Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Aug 2000, 01:24 (Ref:34133)   #1
Saph
Rookie

Saph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi!

I am going to participate in a track day in the very near future, at Donno or Oulton Park. As this will be my first track day, I am interested in any opinions etc of the above tracks i.e. which is best suited to a beginner, tips for the day itself and the track.

I have been reliably told that 1m30s is a good time for Donno....is this realistic for a beginner? Yes I know racing/timekeeping is not allowed and I certainly won't be 'racing' anyone......it's just that the day will be vid cammed and so approx times can be worked out from this.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 31 Aug 2000, 08:10 (Ref:34167)   #2
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Saph

Welcome to 10/10ths you might want to pop this question in the racers forum they might know the answer - alternately perhaps one of our racing gurus can answer this Mr Mallett?

Cheers
Andy H
Old 31 Aug 2000, 10:08 (Ref:34187)   #3
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Use the instructors which the event organisers should provide for your first track day - do not worry about times - whoever told you 1:30 is winding you up unless you are driving a single seater with about 500 bhp which seems unlikely for your first track day - Donington is slightly more forgiving than Oulton
Old 31 Aug 2000, 10:09 (Ref:34188)   #4
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can probably answer this one reasonably well. Especially as I actually organise trackdays for a car club

The first question was location. Go for Donnington, Oulton is a tricky circuit with little runoff and a narrow track. For a novice trackday person Donnington has a high grip surface, acres of runoff and enough corners to keep you occupied.

As for lap times around Donnington, you haven't said what car it is. But assuming it's a <2.0 litre road car then if you get anywhere near 1.30 I'll be amazed. In Grp1 the class D lap record is held by a Golf GTi in full race trim with a 1:31.13. Anyway that's not the point - if this is your first track day then all thoughts of lap times should be banished from your head. as you said its not a race, asuming other cars will be on the track, you have a duty of care to respect other folks. That means not overstretching yourself, drive within your own capabilities. Ignore lap times, they're for racers.

Key points for preparing your car or a track day:

1) Ensure it's in tiptop condition. That means brakes, steering and fluids. The G-forces around corners can find oil leaks you never knew you had!
2) Inflate your tyres 2-3psi above normal. This stiffens the side wall and improves high speed running.
3) You *will* get through a couple of mm of tyre wear.
4) Make sure your oil is on max but no more. Oil surge is bad butcrankcase compression can beworse.
5) Only put 3/4 of a tank of petrol in. It will slosh all over your paintwork/track through the breather hole in your cap if you fill it to the brim. Petrol won't be sold on site at a trackday, but go out at lunchtime for more if necessary.

Any more questions, just ask
Old 31 Aug 2000, 10:59 (Ref:34193)   #5
Saph
Rookie

Thanks for that, I'll also put any more questions in the 'racers' forum now that I know.

I'll be driving a midly modified Sapphire Cosworth.

I heard that Donno was more forgiving than Oulton Park but I thought I'd ask you guys as you seem to know your stuff.

I certainly will not be racing or trying for lap times, no worries there......it's just that when I get home, you know, i'll watch the tape to see how I went. Other drivers safety will be of paramount importance, as it should be.

Cheers.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 11:14 (Ref:34195)   #6
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Saph
Take the guys advice and go to Donington, I did my first test day there and the walls are a long way away from the black stuff.
Watch your mirrors for faster guys but don't let it distract you too much, you've paid to be there as well and if you stick to your line and don't do anything unexpected, they'll find their way by.
Forget about times, you'll never do anything on a track day that is meaningful to you or the car. Have fun and remember not to lift off the throttle once you have committed the car to the Craner Curves!
RickP:Clio33
Old 31 Aug 2000, 23:12 (Ref:34307)   #7
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

APGUY,

You may organise for a club but when was the last report from you in the club mag?
Old 1 Sep 2000, 00:44 (Ref:34332)   #8
Saph
Rookie

Rick P, thanks......about lifting off in Craner Curves, are you warning against lift off oversteer? With my car being RWD, I'd assume it would not be prone to this.....please correct if I am because I just want to learn!
I have heard that Craner Curves are a really enjoyable and challenging part of the circuit.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 09:25 (Ref:34376)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saph, if the option is offered to you I strongly recommend that you take an experienced driver/instructor with you in the car, you will learn more in 10 minutes with one of these guys than you would learn in several days on your own.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 09:51 (Ref:34377)   #10
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally, we would be talking about lift off oversteer and that would be a problem for front wheel drive cars mainly.
But the Craners are adverse camber and any change in attitude of the car can cause it to come unstuck. So be very progressive and if the back end starts to move don't make a sudden reaction like lifting the throttle.
As the guys have said, make use of the instructors and have fun.
RickP
Old 1 Sep 2000, 20:07 (Ref:34440)   #11
Saph
Rookie

Cheers!
Old 3 Sep 2000, 00:33 (Ref:34686)   #12
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not an experienced racing driver but I've done a driving experience at Silverstone (sorry, not Donington!) and I definitely back up David's advice about taking an experienced driver if you have never done this before. It REALLY does benefit you. Chris, the guy who took me round Silverstone was superb and really taught me well. One advice I would give from a complete novice is, take it slow to start off with, get used to the track, it's lines, it's cambers, the curves, the lot and then build your speed up. Sorry if you are sucking eggs but it was very valuable advice. Get to know the track before throwing it around. I ain't going to happen over night.

I learnt alot from patience that day than go 'hell for leather'.