MP4 at Mallory ...
Old 24 Oct 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2779800)   #18
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic racing today? being not a driver, but still involved, probably as such, an opinion dose not realy count, got to be any Goodwood Revival, though the Christies/Coys were also memorable. Top race's ever involved? it has to be the Targa Florio, age does have it's priviledges, and the generation's sinced it ceased have been denied a spectical and ambiance second to none, followed closely by Spa 1000kms, Spa as it was and should still be.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 06:47 (Ref:2780025)   #19
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren Festival - New Zealand...

New circuit - Hampton Downs January. Spectator and competitor friendly. Massive entry. Bliss... About 120 cars from overseas plus about 300 locals.

Who really wants to be in the UK January when you could be in the sun...
Old 25 Oct 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2780293)   #20
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
New circuit - Hampton Downs January. Spectator and competitor friendly. Massive entry. Bliss... About 120 cars from overseas plus about 300 locals.

Who really wants to be in the UK January when you could be in the sun...
There are several expletives that could describe the above remarks, but Mr Turner's blue pencil would ruin the effect, so good on yer....memories of the Tasman..
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2780331)   #21
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a general race meeting it has to be The Revival.

However from a "Nick JM as a driver (I have waited 20 years to say that!!) the International Trophy at Silverstone. Firstly I was enetering my second ever race AND it was on the GP circuit (Hangar Straight was a bit of a screamer in the 'B) AND I had a fabulous race with 3 other novices.

I don't know if any of them are 10thers but there was a Turner (Simon was that your son?), a Lenham bodied Spitfire an MGBGT and me in the 'B. Sod the rest of the grid ..we had a magnificent time at the back nip and tuck at each corner with positions swapping all the time.

Fabulous people and great memories.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2780662)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
Historic racing today? being not a driver, but still involved, probably as such, an opinion dose not realy count, got to be any Goodwood Revival, though the Christies/Coys were also memorable. Top race's ever involved? it has to be the Targa Florio, age does have it's priviledges, and the generation's sinced it ceased have been denied a spectical and ambiance second to none, followed closely by Spa 1000kms, Spa as it was and should still be.
Of course, your opinion counts. You get mine, whether you like it or not, and I'm not a driver! However as the thread title indicates, it was your favourite(s) from this year, I was looking for.

I guess we could start a thread about our favourite Historic meeting of all time, but I'd really struggle to nail just one (or even several) down.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2780678)   #23
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would say HSCC International Trophy in May, as good if not better than SC in many ways. Spa 6hrs was also a highlight and trying to drive the junior in the wet there was challenging to say the least, ended up taking off my glasses because I couldnt see! Also enjoyed watching 6hrs for couple of hrs at Eau Rouge. Cadwell Park in April was great until gearbox exploded, mega circuit. Must take the FF2000 there next year.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2780728)   #24
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
International Trophy for the racing, Snet 3 hour for spectating.

Very underwhelmed by the BTCC finals at Brands, what is all the fuss about?

Racing apart, SC had a real buzz in the paddock, but I wish I could have also spectated at the big engine touring car races, they must have been great to watch. What a shame there was no tv coverage this year.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2780740)   #25
acespeed72
Rookie

United Kingdom
shipley
acespeed72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite event of the year for me was Donington Revived was a great event from beginning to end. But must say all the events ihave done this year have been very good.